Thermal Setup

OP
H

Hawkeye54

FNG
I’ve never been interested in AGM until now since they increased their warranty.

A couple guys I know have AGM scanners and say they suck in humidity. One borrowed a Super Hogster. He couldn’t see with the AGM but could with the Hogster that night.

I have also read that Bering’s and Iray’s do better in humidity than other brands. I do think my Bering products were as good or better in humidity than my Trij Mk3 60.

So if you hunt where it’s humid I would try to find what works good there.
The latest recommendation I got was the Iray GL 35R and the Zoom ZH38. Thoughts on that combo? Any idea on how that scope works on a bolt gun?

I know one person using the GL on a bolt action. The bolt handle hit the GL when cycling. So he put a riser on the rifle.

It is way harder now to decide compared to 2/3/5 years ago. The market is getting flooded.

I like the specs on the RL42 also. It doesn’t have a LRF though so if that is required than disregard.

Agreed the iray & bering (bering uses iray sensor) are best in humidity (just based of the thermals i have used) but my hunting partner used to have an axion and you wanna talk about a complete pile of $hit compared to both my AGMs and bering. The best i can describe the axion was like looking through a dirty fogged up microwave door. Pulsar could have fixed the issue recently but as off the last couple thermions & axions i have used they just don't stack up in the humidty.

Performance in humidity is one the most important factors to me. 6-7 years ago I couldn't have even found humidity on my weather app now it's the first thing I look at every day and up in the frozen tundra especially this year with all the ice fog it's been +85% humidity damn near every day.

OP
H

Hawkeye54

FNG
Agreed the iray & bering (bering uses iray sensor) are best in humidity (just based of the thermals i have used) but my hunting partner used to have an axion and you wanna talk about a complete pile of $hit compared to both my AGMs and bering. The best i can describe the axion was like looking through a dirty fogged up microwave door. Pulsar could have fixed the issue recently but as off the last couple thermions & axions i have used they just don't stack up in the humidty.

Performance in humidity is one the most important factors to me. 6-7 years ago I couldn't have even found humidity on my weather app now it's the first thing I look at every day and up in the frozen tundra especially this year with all the ice fog it's been +85% humidity damn near every day.
All good points. I’ll stay away from the Axion. Maybe dealers are trying to unload them and that’s why the keep getting recommended to me.

satchamo

WKR

The new pros hold their own in humidity - i can’t speak for the older models tho I’ve always hear they didn’t cut humidity

Just for fun look up infiray Rico 1280. The first 1280 resolution thermal on the market retails for 17,999. In its defense I’ve probably never seen a clearer scope but the price tag is ridiculous for the avg night hunter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YBPS

WKR
Just for fun look up infiray Rico 1280. The first 1280 resolution thermal on the market retails for 17,999. In its defense I’ve probably never seen a clearer scope but the price tag is ridiculous for the avg night hunter

Yeah. That thing is stupid.

Ok, I’ve narrowed it down to the Iray MK-1 or Bolt TH50. Help me pick one!
If I'm not mistaken, they both use the same 640 Micro II thermal core.
I'm guessing your looking at the MK1 50mm or 35mm?
I like that the bolt base mag is 3.5 vs. 3 of the MK1 for hunting coyotes in open terrain.
I don't recall if you stated if this will be mounted on a bolt action or an AR platform but if this was intended for a bolt-action, I would go with the bolt vs. the MK1.
Bolt is 3 or 4 oz heavier if that makes a difference to you.

tough decision, at this point i think you have did your due diligence and your going to enjoy either one. In the end if you're not satisfied with your purchase, you'll have no problem reselling it to one of the thousands & thousands of guys that purchasesd 384 units in the last 2-3 years.

satchamo

WKR
Ok, I’ve narrowed it down to the Iray MK-1 or Bolt TH50. Help me pick one!

MK1 - has LRF option. I haven’t looked through either but if we talk about the 384 versions of those scopes, the rl42 is better (imo) than a bolt 384.

OP
H

Hawkeye54

FNG
If I'm not mistaken, they both use the same 640 Micro II thermal core.
I'm guessing your looking at the MK1 50mm or 35mm?
I like that the bolt base mag is 3.5 vs. 3 of the MK1 for hunting coyotes in open terrain.
I don't recall if you stated if this will be mounted on a bolt action or an AR platform but if this was intended for a bolt-action, I would go with the bolt vs. the MK1.
Bolt is 3 or 4 oz heavier if that makes a difference to you.

tough decision, at this point i think you have did your due diligence and your going to enjoy either one. In the end if you're not satisfied with your purchase, you'll have no problem reselling it to one of the thousands & thousands of guys that purchasesd 384 units in the last 2-3 years.
Ended up with the Bolt. Thanks for answering all my questions!

Lil-Rokslider
That combo would work great for calling! A better set up will just cost you more (nicer scanner).
I bought a Hogster 35 for a scanner and a Super Yoter for my main scope last year. I picked up a $16 selfie stick with an internal battery off of Amazon, tapped a cheap piece of pic rail, and use the 35 on it. You won't have to worry about battery life.

I have put the 35 on an AR and my son has killed them out to 300 yards with it. I recently bought a Yoter C and I run it on a 3-15 Minox ZP5.006.JPG008.JPG016.JPG078.JPG

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never been interested in AGM until now since they increased their warranty.

A couple guys I know have AGM scanners and say they suck in humidity. One borrowed a Super Hogster. He couldn’t see with the AGM but could with the Hogster that night.

I have also read that Bering’s and Iray’s do better in humidity than other brands. I do think my Bering products were as good or better in humidity than my Trij Mk3 60.

So if you hunt where it’s humid I would try to find what works good there.
I will second this on the Berings being good in high humidity. I hunted a few weeks ago in 90% humidity and frost forming on the gun, call, and tripod. Didn't not any difference in visibility at all.

mkk

FNG
I purchased a Trijicon IR Hunter Mk3 60mm. It was mounted on a lightweight AR-15 with a quality flashlight. After the first week I realized I would need a scanner as well. That setup has some weight and it is fatiguing scanning for long periods moving the rifle around. I got a Pulsar Helion2 XP50 Pro for a scanner. The two compliment each other and make the night scanning much more relaxed. The Helion has a manual focus ring so you can focus for more clarity at targets at varying distances and inside of 50 yards. Also the multiple color palettes benefit on identifying targets. If I scan a target that needs the rifle, I can bring the Trijicon to bear. The 60 mm Hunter is amazing in the detail at distance. It is best on targets 50+ yards. Inside 50 yards the image is not as crisp because there is no manual focus ring. I use a tripod that will hold the rifle in a shooting position. I recently encountered a predator and quickly realized that the .223 was lacking. Depending on the nights mission it moves back and forth from AR-15 and AR-10.

I run this setup as well with the IRay Cabin 19 scanner. The IR Hunter is a fantastic scope

ksracer

FNG
What about the clip on units? Anyone use the iRay CH50W?

Bering is getting ready to release there version. I owned one of the first ones and sold it to 260284 last month. It's a large improvement over the previous model and an incredible unit.