Thermal Setup

Jreinf

FNG
I was using an agm rattler 25/256 ad a scanner and could use it as a spare scope for a buddy which was nice. I just got a thermion 2 xq 35 pro and am really happy with it the only downside to me is the 2.5 base mag. I’ll likely keep the scope but put it on a different gun and get another with higher base mag. As far as scanner I’m in the market for one too I was gonna just get an agm taipan since it really is just quick scans I make then get on the scope once I see there is coyotes but it seems to be the popular opinion to get a higher quality scanner. I still haven’t decided on one yet.

OP
H

Hawkeye54

FNG
Any thoughts on the Thermion 2 XP50 or Bolt TH50? Is one better than the other? Based on reviews, it doesn’t seem like you can go wrong with either one but looking for some unbiased opinions.

Any thoughts on the Thermion 2 XP50 or Bolt TH50? Is one better than the other? Based on reviews, it doesn’t seem like you can go wrong with either one but looking for some unbiased opinions.
Where you are hunting would you consider it open terrain ? Average shot distance ?
The IRay is a 12 micron unit with 3.5 base mag with 5 year warranty
The Thermion 2 XP50 is a 17micron 2 base mag with 3 year warranty

The 2 power base mag of the thermion would be a "no go" if you're going to coyote hunt any sort of open country. Everytime you zoom you cut your resolutioin in half so if you're in open country you'll always have the thermion zoomed at least 2x and now you basically have a $5k 320 scope.

Also there have been a ton of new thermals dropped this week at shot show. I'd hold off a little bit and you may see some discounts coming down the road for some discontinued models or new releases that entice you.

OP
H

Hawkeye54

FNG
Where you are hunting would you consider it open terrain ? Average shot distance ?
The IRay is a 12 micron unit with 3.5 base mag with 5 year warranty
The Thermion 2 XP50 is a 17micron 2 base mag with 3 year warranty

The 2 power base mag of the thermion would be a "no go" if you're going to coyote hunt any sort of open country. Everytime you zoom you cut your resolutioin in half so if you're in open country you'll always have the thermion zoomed at least 2x and now you basically have a $5k 320 scope.

Also there have been a ton of new thermals dropped this week at shot show. I'd hold off a little bit and you may see some discounts coming down the road for some discontinued models or new releases that entice you.
All good points. Totally forgot about the Thermion being a 2x base. I hunt quite a bit of open ground so the Bolt would be a better choice.

I agree with SD on the base mag. I haven't personally handled the Bolt. My buddy handled the Bolt 35 though and said it would be hard to press the buttons with gloves on. Not having tested that myself I can't say that is an issue. But it's definitely something I would check before buying it.

Running the Thermion 2 Pro without the LRF. Really regret not spending the extra cash up front for the LRF. Other than that it works great, visibility is good enough to identify hogs very clearly out to 300 yards so far at the Texas ranch I hunt on. Would highly recommend something with a built in laser range finder, estimating distance through a thermal is incredibly challenging for me at any rate.

-WARDOG-

FNG
I purchased a Trijicon IR Hunter Mk3 60mm. It was mounted on a lightweight AR-15 with a quality flashlight. After the first week I realized I would need a scanner as well. That setup has some weight and it is fatiguing scanning for long periods moving the rifle around. I got a Pulsar Helion2 XP50 Pro for a scanner. The two compliment each other and make the night scanning much more relaxed. The Helion has a manual focus ring so you can focus for more clarity at targets at varying distances and inside of 50 yards. Also the multiple color palettes benefit on identifying targets. If I scan a target that needs the rifle, I can bring the Trijicon to bear. The 60 mm Hunter is amazing in the detail at distance. It is best on targets 50+ yards. Inside 50 yards the image is not as crisp because there is no manual focus ring. I use a tripod that will hold the rifle in a shooting position. I recently encountered a predator and quickly realized that the .223 was lacking. Depending on the nights mission it moves back and forth from AR-15 and AR-10.

To touch on the LRF aspect brought up by @Woodsman1991
It is 100% a fact that judging an animal's distance through thermal can be difficult to start especially if it's wide open and you are a thermal newbie and especially so if you are hunting virgin ground. The biggest thing is your depth perception really gets weird when you start out, hell there was times starting out where i thought i saw a coyote way off in the distance only to realize it was a field mouse at 50 yards. I did purchase a LRF scanner but honestly, I don't even use the LRF function anymore, sometimes on new dirt before we start calling i will range a few spots just to get a baseline or will use the line distance tool on onX to measure a fence line, cattails, or a small group or trees or something but after spending a bunch of time hunting with thermal I can tell if it's in range just based of size of the dog through main & PIP screen. But I'm also one of them guys who don't like messing around with my scope, I don't record any hunts and usually when i get to a stand I just verify both my focus knobs are good and then don't touch it unless I'm shooting which is the reason i went with a LRF scanner instead of a LRF scope. I shoot a fairly flat round in the 224 Valkyrie using 60 grain vmax or ballistic tips and my base scope mag is 2.9 and I always have PIP turned on so i will use the PIP if its a longer shot.

@Hawkeye54 hope this helps in your decision making

OP
H

Hawkeye54

FNG
To touch on the LRF aspect brought up by @Woodsman1991
It is 100% a fact that judging an animal's distance through thermal can be difficult to start especially if it's wide open and you are a thermal newbie and especially so if you are hunting virgin ground. The biggest thing is your depth perception really gets weird when you start out, hell there was times starting out where i thought i saw a coyote way off in the distance only to realize it was a field mouse at 50 yards. I did purchase a LRF scanner but honestly, I don't even use the LRF function anymore, sometimes on new dirt before we start calling i will range a few spots just to get a baseline or will use the line distance tool on onX to measure a fence line, cattails, or a small group or trees or something but after spending a bunch of time hunting with thermal I can tell if it's in range just based of size of the dog through main & PIP screen. But I'm also one of them guys who don't like messing around with my scope, I don't record any hunts and usually when i get to a stand I just verify both my focus knobs are good and then don't touch it unless I'm shooting which is the reason i went with a LRF scanner instead of a LRF scope. I shoot a fairly flat round in the 224 Valkyrie using 60 grain vmax or ballistic tips and my base scope mag is 2.9 and I always have PIP turned on so i will use the PIP if its a longer shot.

@Hawkeye54 hope this helps in your decision making
You guys have, appreciate it!

2x seems to be the sweet spot for me. Anything more isn't worth the tradeoff of losing FOV in my opinion.

Word from shot show is you’re going to want to take a look at the new AGM sidewinder 640 scanner before you buy somthing else. Also starting Jan 1st 2023 all AGM optics will have a 5 year warranty which is huge IMO compared to pulsar’s 3 year warranty.

OP
H

Hawkeye54

FNG
Word from shot show is you’re going to want to take a look at the new AGM sidewinder 640 scanner before you buy somthing else. Also starting Jan 1st 2023 all AGM optics will have a 5 year warranty which is huge IMO compared to pulsar’s 3 year warranty.
I did see that. I was pretty set on getting the Bolt TH50 and an Axion 2 XQ but now I’m thinking otherwise. Way to many options! I’m also back to debating whether I want to use a scope as a scanner, can’t makeup my mind.

If you’re dead set on the axion go for it but I feel like you going to be disappointed in that unit. Think of it like deer hunting out west In the wide open and you have a night force scope on your rifle and then a pair of 8x20 Tasco binoculars around your neck .

Like I’ve said before I can’t stress enough how important it is for you to call & talk to a reputable dealer if you haven’t already.
Jason @ Outdoor legacy gear
Myron @ Feral Texas outdoors

OP
H

Hawkeye54

FNG
If you’re dead set on the axion go for it but I feel like you going to be disappointed in that unit. Think of it like deer hunting out west In the wide open and you have a night force scope on your rifle and then a pair of 8x20 Tasco binoculars around your neck .

Like I’ve said before I can’t stress enough how important it is for you to call & talk to a reputable dealer if you haven’t already.
Jason @ Outdoor legacy gear
Myron @ Feral Texas outdoors
Definitely not set the axion. I’ve called them and multiple others (probably too many) and they all seem to recommend the axion. A few have suggested the Irays but no other suggestions from them.

I’ve never been interested in AGM until now since they increased their warranty.

A couple guys I know have AGM scanners and say they suck in humidity. One borrowed a Super Hogster. He couldn’t see with the AGM but could with the Hogster that night.

I have also read that Bering’s and Iray’s do better in humidity than other brands. I do think my Bering products were as good or better in humidity than my Trij Mk3 60.

So if you hunt where it’s humid I would try to find what works good there.