The suppressor advantage for coyotes

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been wondering what advantages people have experienced who hunt coyotes with a suppressor and can say it made a definite positive impact on their level of success. The argument that coyotes won’t come in to the call after an unsuppressed shot is fired is bologna from my experience, so there has to be some legitimate things that suppressed guys have experienced and can say is a definite advantage of having one on your rifle. I killed this double last weekend (unsuppressed) on one stand and shot the second when I turned on coyote death cry after I killed the first one. He ran right up to the dead coyote and I shot him as he was sniffing her.
f4991d85f5d90b707df397c26fb8d116.jpg

I’ve been wondering what advantages people have experienced who hunt coyotes with a suppressor and can say it made a definite positive impact on their level of success. The argument that coyotes won’t come in to the call after an unsuppressed shot is fired is bologna from my experience, so there has to be some legitimate things that suppressed guys have experienced and can say is a definite advantage of having one on your rifle. I killed this double last weekend (unsuppressed) on one stand and shot the second when I turned on coyote death cry after I killed the first one. He ran right up to the dead coyote and I shot him as he was sniffing her.
f4991d85f5d90b707df397c26fb8d116.jpg
I shoot doubles and triples all the time using a pup in distress after the shot. They don’t blow out of the country unless they have been educated. Suppressors don’t make a difference.

Yotes have amazing hearing, they are hearing your suppressed rifle.

The argument that coyotes won’t come in to the call after an unsuppressed shot is fired is bologna from my experience, so there has to be some legitimate things that suppressed guys have experienced and can say is a definite advantage of having one on your rifle
The benefit of not having to use earpro would still apply. I always thought people considered that first and then everything else was just icing on the cake.

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I’m shooting without ear protection regardless, so any sound suppression is better than none for me. My suppressor will be out of jail in a month or two, hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m shooting without ear protection regardless, so any sound suppression is better than none for me. My suppressor will be out of jail in a month or two, hopefully.

Highly recommend earpro until it comes in but which model suppressor do you have coming in?

pirogue

WKR
If you don’t own a suppressor, are you trying to justify it by finding responders who have had success without a suppressor?

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Highly recommend earpro until it comes in but which model suppressor do you have coming in?

I went with the SilencerCo 46M. I own a 375 Ruger down to a 204 and it covers everything in between, except rimfire. Kind of annoying getting adapters and things figured out for my rifles, but that’s all taken care of now. I was able to shoot it a while back and I like the fact that I can shoot my 300 win on a bench without lead sled for longer shooting sessions. It’ll take some getting used to with the extra length/weight on the end of the barrel, but I think I’ll like it overall.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I will say I am pumped to try my suppressor this winter on yotes… on deer, a 400 plus yard shot. I killed a buck and they deer seemed to really have no clue what was going on, other bucks and does that is. They went back to feeding. As far as ear pro with it. If I’m shooting at a range on indoor, sure I’ll wear some. Hunting in the wide open, it is real quit no need for earpro

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
If you don’t own a suppressor, are you trying to justify it by finding responders who have had success without a suppressor?

If you read in a few responses prior, I mentioned my suppressor would be out of jail in a month or two. To reiterate my original post, I want to know what actual game changing impacts a suppressor has made for guys that use them out coyote hunting. Nothing more, nothing less.

mt100gr.

WKR
If you read in a few responses prior, I mentioned my suppressor would be out of jail in a month or two. To reiterate my original post, I want to know what actual game changing impacts a suppressor has made for guys that use them out coyote hunting. Nothing more, nothing less.

One advantage for me is not raising eyebrows or causing concern when I am shooting at night. I have a few places I hunt that are close enough to homes, a bowling alley/bar, etc that shots fired any and all hours of the night might get me some negative attention.

rogerthat

FNG
I hunt competitions. We have won every hunt multiple times in our area. Numbers have gone up with suppressors. It just doesn’t put things on alert like unsuppressed does. Yeah you got two but would you have got three suppressed? I have seen 7 killed on one set suppressed. You ever seen that unsupressed?

The first stand I ever made out here I called in a triple. I killed one and the others were gone. No suppressor at the time.

Same rifle but with a suppressor now. If a triple comes in I expect to kill 2 at least now. It does help imo but not always.

There are bigger benefits though besides when multiples come in at once. Your rifle is easier to shoot and stay on target. Your ears aren’t ringing after a shot or two.

And the last is when you shoot a single, maybe the dog over the ridge that you can’t see is more likely to come in. I have had way more multiple dog stands now with a suppressor than I have without.

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt competitions. We have won every hunt multiple times in our area. Numbers have gone up with suppressors. It just doesn’t put things on alert like unsuppressed does. Yeah you got two but would you have got three suppressed? I have seen 7 killed on one set suppressed. You ever seen that unsupressed?

This is the kind of thing I was wondering about. I wouldn’t have thought to extend my stand beyond killing that second coyote that came in after I killed the first. That’s very useful and I’ll be applying that in the future. I always thought anything called in after the first was icing on the cake, but to potentially more and more to come in would be amazing. This is all situation/area dependent I’m sure, but where I killed those two there are definitely more that were out there howling afterwards.

Tbone26

FNG
I wouldn’t hunt without one while night hunting. As mt100gr. mentioned, I too hunt in residential areas once in a while that could bring unwanted attention. Prior to having suppressors I had to deal with unpleasant neighboring properties a couple times and it is a bad look. A buddy of mine and I killed a quad in about a 15 minute stand with suppressors and I highly doubt it would’ve been the same outcome without them.

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
The first stand I ever made out here I called in a triple. I killed one and the others were gone. No suppressor at the time.

Same rifle but with a suppressor now. If a triple comes in I expect to kill 2 at least now. It does help imo but not always.

There are bigger benefits though besides when multiples come in at once. Your rifle is easier to shoot and stay on target. Your ears aren’t ringing after a shot or two.

And the last is when you shoot a single, maybe the dog over the ridge that you can’t see is more likely to come in. I have had way more multiple dog stands now with a suppressor than I have without.

This was something I was wondering about with multiple coyotes. Would you say that the further out they are, the less they react to the shot with a suppressor?

This was something I was wondering about with multiple coyotes. Would you say that the further out they are, the less they react to the shot with a suppressor?

I would say that and how educated they are.

Wind and terrain make a big difference also. Sometimes my call sounds so loud I feel like I could hear it 5 miles away. And sometimes I’m at max volume wishing I had multiple speakers so it’s even louder. Shots are the same.

I killed a couple singles on the same stand the other day. In front of me there is a hill running perpendicular to me. I’m looking up the rise and the crest is like 200 yards away.

The first coyote came in fairly close but heading down wind. I killed it around 80 yards. The second came over close to the same spot but angled further away. I killed it just over 200 yards and it got even further towards my wind before I was able to kill it.

I killed the one @9o’clock to me and the second @8:30 o’clock.

A third dog came in from about 8 o’clock. I was waiting for it to clear a post and it caught my wind and was gone. That dog came from the direction my muzzle was pointed when I shot the other two dogs.

Maybe it would have been exactly the same if I didn’t have a suppressor?

I feel it makes enough of a difference I have a beast of a suppressor on order just for coyote hunting. It’s a 338 Ultra Gen 2.

The other thing I’ve noticed on dogs I don’t call in. I spotted one @760. I was up on a point and it was in a thin strip of tall grass. Wind was guessed @14 where I was at. Nothing really to gauge with along the flight of the bullet. I missed. Couldn’t see where because of the tall grass. The dog ran closer. I killed it when it stopped @480.

It heard the sonic crack and the bullet hit by it when I missed. But it didn’t hear where it actually came from. I hadn’t been calling since the wife was deer hunting.

If I had been calling and it heard the crack I bet it wouldn’t have ran closer.

Little things like that plus shooting multiples tells me the suppressor helps. How much idk.

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I would say that and how educated they are.

Wind and terrain make a big difference also. Sometimes my call sounds so loud I feel like I could hear it 5 miles away. And sometimes I’m at max volume wishing I had multiple speakers so it’s even louder. Shots are the same.

I killed a couple singles on the same stand the other day. In front of me there is a hill running perpendicular to me. I’m looking up the rise and the crest is like 200 yards away.

The first coyote came in fairly close but heading down wind. I killed it around 80 yards. The second came over close to the same spot but angled further away. I killed it just over 200 yards and it got even further towards my wind before I was able to kill it.

I killed the one @9o’clock to me and the second @8:30 o’clock.

A third dog came in from about 8 o’clock. I was waiting for it to clear a post and it caught my wind and was gone. That dog came from the direction my muzzle was pointed when I shot the other two dogs.

Maybe it would have been exactly the same if I didn’t have a suppressor?

I feel it makes enough of a difference I have a beast of a suppressor on order just for coyote hunting. It’s a 338 Ultra Gen 2.

The other thing I’ve noticed on dogs I don’t call in. I spotted one @760. I was up on a point and it was in a thin strip of tall grass. Wind was guessed @14 where I was at. Nothing really to gauge with along the flight of the bullet. I missed. Couldn’t see where because of the tall grass. The dog ran closer. I killed it when it stopped @480.

It heard the sonic crack and the bullet hit by it when I missed. But it didn’t hear where it actually came from. I hadn’t been calling since the wife was deer hunting.

If I had been calling and it heard the crack I bet it wouldn’t have ran closer.

Little things like that plus shooting multiples tells me the suppressor helps. How much idk.

That’s great info! I put the SilencerCo 46m on my 204 since I know the guy who did all of the paperwork for it (he was there with me) and it is shocking how quiet that gun got and I see that combo being my main one-two punch. I’m excited to get it and put it to work! What rifle do you use primarily for coyotes?