The social dilemma

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I watched it. I feel like we already know most of the information. But, the documentary puts the pieces together so we can see how influential social media has become and why it's probably not a good thing (Rokslide of course is the exception since it is great).

Me and the wife watched it already. As already said above- we already know it’s happening. But it’s really interesting to see how worried the people who actually created the problem are about the direction it’s going. The thing that stuck with me through the whole thing is the line about there are only two industries that refer to their subjects as “users”- drugs and social media. I’ve been without Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. for over a month now and have immensely enjoyed not having them...

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
I've watched it but more than anything experienced it . I've taught for 39 years, the problems brought up in Social Dilemma make it impossible for me to be productive as a teacher. False narratives created and then reposted till they become facts have made it no longer enjoyable or worthwhile. I had a kid tell me the other day that the numbers of Covid deaths are all fakes by the democrats and then have 4 or 5 links where he's been reading it. I'll retire at the end of the year and start guiding hunters on a large ranch I'm renting. I'll actually make more money retired so that's not a big deal the last few years I was teaching for fun not money. The issue that I see is that truth in America is quickly becoming a thing of the past. You're correct the Social Dilemma creates a scary looking future for truth in this country.

I feel like a young 62 and I'll be taking 4 or so guys a year in central Nebraska 50% whitetails 50% mulies on cheaper trespass type hunts just to pay for most of the cost of ranch hunting rental. I've hunted the same ranch for 39 years and am going to rent it to avoid a Wyoming outfitter from renting it and locking me out.

ODB

WKR
I've been listening to Tristan Harris (the main guy in the film) for years. First heard him on Sam Harris' podcast. Absolutely depressing to know that we are simply commodities for tech.

What sucks is when you know people across the world who pretty much only use a social network to communicate. It's friggin hard to disconnect - no one writes letters anymore...

87TT

WKR
I didn't watch it but saw and see what you guys are talking about for years. I have never had and never will have facebook, twitter, instagram etc. Years ago I said facebook was the devil and nothing anyone has shown me changed that.

woods89

WKR
I haven't watched but am familiar with Tristan Harris from Adam Alter's book, Irresistible. He was also on Rogan's podcast recently.

A poster above said it best, IMO. Social media is distancing us from truth.

If someone is concerned or disgusted about the state of the world/country/whatever I think a social media delete and a positive cause to focus on in your own community will change the way you think.

ODB

WKR
I haven't watched but am familiar with Tristan Harris from Adam Alter's book, Irresistible. He was also on Rogan's podcast recently.

A poster above said it best, IMO. Social media is distancing us from truth.

If someone is concerned or disgusted about the state of the world/country/whatever I think a social media delete and a positive cause to focus on in your own community will change the way you think.

yup. It's funny - ever notice how the vast majority of our enemies are online, not next door?

how's that work??

CorbLand

WKR
Just watched it and it was very interesting. Things that we know are happening but it tied it altogether.

I am relatively young at 29 and feel like an outcast because I really only have Instagram and rarely use it. It’s crazy how much your life is better when it’s not full of bullshit you don’t need.

One thing I do find interesting is I watched it with my wife sitting next to me. She spends an assload of time in Facebook and Instagram. I asked her if she wanted to watch it with me and replied “no, those things just piss me off” and spent the entire hour and half looking at Facebook and Instagram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4rcgoat

WKR
I didn't watch it but saw and see what you guys are talking about for years. I have never had and never will have facebook, twitter, instagram etc. Years ago I said facebook was the devil and nothing anyone has shown me changed that.
Ive never plugged in,never will. They will NOT get into my head.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
I haven't watched it yet but it seems like something that would be useful to know. What did you think of it?
Think its disturbing that Zuckerberg thinks creating more virtual intelligence is the answer.

I liked the documentary. Got me to thinking. Why I posted this thread. Spread this thing around maybe open some eyes. I believe folks need to start taking back their lives and also think there's tons of people that don't see a problem. Forest through the trees kinda deal.
I'll be bringing this up to everyone I meet.

Was not shocked by anything in the doc...I am 43 never had a FB, Twitter, insta. I also do not invest in those companies. I have always been suspicious of companies that produce nothing and make millions. It also amazing how willfully folks give up their privacy for likes/attention.

What also cracks me up is all the people that talk about this as some social problem...the hell it is...the off button still works. If nobody uses this crap there is nothing to worry about.
But then again when 60% of Americans don't have the enough pesersonal discipline to put down the Big Mac cause its killing them...I guess not being able to put down a screen shouldn't be much surprise.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
I flirted with fb and Instagram for a minute. Long ago shut both doth down. I can see how kids that have never experienced anything different can get hooked. Especially considering how they are always trying to fit in and be cool. In my day it was the tye of tennis shoe you had. Or haircut or clothes on and on. Now its the type of phone, likes, pictures, posts. On and on.

Recon its a parental problem more then anything. Tough line. Don't want your kids to be without, also don't them addicted to drugs which is what this is...

*zap*

WKR
@ some point we will have to step back from tech or we are doomed. I already have simplified my life a great deal, still like some of the forums thou.

rayporter

WKR
i dont do twitter or facebook but the ol lady does. she goes off the deep end reading junk.

what is sad to watch is the kids. my neighbor had a son and wanted to have a great hunting partner with his son-----------who dont give a hoot about nothing but his phone.

i warned him when he gave a phone to a very young boy, the kid broke his heart. but he caused it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
yup. It's funny - ever notice how the vast majority of our enemies are online, not next door?

how's that work??
When there are billions online and just a handful next door, it's easy to see how that works.

And once all the lies, deceptions, mischaracterizations, and misunderstandings are pounded into folks as truth........over and over and over.........it's really hard to get folks to understand truth.......and logic. We see that even on here all the time. Brainwashing is easy.........but bringing them back to reality and truth is darn near impossible.

Shrek

WKR
The only thing that’s been lost is curated truth. Like the printing press liberalized the distribution of knowledge the internet is democratizing knowledge. The only real change is that there are few to no gatekeepers on social media so the manipulation of truth is now democratized. I have great faith I humans to navigate this new information jungle.