The Shoot2hunt Podcast

Archer86

WKR
No but not being complacent does as does carrying a spare mag or 2 in your pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
If I am backpack hunting I am not carrying a spare mag hell if I have my horses I don't carry a spare mag if you are shooting more then your mag can carry in a hunting situation you should probabaly re evaluate somethings

Wyo_hntr

WKR
If I am backpack hunting I am not carrying a spare mag hell if I have my horses I don't carry a spare mag if you are shooting more then your mag can carry in a hunting situation you should probabaly re evaluate somethings
So how many rounds total do you bring? 4?

If I were hanging my entire backpack hunt on four rounds, I'd be reevaluating my load out. What happens if you fall hard? You wouldn't confirm zero? You've never missed?

Archer86

WKR
So how many rounds total do you bring? 4?

If I were hanging my entire backpack hunt on four rounds, I'd be reevaluating my load out. What happens if you fall hard? You wouldn't confirm zero? You've never missed?
Take 10 rounds total. Never has failed me yet. Full mag and the rest in a ammo pouch in my pack or rifle scabbard if horseback.

I thought you guys don't confirm zero since you drop test your rifle set ups?

Last edited:

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Take 10 rounds total. Never has failed me yet. Full mag and the rest in a ammo pouch in my pack or rifle scabbard if horse back.

I thought you guys don't confirm zero since you drop test your rifle set ups?
So you bring ten extra rounds but the 4 ounces of magazine is over the line? (That's the weight of two 5rd tikka mags). Ok.

And no matter what optic is on my rifle l if the fall was serious enough or there was visible damage, I'd confirm zero.

You made it seem that you only took enough ammunition to load your rifle.."if you are shooting more then your mag can carry in a hunting situation". I apologize for the confusion.

Archer86

WKR
So you bring ten extra rounds but the 4 ounces of magazine is over the line? (That's the weight of two 5rd tikka mags). Ok.
Why shave the 6 oz on a tikka action if your going to bring the extra weight in magazines?
And no matter what optic is on my rifle l if the fall was serious enough or there was visible damage, I'd confirm zero.
Fair enough I would do the same.
You made it seem that you only took enough ammunition to load your rifle.."if you are shooting more then your mag can carry in a hunting situation". I apologize for the confusion.
didn't mean for it to come that way it was more along the lines of, it seamed guys are implying you need a extra mag so you can quickly drop a mag after launching all the ammo in one mag and load another mag to keep shooting at a animal I have never had to do that in a hunting situation and never will but that seamed to be the theme of why you need to bring a extra mag to quickly re load in a hunting situation

Carry on with the bear discussion I just bought a new 9mm for my grizzly carry save some weight and I shoot it better then a 10mm

Why shave the 6 oz on a tikka action if your going to bring the extra weight in magazines?
For me, weight carries very differently. I'm not an ultralight deep-backcountry hunter, so I don't mind having a box of ammo in my backpack. However, when (especially my kids) attempting to shoulder the rifle or carry for a couple miles on a sling that weight is noticeable. Running a suppressor also adds some awkward weight, so I'll trim weight to make room for that as I feel that's a 100% requirement for me and my boys.

atmat

WKR
didn't mean for it to come that way it was more along the lines of, it seamed guys are implying you need a extra mag so you can quickly drop a mag after launching all the ammo in one mag and load another mag to keep shooting at a animal
I carry a few extra mags and ammo, because there’s virtually no weight penalty over a dedicated ammo carrier with ammo. And if I needed to switch mags quickly, I theoretically could.

I’ve never had to, but if I’m carrying the ammo anyway it might as well be dual purpose.

I’ve had a couple opportunities where I’ve shot twice at an animal, and prior to hiking to it I just switch out the mag for a fresh one. Never know if I’ll be able to fill the other tag in my pocket, and it’s just easier than reloading the first mag.

jonpall

Lil-Rokslider
I try not to but I've been a part of enough rodeos where having an extra mag handy would have been nice. I don't actually currently have any hunting rifles with detachable mags though. Planning on trying one soon though with a tikka.

No. I didn’t recommend or advocate. I stated facts.

“There is no pistol cartridge that will guarantee, or even remotely cause enough damage to physiologically stop a bear with a non CNS hit. To guarantee a stop you must disrupt the CNS. Full stop, the end.

How much straight line penetration does it take to reach a bears brain? Once that depth has been achieved, then the most shootable gun/cartridge platform- will have the highest success rate overall.”

What I have measured- from snout to brain of grizzlies requires between 12-14 inches of penetration at most- that is traveling the entire length of the face to reach the brain.

While taking that into account, the 9mm has the most desirable attributes with more than sufficient penetration of all the common cartridges- with near identical wound channel size, and as much or more penetration than the most commonly recommended choice .
When taking all of those factors into account, plus the shootability, plus the weight- a reliable 22 mag pistol is what I choose if not using a 9mm.

So it was clickbait?

530794904dd5bbe66ae1895074fdaba4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lol, ok.

Do what you want. As obvioused by the question I responded to maybe you should.

There are many more reasons other than additional capacity to carry an additional
mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro