The Shoot2hunt Podcast

Yes, surprising how steady sitting and using trekking poles (old man mountain canes) are.
Fwiw, I did have the wiser quick sticks when I first shot this way but quickly ditched them as I had way more flexibility in just using the poles with interlaced grip straps.

Randy
I need to find mine and see how this works. I've always used dedicated shooting sticks but this would be a good solution if I can figure out how to just use the grip straps on trekking poles.

Anyone able to share the link of the video Form mentioned of him in the Rokstok thread manipulating the rear bag? Tried searching but came up empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it’s in that thread I just can’t find it. Tried searching keywords but couldn’t pin it down. Was just hoping someone remembered where is was exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That link should take you directly to the video, post #2182

@Formidilosus

Re the bag podcast.

I don’t know the last time you used a game changer, but the smaller ones now have a fill spout. You can empty and fill them with whatever and you can keep them at the perfect near shapeless fill through the life of the fabric. They don’t get super light with the provided fills but you could easily fill it with foam beads if that’s what your into. I keep mine empty enough that I can use it about anywhere.

Only downfall of them is AG ships them waxed pretty well and they take some break in.

I don’t even want a bag without a fill spout to adjust fill level. They almost never come just right, and after years and moisture almost always end up with too little.

@Formidilosus

Re the bag podcast.

I don’t know the last time you used a game changer, but the smaller ones now have a fill spout. You can empty and fill them with whatever and you can keep them at the perfect near shapeless fill through the life of the fabric. They don’t get super light with the provided fills but you could easily fill it with foam beads if that’s what your into. I keep mine empty enough that I can use it about anywhere.

Only downfall of them is AG ships them waxed pretty well and they take some break in.

I don’t even want a bag without a fill spout to adjust fill level. They almost never come just right, and after years and moisture almost always end up with too little.

I haven’t used one heavily in a while. The Gamechanger is Probably the best gamer bag made regardless, just not a hunting one for me.

If I'm hunting out of my climber or ladder stand I'm bringing my gamechanger. Huge difference in stability. I'm usually not carrying it very far though.

@Formidilosus is there a step by step layout somewhere already, for the drill you had Jake shoot, that you talked about on the recent podcast? I believe it was 21 total shots from various positions.

It’s a modified version of @Carl Ross Hunting Rifle Drill.

It’s a modified version of @Carl Ross Hunting Rifle Drill.

Awesome. Thank you.

Speaking from experience, I could barely hold MOA of deer, seated unsupported last year lol. Could not believe how unsteady that was 🤣🤣

I taught my kids the principles of marksmanship 99% in the sitting unsupported position
That was a conscious decision because it is stable enough to shoot consistently and learn a sound technique but doesn’t rely on props like a bench or prone supported
They have become very good shooters and have impressed may good shooters with their skill

@Formidilosus

The dogs and I listened to your current FF on non-prone shooting positions in the dark in camp on a ridge @7200’ tonight in southern New Mexico. Nice timing as we are doing 200-600ish yard field practice tomorrow. Great resources. Please keep them coming.

This morning I listened to the FF podcast about field shooting positions. I have shot many times from sitting supported with a set of sticks for the front, but never using sticks and a pack to support the rear.

I decided to give it a try today with my Howa Mini .223 with NXS 2.5-10x42 and 73 gr. ELD-M, H4895 powder, Lapua brass and CCI400 primers.

10 shots at 200 yards. Fired 5 shots, broke position, then fired second set of 5. I need to work on my horizontal stability.

DSCF2454.JPG

Last edited:
Back