The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

XRP is back on Coinbase. I've been sitting on a pile since the lawsuit started. I should probably sell but I'm hoping for a little more.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The whole court thing is the catalyst as you know. For the sake of crypto I hope they win. If they do I think all crypto will go crazy and then come back down, hard to say though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The whole court thing is the catalyst as you know. For the sake of crypto I hope they win. If they do I think all crypto will go crazy and then come back down, hard to say though.

I’ve been driving all day so…..

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
I guess all those people who took their money out in early 2023 because of the immediate recession missed out on 7-15% gains in most standard asset allocations. And from the last few posts people they may finally move back in?

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
I figure at 28 years old I have a long enough time horizon that even a mistake has a decent chance of working out long term. The chance of things breaking out big is probably worth taking

Only way to make money in the market is to be in the market.

Yes you’re young but mistakes could be very costly long term so buy real companies not future companies.

Strange times for sure. Same story for me as a couple weeks ago. Almost completely in SWVXX which is yielding 4.6% after expenses (Vanguard has a better MM fund, but you have to have a Vanguard account.) Oil stocks are still up but trading kinda sideways or slightly down this last week. Precious metals miners still doing jack and s***. NASDAQ continues to climb to the moon, so I sure mistimed that short the NASDAQ bet, but thankfully it was a small bet.

I try not to think about it too hard, but everything I thought would happen in the last 3 years, investing-wise, has pretty much gone 180 out. Proves to me that normal little guys like me, the average retail investor, are vulnerable little fish in a big ocean when the big market movers are in control and can turn the stock market up and down like they have it on a string. If I had a time machine I never would have waded into individual stocks at all, I would have just kept dumping money in VOO or VTSAX.

2531usmc

WKR
Strange times for sure. Same story for me as a couple weeks ago. Almost completely in SWVXX which is yielding 4.6% after expenses (Vanguard has a better MM fund, but you have to have a Vanguard account.) Oil stocks are still up but trading kinda sideways or slightly down this last week. Precious metals miners still doing jack and s***. NASDAQ continues to climb to the moon, so I sure mistimed that short the NASDAQ bet, but thankfully it was a small bet.

I try not to think about it too hard, but everything I thought would happen in the last 3 years, investing-wise, has pretty much gone 180 out. Proves to me that normal little guys like me, the average retail investor, are vulnerable little fish in a big ocean when the big market movers are in control and can turn the stock market up and down like they have it on a string. If I had a time machine I never would have waded into individual stocks at all, I would have just kept dumping money in VOO or VTSAX.
Lot to be said for monthly deposits in the S&P. In the long run, those guys probably beat everyone….

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
Question for those with more experience, the sp 500 index is pretty heavily weighted at the top. For a long term strategy is it reasonable to put the majority into the index and the other 20-30% into the top 20-25 companies? Seems you’d have the reliability but not completely miss the giant gainers (like NVDA this year)

Fowl Play

WKR
Question for those with more experience, the sp 500 index is pretty heavily weighted at the top. For a long term strategy is it reasonable to put the majority into the index and the other 20-30% into the top 20-25 companies? Seems you’d have the reliability but not completely miss the giant gainers (like NVDA this year)
True diversification it what gives you better "reliability" over very long terms (20-30+ years). Everyone's strategies are different, but I would consider all the top S&P 500 companies good quality companies. If you choose to invest in them more heavily, just make sure YOU know why you are doing that. Why specifically you think they will grow? Do you have familiarity with the industry? Etc. I do not day trade, I am more of a buy and hold. Others will give you different advice.

For me personally, my attempt to "cherry pick" good companies did worse than if I had just put everything into the S&P. I had some true winners, NVDA being one of my largest. But the losers still brought it down.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
This is a little backwards for a couple reasons. First, the index is weighted by market cap, so if you just buy the index you are definitionally heavy in the largest firms. Second, the giant gainers generally do not start among the top firms (if Apple were to 10x that would almost double the total market cap of the entire S&P 500). By buying the whole index you have a little piece of everyone, so if something blows up you already have some. Third, the top firms generally don't stay there (I don't have a link, but a source shouldn't be hard to find).

Plenty of research to show that for most people just regularly buying the index and otherwise ignoring it is the way to go. That's against the spirit of the thread, and certainly people have gotten wealthy by ignoring it, but as a starting point it's a great option. Play around with a small portion if you want to try stock picking, see how it goes.

z987k

WKR
There are multiple types of index funds. Some are weighted by market cap, but it sounds like what you might be more interested is an equally weighted fund. Here's a list of some.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
There are multiple types of index funds. Some are weighted by market cap, but it sounds like what you might be more interested is an equally weighted fund. Here's a list of some.
Thanks, I have looked into those, I’ll take a look through the list. This gives me a lot to think about. The majority of my money in my non-retirement account is in VOO and VTI. My retirement I have with a broker. I was just trying to think through it. I have some individual stocks that have done very well and I think that made me wonder how much I should allocate in different areas. But I think I’m getting a distorted picture about some things, partially because of my time doing has been the last 3-4 years and partially because my individual stocks have been apple, Tesla, nvidia, Amazon etc and they have been on an unusually good and probably artificial run since Covid. I’ve held some NVDA (pure dumb luck) since 2019 which I think gives me the wrong idea about how things usually go. I’m pretty risk averse but I’m young, so I think the ETF set and forget route is probably the best path for me. I just am trying to make sure that’s something that actually makes sense and is not just something I’ve convinced myself of in a bubble

z987k

WKR
Thanks, I have looked into those, I’ll take a look through the list. This gives me a lot to think about. The majority of my money in my non-retirement account is in VOO and VTI. My retirement I have with a broker. I was just trying to think through it. I have some individual stocks that have done very well and I think that made me wonder how much I should allocate in different areas. But I think I’m getting a distorted picture about some things, partially because of my time doing has been the last 3-4 years and partially because my individual stocks have been apple, Tesla, nvidia, Amazon etc and they have been on an unusually good and probably artificial run since Covid. I’ve held some NVDA (pure dumb luck) since 2019 which I think gives me the wrong idea about how things usually go. I’m pretty risk averse but I’m young, so I think the ETF set and forget route is probably the best path for me. I just am trying to make sure that’s something that actually makes sense and is not just something I’ve convinced myself of in a bubble

todd238

FNG
Just wondering who's taking advantage of this little dip in the market to buy some stocks on sale?

I like cruise lines. Carnivals always a good company and the Oil companies are getting hit.
It’s all about dollar cost averaging over the long run things will work out.
NVDA TSLA VOO QQQ