The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

I post here a lot, but disclaimer should be obvious that I'm not a millionaire and what do I know. It's just fun to talk about this stuff and get other peoples' thoughts on it. That said, good day for oil stocks despite crude prices kinda just winding up flat -- PR got back up to about $10, CVX hit $156. I also made a little wager today I've been thinking about for a couple weeks now which is a small position of SQQQ to short the NASDAQ. NASDAQ feels "toppy" to me right now, at least local top, and more and more articles coming out the last day or two about expect a NASDAQ pullback, now's the time to take profits, etc. But my small bets right now (outside of 85% of my brokerage being in SWVXX MMF just safely earning about 4.6% after expenses) are on oil rising, NASDAQ falling.

Last edited:

Bbell12

WKR
A question for those of you who post on this thread regularly, and I know this has probably been asked quite a bit and I apologize for that but I’m looking to learn more about the stock market and I was wondering if there is a podcast or YouTube channel you guys would recommend to help me do so.

A friend of mine recommended The Stock Guy but I wanted to also pose the question here to see if there might be something better.

I post here a lot, but disclaimer should be obvious that I'm not a millionaire and what do I know. It's just fun to talk about this stuff and get other peoples' thoughts on it. That said, good day for oil stocks despite crude prices kinda just winding up flat -- PR got back up to about $10, CVX hit $156. I also made a little wager today I've been thinking about for a couple weeks now which is a small position of SQQQ to short the NASDAQ. NASDAQ feels "toppy" to me right now, at least local top, and more and more articles coming out the last day or two about expect a NASDAQ pullback, now's the time to take profits, etc. But my small bets right now (outside of 85% of my brokerage being in SWVXX MMF just safely earning about 4.6% after expenses) are on oil rising, NASDAQ falling.
I checked yesterday and my brokered cd's were at 5.35, secondary market treasuries 5.23, taxable munis 5.25 and 3 year fixed annuity 5.38.
It's a good time to get money out of a cash position and into something at least!

Reactions: JVS

Fowl Play

WKR
I checked yesterday and my brokered cd's were at 5.35, secondary market treasuries 5.23, taxable munis 5.25 and 3 year fixed annuity 5.38.
It's a good time to get money out of a cash position and into something at least!
With so many high interest savings accounts at rates from 4-5% now, I have a hard time locking money down in CD's.

Just found this chat, not sure I'll ever be able to comb through all the 568 pages. I dabble in several stocks in a "if I'm a consumer and like the product, may as well be an owner" mentality. Some years I'm a genius, some... not so much... I've now pretty much given up on serious investing based on this. I still dabble with some money cause it's fun to have companies to watch, but bulk of my stock investing now goes into VOO. Still consistently beats out the rest of my portfolio long term. Who in here is actually consistently beating the market and what is your strategy if you do? You dropping money on the same programs mutual fund managers do?

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
A question for those of you who post on this thread regularly, and I know this has probably been asked quite a bit and I apologize for that but I’m looking to learn more about the stock market and I was wondering if there is a podcast or YouTube channel you guys would recommend to help me do so.

A friend of mine recommended The Stock Guy but I wanted to also pose the question here to see if there might be something better.
I'll suggest this book as a good place to start.

Eddie

1686853195199.png

street

WKR

Don't go to YT to learn about the market.

My bet on oil has been a good one so far, PR and CVX doing well since I bought. My bet to short the NASDAQ has gone laughably sideways. The NASDAQ rises on all news right now, good and bad, every day just a constant march higher. So good to anyone that got in on that play early enough.

Paradox

FNG
My bet on oil has been a good one so far, PR and CVX doing well since I bought. My bet to short the NASDAQ has gone laughably sideways. The NASDAQ rises on all news right now, good and bad, every day just a constant march higher. So good to anyone that got in on that play early enough.
Yeah, wish I’d bought NVDA about $150 a share ago. Pretty pricey now.
Still buying calls on apple and a few others. At least I can play a $185 stock for $20🤷🏻‍♂️
I think it is going to turn one day soon but I’m not betting on it.

Beendare

WKR
Disclaimer; I’m no economist.
My thought is that even with higher interest rates inflation will be persistent. Some components will come down that are real estate related; Home values for sure.

Personally I don’t trust the politicized Fed agencies that exclude the key components in the avg families budget; food and energy

The policies that are making it harder and more costly to do business with more red tape literally has to drive up the costs of goods and services. Thus, I’m not selling my Oil related investments as this is a tangible product. The current regime is trying their best to make oil related commodities worthless but I think we will see an event or demand prove this wrong.

FWIW, I’m not loading up on oil but holding the decent sized position I already own.

Disclaimer; I’m no economist.
My thought is that even with higher interest rates inflation will be persistent. Some components will come down that are real estate related; Home values for sure.

Personally I don’t trust the politicized Fed agencies that exclude the key components in the avg families budget; food and energy

The policies that are making it harder and more costly to do business with more red tape literally has to drive up the costs of goods and services. Thus, I’m not selling my Oil related investments as this is a tangible product. The current regime is trying their best to make oil related commodities worthless but I think we will see an event or demand prove this wrong.

FWIW, I’m not loading up on oil but holding the decent sized position I already own.
Also not an economist, or financial advisor, or professional stock trader. However, I'm worried that house prices won't necessarily even come down. I don't know how common this is nationally, but around where I live the housing supply is so far short of where it needs to be that prices haven't dipped yet. They went flat for a short period over the winter, then started rising again when we got into the spring.

I am hopeful that some food prices will come down (particularly poultry related products) as other outside factors like bird flu go away, but I also don't really know what the state of the fertilizer market is, and therefore the price of crops that go into feeding us and any farm raised animals. I think that would be the biggest issue for food prices.

As to oil prices, I have no clue where things will go. Obviously oil is a real physical commodity, but it's also something that people try to reduce their use of if we go into a full blown recession (which seems possible). Alternately, you do have the Saudis saying they will be cutting production to increase prices during the election year, which would be good for stock holders (not necessarily great for the public at large).

ORHunter

WKR
Anyone here still in CGXEF? Good volume today and up 28% so far. Hopefully good news coming soon.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Sweden just announced they are changing their renewable energy program to focus on nuclear. Finally, someone is doing the math and they realized that all renewables are not viable.

Has anyone researched nuclear power as an investment?

I’ve played with uranium over the years and it’s a volatile, commodity subject to manipulation. I looked at NuScale symbol is SMR, that just got approved by the department of energy, but it appears they have not sold any of these Small nuclear reactors.

I think this is the wave of the future but I just don’t have a good clear-cut way of investing in it

stevewes2004

Lil-Rokslider
I work in the nuclear industry (Duke Energy), and though I haven’t invested in stand alone nuclear type companies, I can say that Duke has a plan to be carbon free by 2050 and a big part of that plan is expanding nuclear. There’s something to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JVS

Beendare

WKR
I’m just going to plop this here. I like to look at bellwether companies as an indicator on the direction of where the economy is heading.
Not good news on where things are going from Nike.

The sneaker and apparel company reported its first earnings miss in three years as margin pressure reduced profits.

Nike reported adjusted earnings per share of $0.66 vs. the $0.67 expected. Revenues of $12.83 billion topped the expected $12.50 billion.

Unfortunately, the company could not progress on reducing its bloated inventory levels, with them coming in flat YoY at $8.5 billion. Gross margins fell again this quarter, dropping 1.4 percentage points to 43.6%. Driving that decline was higher product input costs, elevated freight and logistics expenses, greater promotional activity, and unfavorable currency exchange rates.

I’m just going to plop this here. I like to look at bellwether companies as an indicator on the direction of where the economy is heading.
Not good news on where things are going from Nike.

The sneaker and apparel company reported its first earnings miss in three years as margin pressure reduced profits.

Nike reported adjusted earnings per share of $0.66 vs. the $0.67 expected. Revenues of $12.83 billion topped the expected $12.50 billion.

Unfortunately, the company could not progress on reducing its bloated inventory levels, with them coming in flat YoY at $8.5 billion. Gross margins fell again this quarter, dropping 1.4 percentage points to 43.6%. Driving that decline was higher product input costs, elevated freight and logistics expenses, greater promotional activity, and unfavorable currency exchange rates.

This is interesting, especially the last part “unfavorable currency exchange rates.”

Are you saying China was giving the poor exchange rates or the buying power of USD has dropped or maybe both?

Beendare

WKR
This is interesting, especially the last part “unfavorable currency exchange rates.”

Are you saying China was giving the poor exchange rates or the buying power of USD has dropped or maybe both?

Thats not me saying that...its Nike management....read that everything is cutting into their margins...which is the case in my businesses...... and probably every business across the country.