The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

Futures are ripping higher. +1.5%

I’m having flashbacks to the Covid crash of massive swings and volatility…

Also, anybody going to jail over this? Cuz us taxpayers just bailed out some millionaire peckerhead because of his bad decisions…

Last edited:

Also, anybody going to jail over this? Cuz us taxpayers just bailed out some millionaire peckerhead because of his bad decisions…
Yes, I'm surprised to see this all of these, but am especially glad to see the last price update. :)

1678668847434.png

Eddie

The FED response has been just that, they will protect the deposits but not the bank.

Ugh!

A small part (a very small part) of me is sympathetic to depositors losing their money, but in this case it has to do with the power/influence nature of those that lost money.

And if only the idiots running the bank would go to prison for their pure imcompetance, that small part would get just a little bigger, but there's zero chance the boneheads running the bank (and making decisions to benefit themselves) will spend any meaningful time behind bars.

Eddie

Ah yeah, SIPC coverage too, I never think about that one, only FDIC.

Fed just announced first new bailout program — Bank Term Funding Program — to ensure liquidity in the system and “bolster the capacity of the banking system to safeguard deposits and ensure the ongoing provision of money and credit to the economy."

Futures are already WAY up on the news. So this is the big break that the Fed would tighten til (The Fed will tighten til something breaks), and I suppose good chance the whole tightening and raising rates dream is already over. Kinda crazy to think that our leveraged economy couldn’t even get to 5% rates before total electrical failure.

Ha, seeing this new program, BTFP, already being referred to as “Buy the F—ing Pivot.” Anybody’s guess now what happens this week on another hot CPI print. Is that a huge selloff or a huge buy? Volatility is going to be insane this week.

I think you’re right about the tightening and raising rates dream is over.

But that also means that we will have to live with inflation in the 4 or 5% range for the foreseeable future. Nothing is quite as crippling for working families as high(er) levels of inflation. Things are going to get pretty ugly for a lot of Americans.

And for investors/Ira holders, what to do with your investments. Hold cash long term and inflation eats it all away…..the very definition of compounded losses.

or do you hold stocks full well knowing they may drop 50% but (hopefully) will someday climb back up…..QE to infinity.

Y’all were aware that the CAO of SVB, was previously the CFO of Lehman Bros, right? Anyone see a pattern here? 😒 I think association with failures twice in a row is jail time.

Welcome to the world of

Private PROFITS but Socialized LOSSES.

This leads to high risk decisions. You win, and you make it big, yet when you lose, you just get bailed out and stay whole. Therefore why not take big bets???

That is the problem plaguing the nation, nobody puts any thought into decisions because we don’t let them fail.

Participation trophy anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome to the world of

Private PROFITS but Socialized LOSSES.

This leads to high risk decisions. You win, and you make it big, yet when you lose, you just get bailed out and stay whole. Therefore why not take big bets???

That is the problem plaguing the nation, nobody puts any thought into decisions because we don’t let them fail.

Participation trophy anyone?

Whoa let's back up a little with the rhetoric not based in fact. There's a big difference between bailing out the bank and it's share holders versus letting the bank fail and insuring the depositors. Unless something has changed this morning and SVB is being bailed out?

Whoa let's back up a little with the rhetoric not based in fact. There's a big difference between bailing out the bank and it's share holders versus letting the bank fail and insuring the depositors. Unless something has changed this morning and SVB is being bailed out?

No there isn’t. Especially in this case. That bank wasn’t full of average American citizen accounts!

It’s full of Silicon Valley tech company deposits. The same people who raise massive capital to never turn a profit. They bailed out tech businesses who paid no attention to what was going on. So the bank itself went under, there’s no lesson learned there when the people who supported and ran the bank didn’t lose anything.

You do also realize just right before the FDIC stepped in and took over the bank paid out bonuses right?

No there isn’t. Especially in this case. That bank wasn’t full of average American citizen accounts!

It’s full of Silicon Valley tech company deposits. The same people who raise massive capital to never turn a profit. They bailed out tech businesses who paid no attention to what was going on. So the bank itself went under, there’s no lesson learned there when the people who supported and ran the bank didn’t lose anything.

You do also realize just right before the FDIC stepped in and took over the bank paid out bonuses right?

I was thinking the same thing based on the news that I've heard. The executives sold large portions of their holdings in the bank before it crashed (so they largely cashed out and aren't going to be hurt by this nearly as much as they should be), and gave out bonuses hours before the feds came in and shut it down.

Additionally, without bailing out the depositors, there is still a mechanism for depositors to get back most of their money that was above the $250,000 threshold. Based on the breakdown of the podcast I'm listening to, depositors with more than $250k in their accounts would have likely gotten 90% of their funds back from selling off the banks assets (as is typically done in bankruptcy). I think that a 10% trim on money that you were stupid with seems like an appropriate means to teach lessons.

If you want to argue feelings and morality, start a new thread. I'm happy to have that conversation, but I'm not going to derail their stock trading thread for non technical analysis that has nothing to do with stock prices.

Reactions: pew
Last edited:
Back