The Rokslide/First Lite Buck Hunt - Ryan Avery/ Kenton Carruth

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Love the Ryan jabs (howitzer, Willie). Show no mercy.

Out glassing by 6:40. With about 2" snow and 25 degrees. Bucks are ruttin good. At daylight to about 9 we glassed about 40 deer in and out of the quakies. A few small bucks trying to breed. About 9:30 Ryan saw a big bodied buck appear at the edge of a brush patch at 1500 yards. Through the ATS Swarovski 80mm I could see he was fairly heavy but only about 22-24 so we passed. 11 now. Lay low till about 2 then check another area. We'll post some pics of the country soon

dotman

WKR
Love the Ryan jabs (howitzer, Willie). Show no mercy.

Out glassing by 6:40. With about 2" snow and 25 degrees. Bucks are ruttin good. At daylight to about 9 we glassed about 40 deer in and out of the quakies. A few small bucks trying to breed. About 9:30 Ryan saw a big bodied buck appear at the edge of a brush patch at 1500 yards. Through the ATS Swarovski 80mm I could see he was fairly heavy but only about 22-24 so we passed. 11 now. Lay low till about 2 then check another area. We'll post some pics of the country soon

What crazy is that is within range for Ryan!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Tim, Ryan said not enough time to get ready. Besides, I think we can find better.

Clarktar

WKR
I hope this means the Rut is starting to kick off her in MT also! Have fun guys.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What are your guys expectations as far as deer quality?

I'm good with this.
57a07cd52de2dba75124af7ca84e257e.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'll pummel Ryan if he shoots one of those. Already passed up three.

There's always big buck opportunity up here but they're still hard to get.

I took this photo in September up here. However, I haven't seen him since then, even after spending 12 days guiding elk hunters. Really hoping that he shows up. The full video that pic came from is on the blog
http://www.rokslide.com/easyblog/entry/huntin-the-pockets-day-13-16

attachment.php

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm good with this.

Just be careful where you hit him with that 338LM, you'll be searching for pieces of meat. I shot a forky like that with a 7mag one time and the first thing that hit the ground was his chin. I swear all four legs went straight out, and he went straight down. There was a hole on the other side of him that I could have thrown a softball through.

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
Just be careful where you hit him with that 338LM, you'll be searching for pieces of meat. I shot a forky like that with a 7mag one time and the first thing that hit the ground was his chin. I swear all four legs went straight out, and he went straight down. There was a hole on the other side of him that I could have thrown a softball through.

good luck guys. yea, let's see the wound channel on that buck with the 338LM haha. Ryan - are you shooting 300 OTM Bergers? This should be interesting.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I don't plan to shoot under 500 yards.

Yep, 300 grains of protein

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Left camp at 2:30, hiked to top and started glassing/moving slow through some good quakie country. Ryan's killin' it with 12x50 Swaros on the tripod. Just saw does and bull elk tonight. Cold! Here's some pics from this evening
attachment.php

attachment.php

Ryan's "cannon". I do have to say as an outfitter that I've changed my mind on the big guns the last 10 years. You lose a lot of meat if you hit them wrong no matter what caliber and at least with the big guns, I usually find the animal even if things don't go quite right
attachment.php

Kenton's 6.5 Creedmoor. Sweet "little" gun. First one I've seen. Similar to a Remington 260, but considered by some to be more accurate
attachment.php

At last shooting light, Kenton broke out some old nasty bourbon that's been in his pantry 10 years- Ryan didn't care, he'd drink fermented moose pee
attachment.php

attachment.php

Back at the trailer now. Kenton's cooking up the Fajitas, I'm on the computer and Ryan's talking all things guns, army, and international beer- happens when we let him drink