The realization of field shooting ineffectiveness

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t count the number of folks who have missed chances on coues deer especially. They simply can’t find the animal in their scope. Once you’re past 400 yards (yardage for 70+% of coues deer kills I’ve been a part of) the number of folks that can effectively get the deer in their scope and get a shot off in time is scarily low.

Yes. You need to quickly ID the animal and execute. I see a lot of videos with people in prone, kestrel out, scrolling ballistic app, adjusting bipod, doing some yoga to loosen up, etc. Way too slow in the field.

Guides here in NZ complain about this. Hunters come down with way too much gun, way too much magnification, and are diddling their phones/kestrels as the animal walks off into the bush. Also like you said, can't find the animal (usually too much magnification), or have not practiced finding animals enough in binos and moving to the rifle to do it there.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Yes I don't think people understand how quickly you need to ID the animal execute. I see a lot of videos with people in prone, kestrel out, scrolling ballistic app, adjusting bipod, etc. Way too slow in the field.

Guides here in NZ complain about this. Hunters come down with way too much gun, way too much magnification, and are diddling their phones as the animal walks off into the bush. Also like you said, can't find the animal (usually to much magnification), or have not practiced finding animals enough in binos to do it quickly when on the rifle.
Preach!!!

We had a gal with us 2 seasons ago who said she was ready. Got her onto a group of 4 bucks opening morning who were fighting and distracted. They were 400 yards out so they couldn’t hear her making way too much noise trying to get set up.

We waited and waited and waited. Kept them in our binos and were constantly giving her animal position updates and current yardages to the different bucks. She never got a shot before they topped out, must have been 20 minutes.

Two days later we got her onto a young spike buck who was stupid and curious. 225 yards out but due to him being in broken terrain and slowly moving, she couldn’t get him in her scope and get comfortable. He was staring at us broad side multiple times for 5 minutes at a time. Again, no kill.

We hunted for 7 days with no kill. I talked to her husband after the hunt and told him that she wasn’t ready and needed to practice all year long with her gun.

This is one recent example, but the same stuff happens every single year when I hunt/guide with folks.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Two stories that I remember from guides:

Guy setup on deer that was about 150m away. Ranged it and dialed(!). Then messed up the shot with a magnum and wounded it. Animal hit multiple times and ran. Found it later and put in finishing shot.

Another on an animal a few hundred meters away. Guy pulling out ballistic app finger banging the phone for some time. Guide tells him: "Take the shot, mate." Animal walked off into the bush and not seen again. This guide has multiple stories like this.

I've seen, and experienced, ballistic app errors in matches/hunts. Wrong data, set the wind wrong, accidentally change something and didn't realize, etc. Even worse, you are looking at your phone and not what the animal is doing or where it is moving.

Or, you get the app trued during practice and during an update a bug is introduced and everything is wrong but you don't realize it (seen that also).

I keep dope table taped to my rifle. If the animal is 400m and closer, I am not going to mess with an app or Kestrel. If I feel the wind is so bad I need the Kestrel at that distance to make a hit, I'm going to move closer. You have to keep your eyes on the animal and decide if you want it or not. If you want it, don't delay.

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
I guided my bro in law on a mule deer last year. It was bedded down and picture perfect 250-275 yards. He is inexperienced and it was so hard for me to understand how he couldn’t find the buck in the scope, it took no less than 10 minutes. Once he did get it, I told him where to aim and I admittedly instructed him wrong. He barely shot over it and it stood up and slowly walked/paused/walked off the hill, he could never get back on it again. Whereas a more experienced shooter could have gotten off another shot easily.

Time in the field and just glassing game with your scope helps immensely. Visualization of the shot sounds corny but I feel like that has helped me over the years. Pick the presumed area an animal would step out and aim at it or aim at the lone doe 300 yards away and visualize shooting it. Use good gun safety and judgement when doing so.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
If a guy were to set one of these up, what would be the make or break for you to show up?

Ie how many rounds is too many to require? 50 too many?
Is a 2 mile walking course on moderate terrain in July temps doable, likely 85-90 degree desert heat?
Novel shooting positions at each station, only allowed what you carry hunting.
I like the original posted course.
13 targets, shooter gets three shots per
At least one target requiring a reload.
Ranges from 50-600 yards, small canyon to work with
Times seem excessive at 2:30, but I do some timed practice and wouldn't want to ruin the experience for people who haven't, at the same time don't want to allow time for gaming it w big ass tripods and such.
Stakes for winner - loser?

Safety would be a big concern inviting unknown people to join...
I've never been to or participated in a match, can't stand shooting at public ranges r/t safety violations. Any one have some basic RO rules they can share?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If a guy were to set one of these up, what would be the make or break for you to show up?

Is a 2 mile walking course on moderate terrain in July temps doable, likely 85-90 degree desert heat?
Times seem excessive at 2:30, but I do some timed practice and wouldn't want to ruin the experience for people who haven't, at the same time don't want to allow time for gaming it w big ass tripods and such.

I've never been to or participated in a match, can't stand shooting at public ranges r/t safety violations. Any one have some basic RO rules they can share?
81 is our projected overnight LOW temperature for the foreseeable future. 85-90 as the high sounds amazing to me haha.

I’d love to try and do a get together for shooting if timing and location works out. Maybe make a weekend camping trip out of it to attract folks from further away? Rokslide camping/shooting get together sounds really fun.

50 rounds is quite low for a day of shooting for me personally.

2 mile walking with pack on, and taking off to shoot at targets 50-600 yards sounds great.

Timed practice in my opinion is one of the only ways to get more proficient. If guys are taking time to get a tripod out and set up they are missing animals in the field guaranteed.

Safety would be my number one concern and I’d like for folks to learn how to properly use a bolt action rifle before I’d shoot with them. When I used to teach, basic fundamentals and safety were always very first.

Weldor

WKR
81 is our projected overnight LOW temperature for the foreseeable future. 85-90 as the high sounds amazing to me haha.

I’d love to try and do a get together for shooting if timing and location works out. Maybe make a weekend camping trip out of it to attract folks from further away? Rokslide camping/shooting get together sounds really fun.

50 rounds is quite low for a day of shooting for me personally.

2 mile walking with pack on, and taking off to shoot at targets 50-600 yards sounds great.

Timed practice in my opinion is one of the only ways to get more proficient. If guys are taking time to get a tripod out and set up they are missing animals in the field guaranteed.

Safety would be my number one concern and I’d like for folks to learn how to properly use a bolt action rifle before I’d shoot with them. When I used to teach, basic fundamentals and safety were always very first.
Yeah, you gotta love the mirage at 110F

Dry fire practice can help a lot. I use a DFAT trainer and their target cards, and a little giant ladder or other props in the garage. Just keep building positions, checking body and wobble zone, work on perfect trigger presses, and practice a couple times a week. Really helps. View attachment 731680

This type of setup is really good in helping perfect your cheek weld for parallax, too. It's not as much of an issue with parallax-adjustable scopes, but before those were common you had to be even more careful with eye placement, to make sure it was perfectly centered in the eyebox. If you don't (or if your parallax adjustment doesn't go down to garage distances), the target will move back and forth under the crosshairs if you move your head slightly. That can result in misses.

To align your eye for parallax, you basically pull your head back until you can see shadow perfectly even around the image, so that you're centered left-right/up-down, and then move your head forward to fill the eyebox back up with the image. You'll know you're centered front-back in the eyebox when there's almost zero movement of the target-crosshair alignment with slight head movement in any direction.

OP
Strider

Strider

Lil-Rokslider

The goal for me was to challenge myself and my buddies. We all shoot TAC or Other 3d archery shoots every year but never practice with our rifles.
As far as what gets people there. Competition, prizes, and food. We all pitched in and bought 3 more targets for it. Those were prizes for the top 3. I feel a lot of people will come if personally invited. Not a lot of normal hunters seek this stuff out but if you invite them. They will come. We did a tailgate cookout after humping the steel back and that was a lot of fun.

As far as the shoot format.
If it's a Rokslide shooting rally (The Rokshoot?). Then the more rounds the better. But if you are planning on doing it with buddies who may not be devout shooters or subscribe to the teachings of Form. Then they will complain about having to buy their expensive Magnum ammo haha. As far as rnd count I think it just depends on the group shooting.
Time limits don't need to be 2:30. On all shots on a single plate almost every one was breaking their shot under 60ish seconds. Safety is huge. We did empty chambers, mags out, bolts open at all times.

If you plan it people will come.