The realization of field shooting ineffectiveness

Strider

Lil-Rokslider
All last winter I read the literary works of the "cult" leader / small caliber prophet @Formidilosus. I drank the kool-aid. Rebarreled my tikka to a 6.5cm and scrounged up a SWFA 3-9 and started buying ammo in bulk. My volume of shooting increased by 10x. I stopped letting my barrel cool. Shot 10 and 20 round groups for a legit zero. Got my groups to 1.25moa for 10rds prone off bags. Then actually started to practice off my pack and poles. This all lead to planning a little shooting competition for my friend group. It was 13 8"-12" targets spread out through a clear cut. Shots were 300-800ish. It was to simulate hunting. We had to hike in with just hunting gear. Each shot under 600yds was timed. It was 3pts for a first round impact. 1pt for a 2nd round impact. So max points was 39. I ended up winning with 17pts. Field shooting is incredibly hard. It was a real eye opener for me. I thought I was practiced and prepared. The first shot of the day was 400yds on a 10" gong. There was 0 first round hits. 0 first round hits with a 2:30 minute timer maybe 2mph wind and a solid log to shoot off of. There was 9 of us shooting. With all but 2 being extremely avid hunters and guides. A few guys have hit and eventually killed animals out to 780yds. By the end of the shoot 1st round hits were more common. But that was 20 or so shots in. The rifle systems were primarily magnums with 3-15x scopes. No one and I mean not a single person were spotting their missed shots. Not seeing your own impact is a legit handicap when shooting from improvised positions on the field.

Also of note. I read a lot of people saying scope rings and action screws don't need thread lock. Out of 9 people we had one scope come loose at the bases and another rifle that's action screws were incredibly loose. you could grab the barrel and turn the action back and forth. That's over 20% failure rate of gun systems.

My take away is this. If you want your on demand effective range to be over 300yds in the field. You must go shoot in the field. You can not just practice field position on a flat range. You must go shoot in the field under some sort of stress. It's almost like Form knows what he is talking about...

I would encourage every one to hump some steel into the woods and have a fun / eye opening day with some friends.

Last edited:
I’m up for a bit of brotherly competition. Be it known that I reserve the right to cuss at and name call anyone who laughs at me for being out of breath after trotting over mountains carrying gear. But I’ll be so out of breath I’m sure I won’t have enough wind to be very effective at it. I live in Wyoming but I get to Idaho periodically for business. Maybe we could get something together. I may be able to get some of my Montana/Wyoming friends to participate. Let me know what you have in mind.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a great time and excellent practice. We have some huge steel plates set up at our ranch in Wyoming, but I think I’ll be setting up my 8-10” plates at random distance to shoot from different positions.

Stickmark

FNG
I am on a similar journey. Upping the round count has allowed me to be face some reality, and all of this at 300 or yards. I can't shoot kneeling for a dern, and the hasty sitting is way better for me.

That BackFire TV challenge is something a friend and I want to emulate. He states "one shot, and where I miss that one shot, that is a distance beyond my effective range" or something like that.

Wrench

WKR
I'm fortunate enough to have a shooting pard who's also my neighbor.....and we live where we can shoot to north of a mile without issues.

I just bought myself a bipod as I always shoot from my pack. My pard rocks an accutac. I think the secret on what you choose is reproduction of the recoil event shot to shot. It's not as easy as it sounds especially if you have a pile of rifles with different shaped stocks.

Poser

WKR
About an hour drive up the road, I have a spot that was logged some years back so there's an old network of traversing logging roads on an otherwise 35 degree slope and no reason for anyone to be around. I've been hiking those logging roads and taking steeper angle, longer shots. I'm no "long range" shooter by any means, but I definitely experienced dramatic improvement between the 1st, 2nd and 3rd time going out. -way easier and more efficient to get setup and comfortable with those steeper angles and longer shots in real world conditions interspersed with some real world rucking.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot PRS or NRL matches. Most hunters are horrible shots that think they are better than they actually are. Everyone’s first match is usually a humbling experience from what I’ve seen.

Thats awesome you are practicing yourself and even better that you're taking friends along.
Are you able to leave targets up or is it a set up and tear down every time?

I shot a bunch before I ever practiced under time stress. Funny how short multiple minutes can be if you start from standing with your gear and have to build a position and break clean shots. Adding that component is huge IMO.

OP
Strider

Strider

Lil-Rokslider
Thats awesome you are practicing yourself and even better that you're taking friends along.
Are you able to leave targets up or is it a set up and tear down every time?
We set up and tore down. It's a good work out.
There is someone in my local mountains that has hung multiple plates in a couple drainages. Not all heros wear capes.

I shot a bunch before I ever practiced under time stress. Funny how short multiple minutes can be if you start from standing with your gear and have to build a position and break clean shots. Adding that component is huge IMO.
Same. Each shot in the competition started standing all strapped in and rifle slung. We had absurdly long timers. Yet still that little bit of stress helps you fall apart.

I had a handful of plates left on BLM at one time. They grew legs and it wasn't BLM cleaning up my "garbage" because the t-posts didn't walk off.