The perfect Kifaru pack...anyone agree?

zmoyer

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully this doesn't end up too long winded but here goes.
So I'm mostly a day hunter with a single 3-5 day trip every year. With that said for the last couple years I've been searching for the "perfect pack". my current set up is the bt3 and I really like it but wish there was a way to access the main back without undoing the lid. I tried the t1 and t2 but for some reason can't stand all the excess material when not mostly loaded.
In reading all the posts here and staring at Kifarus website for hours on end I think I've finally dreamed up my perfect pack!!! I think a slightly taller 22 mag with a top opening and strap like the timberline series would be the ticket! I guess it would be a mountain warrior with no front pocket and pals webbing on the panel but add the side pockets like the timberline. Keep the main bag in the 3500 ci range then you could add a medium and large belt pouch to the panel, mediums below the side pockets and a guide lid and you'd have close to a 6000 ci pack. Oh and of course 3 compression straps!
I've also thought about the nomad and a cargo panel. Then add a lid and camp big for the big trips. People seem to like that set up.
Anyone agree or am I flying solo!? Obviously I'm not on the ultralight bandwagon here but I think this would be a good setup.

oldgoat

WKR
I think the Nomad and Cargo Panel would be overkill, Nomad, Grab It and lid are pretty sweet, it's what I bought this year, put a camp bag in it and you can carry way more stuff than you need, I know that from experience! Bought my wife a Cargo Panel, Guide lid and some pockets and dry bag, that is a really really sweet setup. Super versatile and you can add and subtract pockets as needed. Kind of wishing I had gone that route myself. Next year I might buy a Cargo Panel and one of the new UL packs.

elkhunt

FNG
I was in the same spot as you are but I ended up with the Mountain Rambler. Works great as a day pack. Add pod with the guide lid and now looking at 3 to 5 days. Or utilizing the meat shelf and a dry sack I could go longer. I did add a grab-it to carry my bow.

OP
Z

zmoyer

Lil-Rokslider
You might be right elkhunt. I haven't really considered the rambler an option because I'm not a rifle hunter but besides the added rifle scabbard it pretty much fits the bill. Out of curiosity have you tried carrying your bow between the bag and the frame?

Yeah, I agree with elkhunt. My next purchase will be a rambler in fusion for a day pack. Doesn't look like it'd be too hard to strap on a pod, guide lid and belt pockets or side/spotting scope pocket to have a very nice multi-day setup as shown in this video.

Kifaru DT1 with a panel like the mountain warrior would be a pack I buy and never see myself replacing. I'm pretty happy with the mountain warrior though.

elkhunt

FNG
I have not tried to put the bow there. Mainly I would not want to cinch down on it that much. I mostly bow hunt and put the spotting scope tripod in the scabbard.

striker3

Lil-Rokslider
I love the nomad/camp bag setup. It is super minimal as a daypack, yet I can haul my full camp with the same pack. I can also tailor the load out with pods and pockets for exactly what I want and need. I really can't think of a better setup.

dotman

WKR
Took me many many different combo's to find what works for me but I wouldn't say it is perfect, think it will be hard for Kifaru to make everyone's perfect pack.

What I would like is a cargo panel with 1500ci in pockets sewn on the outside and slot pockets off of the side. I currently have it close to this but would prefer sewn 1500ci and slots with accessory mounting options. Maybe make it a mountain warrior with lower pocket and no main bag with rambler slot pockets. Camp bag works great but would be nice to see a sil nylon option to drop more weight.

Not sure how well I explained my perfect setup but I'm happy with what I've created out of the new cargo panel.

Ditto on the UL camp bag!

I almost didn't get the camp bag for my Nomad, but it has become one of my favorite pieces from Kifaru for overnight trips.

mfolch

WKR
Sounds like zmoyer is in the market for a Kuiu icon pro 3200. If you manage to fit it onto a duplex or bikini, please post pictures.

dotman

WKR
Sounds like zmoyer is in the market for a Kuiu icon pro 3200. If you manage to fit it onto a duplex or bikini, please post pictures.

There already is a thread with the Kuiu on a Kifaru frame 3200 and 7200.

IMHO....there are only two "perfect" packs that Kifaru makes.

The EMRII and the DT2.

The EMRII is the "perfect" large pack with its ability compress for day trips yet explode it's carrying capacity with the center zip and 3 horizontal compression straps.

The DT2 is the "perfect" smaller pack with its built in slot pockets and back pockets. By the time you take any other bag and start adding belt pouches and long pockets to accommodate your needs then you've basically tried to replicate the DT2 and in most instances exceeded the weight for a similar design.

I'm far from the most experienced guy on the forum but I've been researching and studying this K gear for quite some time. Take my opinion with a giant mouthful of salt.

Kotaman

WKR
The Mountain Warrior is about perfect for me. Cinched down in daypack mode, the front pocket and lid is the pack. Kill something and open up the 4800 ci main bag and carry all the meat you can handle....Perfect.

The DT2 is the "perfect" smaller pack with its built in slot pockets and back pockets. By the time you take any other bag and start adding belt pouches and long pockets to accommodate your needs then you've basically tried to replicate the DT2 and in most instances exceeded the weight for a similar design.
I think the DT2 would be closer to perfection if it had larger front pockets like the AMR. Day-mode with the AMR front pockets + guide lid is suhweet.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It does have larger pockets now. The DT1 and DT2 were changed a few months ago and more size was added to the side pockets as well as the two on the back/front panel. They are slightly smaller than the pockets on the AMR.
I think the DT2 would be closer to perfection if it had larger front pockets like the AMR. Day-mode with the AMR front pockets + guide lid is suhweet.

PredatorX

WKR
Hey Aron. So for the DT1's that are already out in the wild, if they have the snow collar removed from Kifaru does that mean that it has the largest front and sides made by Kifaru? Or were there more than 2 different versions of the DT1?