The Passing of Melvin Forbes

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve never even held one of his rifles, but from a young age have oogled and appreciated everything he did via magazine articles. My first box of 284 ammo would never have been purchased if it wasn’t for him chambering it his little mountain rifle. He seemed to have overall good judgement - his ideas worked, looked good and every kid on the block for the last 40 years would like to own a model 20. (Well, most kids).

Fast forward from the first mention of Melvin in Peterson Hunting in the 1980’s, and just the other day I bid on another used 284 barrel. At least for me, he’s the one that made that cartridge synonymous with the high country.

He’s always smiling in photos - that says a lot about a guy - I’m sure he was good company at the range and at hunting camp.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Recently picked up my first NULA Model 20 and it is everything I've heard they are. He was a man far far ahead of his time. Would have loved to sit around the campfire with him... Rest in peace..

z987k

WKR
Recently picked up my first NULA Model 20 and it is everything I've heard they are. He was a man far far ahead of his time. Would have loved to sit around the campfire with him... Rest in peace..
It's too bad Wilson Combat didn't stay true to the model 20. Seems every time anyone but Melvin Forbes tried to build a Forbes rifle they just can't help themselves but to screw it up. Colt screwed it up, the guys that bought Forbes rifles screwed it up, ULA. The closest was probably Barrett.

Last edited:

yfarm

WKR
Have never owned a Forbes rifle but my sons and I own 4 Fieldcrafts and have no complaints, great rifles. Wish they made a left version, my Cooper M92 is an acceptable alternative for more money.

prm

WKR
He certainly had a vision for a unique hunting rifle. I wish I could have had him build one for me. RIP.