The New Leupold Mark 4HD?

Which one you going with the 4.5-18 or 6-24 for western mule deer/elk hunting with shots in that 600 - 800 yard range? Both are 27.5 oz.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Shot it today. It’s on an AR 223. I really like it. Glass is very good for the price. Shooting to 100yds, no problem not having parallax. Zero stop is easy.

Was out shooting with my NX8. Not fair considering the NX8 was 20x. But would be hard to say which is better for glass, but I’m no trained eye. The MK4HD is very easy to get behind, useable reticle on the low end. So for this type of application (DMR/SPR ish, AR for coyote) it’s great.

Admittedly I’ve gotten away from Leupold recently due to what I’ve read about reliability. I have not had an issue myself. So again, the big caveat here is if this is reliable I love it for the price and would consider other versions. On a big ticket hunt, not so sure, wouldn’t want that concern in the back of my head.
Glad to hear you like it. I’m thinking about picking one up after my NX8 lost zero in South Africa this year after getting jostled in the back of a Land Cruiser (I know it wasn’t the rings because I mark the scope/rings)

2-Stix

WKR
@Formidilosus has had NF scopes in the back of his rig for months and months and months unpadded not loose zero. This is the first I have heard of a NF loosing zero from vibrations. I lost zero on a Leupold VX3 last year. Dropped 2" at 100.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus has had NF scopes in the back of his rig for months and months and months unpadded not loose zero. This is the first I have heard of a NF loosing zero from vibrations. I lost zero on a Leupold VX3 last year. Dropped 2" at 100.
Yeah it might be good to add a vibration test as part of the testing protocol? I'm not sure how to do it repeatably without sticking it on something like a vortex genie for a couple hours straight but this was on a rut-filled gravel road for ~2.5 hours that had constant teeth chattering vibrations at highway speeds. Like I said, not surprising because that's aggressive and not something people normally experience but it was certainly annoying. I'd imagine the ATACRs (this was a NX8 2.5-20 SFP) are tested for things like that because of their military use in places like Afghanistan (where you're potentially travelling far distances at speed on shitty roads).

I'm not ditching NF over it or anything. Would be cool to try something different next, though.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Yeah it might be good to add a vibration test as part of the testing protocol? I'm not sure how to do it repeatably without sticking it on something like a vortex genie for a couple hours straight but this was on a rut-filled gravel road for ~2.5 hours that had constant teeth chattering vibrations at highway speeds. Like I said, not surprising because that's aggressive and not something people normally experience but it was certainly annoying. I'd imagine the ATACRs (this was a NX8 2.5-20 SFP) are tested for things like that because of their military use in places like Afghanistan (where you're potentially travelling far distances at speed on shitty roads).

I'm not ditching NF over it or anything. Would be cool to try something different next, though.

I would bet a lot of money the scope did not loose zero. In order for that to happen with a NX8, the bonding that holds the lenses would have to break, or the erector spring would have broken- both would be obvious when rezeroing. NX8’s are tested and exactly the same as ATACR’s. Actions move in stocks and chassis nonstop.

As for rutted roads or vibrations- that is neither unusual, nor an issue for any good scope.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
I guess its a good thing Gomer didn't have a Leupold on his shotgun when he dropped it off the roof of the Mayberry courthouse!?!?

Last edited:

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
I would bet a lot of money the scope did not loose zero. In order for that to happen with a NX8, the bonding that holds the lenses would have to break, or the erector spring would have broken- both would be obvious when rezeroing. NX8’s are tested and exactly the same as ATACR’s. Actions move in stocks and chassis nonstop.

As for rutted roads or vibrations- that is neither unusual, nor an issue for any good scope.
Yeah, I do hope it was the action moving around. When I sent it in for warranty after they did end up changing out the electronics (those broke as well) but they didn’t say anything else was wrong with it. I know a N of 1 is statistically meaningless but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Can't seem to find any of the 4.5-18x52 pr1-moa scopes around? Anyone know of their availability soon?

I have one in the new PR2 and so far so good but it certainly has not been tortured. It was really a price, weight and availability thing since I want to build two similar rifles. One for the NRL events in 6mm and a 223 trainer. Id love to have Nightforce or the new Maven but again weight dollars and availability came into play. I put it on my new NRL-H setup after overwhelming suggestions from the NRL hunter community.

I am going to the Shoot2hunt school with Form in June. If i manage to get my hands on a couple of the new Maven scopes by then I will let Form do his thing with the Mark 4 if he has time there.

atmat

WKR
I have one in the new PR2 and so far so good but it certainly has not been tortured. It was really a price, weight and availability thing since I want to build two similar rifles. One for the NRL events in 6mm and a 223 trainer. Id love to have Nightforce or the new Maven but again weight dollars and availability came into play. I put it on my new NRL-H setup after overwhelming suggestions from the NRL hunter community.

I am going to the Shoot2hunt school with Form in June. If i manage to get my hands on a couple of the new Maven scopes by then I will let Form do his thing with the Mark 4 if he has time there.
@Formidilosus — Find this man at S2H and test this sucker.

Article 4

WKR
Someone does a test and immediately every single scope from that brand is a POS, forever and ever and ever. Same when one passes a test, then every scope from that brand is solid forever and ever and ever.

All rifle scopes fail - all of them, from every single brand. I have personally witnessed failure from Nightforce, Vortex, Leupold, Kahles, Swaro and they all have failed either to track or hold zero.

Now take Kahles, infamous by many here for being a tracking and zero compromised POS. The brand continues to be the 2nd most popular scope in comps. In fact, NF, Kahles, and Vortex are the top 3 brands in use today. Modern Day Sniper prefers the Kahles brand and I trust anything that Caylen does. Whats my point? Reputation has a way of becoming truth if we let it.

And sometimes you can beat the crap out of one and its fine just like the video below.

So by that logic, every single PST GEN II can be expected to perform like this.

Then you get guys that will do some pretty scientific test on tracking...no it wasn't dropped but how many of us actually drop our scopes. So now by the logic in this thread, every single Mark 5 will track just like this forever and ever!

Also look forward to seeing the result...and what might happen if this one passes the test

Last edited:

ljalberta

WKR
Someone does a test and immediately every single scope from that brand is a POS, forever and ever and ever. Same when one passes a test, then every scope from that brand is solid forever and ever and ever.

Seems like a pretty dramatic take. I haven’t seen anyone advancing that position. But I imagine it’s a small minority of people if there are any at all.