The New Leupold Mark 4HD?

Mschroeder40

Lil-Rokslider
I was just wondering if anyone has had any time behind one yet. I know it was just released, but I do know companies allow certain people to have access to the product before releasing it. From the looks of it and specs it should be a great seller. I like the 4.5-18. If it can prove to be reliable and track it will be great in the market place. If so it will rival the Nx8 and Trijicon Tenmile in sales. Which I have both and love! They are currently out of stock on the website. I'm strongly considering picking one up.

CS Tactical posted on the thread on the hide that they've had a couple samples in hand for a little bit now, that's the first account of anyone that I've seen having hands on experience. I should have one in a couple weeks.

OP
Mschroeder40

Mschroeder40

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really enjoy my Trijicon tenmile's but I like the the thought of locking turrets and Leupold glass especially at dusk.

Have any of the leupold scopes proven to be reliable (through Form’s testing)? I’m not holding my breath for this one…

The better question is, do any non cult members care?

I've had 5x 3.6-18 and 3x 5-25 MK5's that I shot quite a bit and was an early adopter of the MK5 and not one had a single issue, had a tracking issue, or zero retention issues and a few of those were on comp rifles. My 2x VX5HD 3-15's have also been perfectly reliable. LOTS of people use MK5's in PRS and win with them, it's one of the most common optics now... You wouldn't see that level of use if they had the issues that are only talked about on this forum based on one persons flawed tests.

Bwhntr

Lil-Rokslider

I've had 5x 3.6-18 and 3x 5-25 MK5's that I shot quite a bit and was an early adopter of the MK5 and not one had a single issue, had a tracking issue, or zero retention issues and a few of those were on comp rifles. My 2x VX5HD 3-15's have also been perfectly reliable. LOTS of people use MK5's in PRS and win with them, it's one of the most common optics now... You wouldn't see that level of use if they had the issues that are only talked about on this forum based on one persons flawed tests.
Be careful. You are challenging “gospel” here.

It may be the biggest example of group think I’ve ever seen. Like I posted yesterday, this is the only place you will see this amount of hate for MK5, and now I guess all Leupolds, all based on a test (which ZCO also “failed”) 🤔

Interesting to say the least.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just announced from Leupold:
183314Mark 4HD 1-4.5x24 (30mm) M1C3 SFP HPR-1$ 1,149.99
183315Mark 4HD 1-4.5x24 (30mm) SFP Illum. FireDot BDC$ 999.99
183316Mark 4HD 1-4.5x24 (30mm) M5C3 SFP Illum. FireDot TMR$ 999.99
183737Mark 4HD 2.5-10x42 (30mm) M5C3 SFP illum. TMR$ 1,199.99
183738Mark 4HD 2.5-10x42 (30mm) M5C3 FFP Illum. TMR$ 1,199.99
183740Mark 4HD 2.5-10x42 (30mm) M5C3 FFP TMR$ 999.99
183741Mark 4HD 2.5-10x42 (30mm) M1C3 FFP PR1-MOA$ 999.99
183623Mark 4HD 4.5-18x52 (34mm) M1C3 Side Focus FFP Illum. PR1-MOA$ 1,599.99
183624Mark 4HD 4.5-18x52 (34mm) M5C3 Side Focus FFP Illum. PR1-Mil$ 1,599.99
183625Mark 4HD 4.5-18x52 (34mm) M1C3 Side Focus FFP PR2-MOA$ 1,399.99
183626Mark 4HD 4.5-18x52 (34mm) M5C3 Side Focus FFP PR2-Mil$ 1,399.99
183822Mark 4HD 6-24x52 (34mm) Side Focus FFP PR2- MOA$ 1,499.99
183823Mark 4HD 6-24x52 (34mm) Side Focus FFP PR2-MIL$ 1,499.99
183824Mark 4HD 6-24x52 (34mm) M5C3 Side Focus FFP PR3-MIL$ 1,499.99
183969Mark 4HD 8-32x56 (34mm) M1C3 Side Focus FFP PR2-MOA$ 1,599.99
183970Mark 4HD 8-32x56 (34mm) M5C3 Side Focus FFP PR2-Mil$ 1,599.99
183971Mark 4HD 8-32x56 (34mm) M5C3 Side Focus FFP PR3-MIL$ 1,599.99

ChrisAU

WKR

It may be the biggest example of group think I’ve ever seen. Like I posted yesterday, this is the only place you will see this amount of hate for MK5, and now I guess all Leupolds, all based on a test (which ZCO also “failed”) 🤔

It isn't group think when the only Mark 5HD in my squad in my last NRL comp scrambled its guts early in the day and would not re-zero. With no impacts. And for the Leupold rep on site that day to tell us all, in our amazement, that the 7-35 was known to track rich and thats just the way it was.

I agree with basically everything you said except the think part, I'm not sure there's actually a lot of thinking going on. I'm sure the MK4HD has already failed the tests.

It isn't group think when the only Mark 5HD in my squad in my last NRL comp scrambled its guts early in the day and would not re-zero. With no impacts. And for the Leupold rep on site that day to tell us all, in our amazement, that the 7-35 was known to track rich and thats just the way it was.

And what's your point? A scope failed at a match? I've seen every brand of optic fail at matches. I've had a Nightforce ATACR break which is praised here as indestructable. I've also had SWFA's fail which get the same praise.

Scopes are going to fail regardless of what they are, but when you get into higher build quality ones the failures are few and far between. Leupold MK5's are absolutely in that category of reliable optics regardless of whatever those here choose to believe.

The fact that it was a MK5 that failed that day and you happened to be on the same squad as the guy really doesn't mean anything other than those stars aligned.

ChrisAU

WKR
I agree with basically everything you said except the think part, I'm not sure there's actually a lot of thinking going on. I'm sure the MK4HD has already failed the tests.

And what's your point? A scope failed at a match? I've seen every brand of optic fail at matches. I've had a Nightforce ATACR break which is praised here as indestructable. I've also had SWFA's fail which get the same praise.

Scopes are going to fail regardless of what they are, but when you get into higher build quality ones the failures are few and far between. Leupold MK5's are absolutely in that category of reliable optics regardless of whatever those here choose to believe.

The fact that it was a MK5 that failed that day and you happened to be on the same squad as the guy really doesn't mean anything other than those stars aligned.

Add that experience with the new 5-25 I got with a defective turret, and the 3-18 VX6HD that broke on me during a hunt and I've been firmly in the show-me category since. I'd love the 2.5-10x42 FFP to work correctly. Just have my suspicions.

ID_Matt

WKR

While I won't argue that some leupolds may work plenty good, and the general user will probably never notice any issues, I don't think use in PRS competition is a good indicator for durability. Meaning I don't think you can compare a 20 lb 6mm that is babied and zero checked before every competition, or even better carried around in a cart, to a 7lb high recoiling hunting rig that bounces around in an ATV. The other extremely popular scope in PRS is the vortex razors, think that is because they are so durable?

While I won't argue that some leupolds may work plenty good, and the general user will probably never notice any issues, I don't think use in PRS competition is a good indicator for durability. Meaning I don't think you can compare a 20 lb 6mm that is babied and zero checked before every competition, or even better carried around in a cart, to a 7lb high recoiling hunting rig that bounces around in an ATV. The other extremely popular scope in PRS is the vortex razors, think that is because they are so durable?

Match rifles get kicked over and knocked into stuff, they're not babied. Most hunting rifles I see are in way better shape than most hunting rifles. There are also MK5's in military use that aren't being babied. There's also plenty of tactical matches like ISC and ASC where the rifles bounce around in ATV's and UTV's over the course of the match. As far as checking zero, that's stupid not to do if you have the opportunity whether it's a hunt or a match, it doesn't mean your optic is off or you don't have confidence in it just because you verify.

kpk

WKR
LOTS of people use MK5's in PRS and win with them, it's one of the most common optics now... You wouldn't see that level of use if they had the issues that are only talked about on this forum based on one persons flawed tests.

Don't they also sponsor a lot of the people using them and winning? High level sponsorships sell a ton of scopes.

There are plenty of scopes out there that are capable of playing the PRS game, and plenty of guys that are capable of winning regardless of what brand they're running. Those lists of who's running what and how many shooters are running this brand or that don't mean much. Sponsorships and marketing influence those lists more than anything IMO.

Bwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Add that experience with the new 5-25 I got with a defective turret, and the 3-18 VX6HD that broke on me during a hunt and I've been firmly in the show-me category since. I'd love the 2.5-10x42 FFP to work correctly. Just have my suspicions.
Wait arent you on the one over on the hide that just started a thread about the MK4 and wanting one for hunting?

Why would you ever want one having these personal experiences that you’re talking about? Genuinely curious.

Odd that you would be trashing Leupold here but then in another forum posting about wanting one?

Don't they also sponsor a lot of the people using them and winning? High level sponsorships sell a ton of scopes.

There are plenty of scopes out there that are capable of playing the PRS game, and plenty of guys that are capable of winning regardless of what brand they're running. Those lists of who's running what and how many shooters are running this brand or that don't mean much. Sponsorships and marketing influence those lists more than anything IMO.

That’s not how it works. Leupold has some team shooters but it’s a few people and they don’t go to every match. Most of the guys shooting Leupolds aren’t sponsored by them or even get a discount beyond what they can get from their favorite shop regardless of whether they had the shop that made their jerseys so they can feel cool put the Leupold logo on it. The most that you’ll see is where they title sponsor a match and give away some stuff or put it on prize tables.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Did you drop your Mark 5 and see if it held zero?