The New Leupold Mark 4HD?

Rokslide "if you don't hunt with a chest rig and you drop your pack your probably gonna die cause of it"
I feel bad for the pack. The new kid on the block gets called rig. The word rig is so much cooler now days than pack. Packs probably cry themselves to sleep every night.

Sorry to derail from debating if the NX8 or Razor is more durable.

JGRaider

WKR
Animals are not small and the majority of shots are probably sub 250 yards.
Nothing has changed from then, to today. Probably 95%+ of big game is killed under 300 yards. Much of what is popular and internet headline material is overblown and exaggerated.

JGRaider

WKR
This was gold, got a good laugh remembering the cliff testing. We're past scopes, stocks and rings are getting proofed at this point. Maybe we need to start tumbling tripods next!
I think a good 'ol bincular drop test would be a great idea. The Swaro fan boys (I own 2) would probably not like the results.

fwafwow

WKR
I doubt it, he doesn't post that much on forums anymore and has butted heads with Form.

He doesn't believe in the drop tests either so not sure him posting here is worth his time.
He posted on SH about 2 hours ago and he’s still active on Optics Talk (he’s a mod). When I read some time ago on SH his views on the tests, he took personal (IMHO) shots at Form, suggesting a conflict of interest (IIRC). That’s ironic given these affiliate links - http://opticsthoughts.com/.

If he’s an expert, I think he’s in the best position to convey how the tests could be improved, etc.

I think a good 'ol bincular drop test would be a great idea. The Swaro fan boys (I own 2) would probably not like the results.
I can tell you the eye piece on the BTX won’t handle being dropped from 4’ without going to Swaro for repair. So maybe start a little lower.

JGRaider

WKR
All price points. Forum members need to send me their binos and I'll beat the schittt out of them and report back. I predict a Meostar, old Trinovid BN/BA and Conquest HD would survive. The rest not so much.

Viper 10x50? Will provide mine for the test. Fails and I get a new pair... better to have a warranty and need it...

I certainly wouldn’t get mad at the result, and I don’t think swaros are very durable, they are by far my most babies piece of gear, and I’m still not immune to failure

The difference is, a scope is an aiming device, binos are a looking device. You aren’t going to miss or make a poor shot if your binos have an issue. I know of many swaros that have gone back for repair, and that’s a risk I’m willing to take, a rifle scope I’m not

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
He posted on SH about 2 hours ago and he’s still active on Optics Talk (he’s a mod). When I read some time ago on SH his views on the tests, he took personal (IMHO) shots at Form, suggesting a conflict of interest (IIRC). That’s ironic given these affiliate links - http://opticsthoughts.com/.

If he’s an expert, I think he’s in the best position to convey how the tests could be improved, etc.
He doesn't post much on SH though only on a few particular threads, certainly not enough to get into arguments.

I follow him on Locals, I have mentioned the drop tests a few times and he isn't that keen on them.
I think he had a run in with Form at a much earlier time, hence the pot shots.

For our "flawed" crowd (which by the way, go ahead and say WHAT is flawed......)

For starters there is no control. There is also an entire rifle and mounting system under that optic that has a lot of variable that can fail and have in fact failed in these tests. The ZCO test is a perfect blatant example of that. Couldn’t get two sets of 36mm rings to hold it that has more surface clamping area than 30mm or 34mm, there’s obviously a flaw in the mounting procedure.

Then on top of that a human is shooting the rifle which can introduce shooter error into the equation a thousand different ways. Nevermind the possibility of bias influencing a test and the fact a lot of guys can’t own two brands of pickup truck in their lifetime.

fwafwow

WKR
He doesn't post much on SH though only on a few particular threads, certainly not enough to get into arguments.

I follow him on Locals, I have mentioned the drop tests a few times and he isn't that keen on them.
I think he had a run in with Form at a much earlier time, hence the pot shots.
I admit this is getting into stalker-ish territory - but he seems to post a lot on SH, including today already.

I did find his "rant" about the RS tests - https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/vortex-lht-4-5-22-durability-test.7105709/post-9962658. I believe each of his "points" (some of which are clear pot shots) have been made here by others (I will refrain from calling them ILya "fanboys"), and addressed.

Instead of not being worth his time to come here and make his points, perhaps doing so could impact his affiliate purchase relationships?

His main point is that there’s a lot of other dynamics in the complete rifle system that can cause a failure on paper in these drop tests and again look right at the ZCO test for validation of one of those components mentioned. It’s right there for everyone’s eyes to see, but when you want to believe in the test procedure and you’ve made it up in your mind it’s legitimate of course that is going to be ignored or dismissed.

The irony is real.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I admit this is getting into stalker-ish territory - but he seems to post a lot on SH, including today already.
Ilya is a good resource and sharp guy. I believe he shares all the major scope and reticle design sentiments that hunters do. Been a while since I've listened to him

Not everyone needs to agree what constitutes "durable enough" in a scope. Ilya does not, as he is more of a glass aficionado and shooter than a backcountry hunter.

fwafwow

WKR
His main point is that there’s a lot of other dynamics in the complete rifle system that can cause a failure on paper in these drop tests and again look right at the ZCO test for validation of one of those components mentioned. It’s right there for everyone’s eyes to see, but when you want to believe in the test procedure and you’ve made it up in your mind it’s legitimate of course that is going to be ignored or dismissed.

The irony is real.
Post #31 in this thread.

OP
Mschroeder40

Mschroeder40

Lil-Rokslider
You would think when Leupold released a new optic they would have them in stock. The site I looked at said it can be backorderd. Like I stated before I'm waiting for it to be instock on their website for the pro deal and they don't even have any.

Post #31 in this thread.

Doesn't show up, guessing one of the club members of my ignore list.

You would think when Leupold released a new optic they would have them in stock. The site I looked at said it can be backorderd. Like I stated before I'm waiting for it to be instock on their website for the pro deal and they don't even have any.

You do realize that the majority of the time in this industry products are released months and sometimes even a year or more before they're available, right?

They're supposedly a week or two out which is a very quick delivery time for a new product release, let alone an entire line of new products.