The 'New' generation and the 'Web o Net'

TJ

WKR
ishi_w_bowsarrows.jpg

You yung-un's and your fancy ways ;)

16Bore

WKR
I believe that's Ishi. Have you read the book or seen the film? In 1865 the same government that wanted to "preserve the union" paid over $1million in bounties for dead Indians.

Odd way of thinking....

I was younger: "I wish someone would invent, make or otherwise come up with something that...."

Now I'm older: "There's just so much stuff I don't need or want...."

Yes. There's exponentially more hunting, fishing, backpacking and outdoor gear available today versus 30 years ago. There's exponentially more information on how to do it (all things related) versus 30 years ago. There's exponentially more sharing of it all versus 30 years ago. The coinciding/facilitating factor is the internet. If I was a young motivated (to hunt) man I would of course live on the web to learn everything I could about ALL aspects of successful hunting. I mean....when I need to do something I've never done before there is a 100% chance I'll research the web for knowledge and tools before starting anything. I want to be successful early on.

I live in today's world. I reminisce some of course but the clock and calendar only go one direction....forward. I can and do hunt as I wish. I can hunt as though it's 1965 and I sometimes do that. I'm not trying to recreate the past. I'm just trying to retain some elements of it...the parts I enjoy the most. I firmly believe the world will pass me by and leave me in the dust if I don't (in many cases) force myself to keep up with modern thinking and practices. I can't say I love all technologies but I've stopped scorning them as I age. I use technology every single day of my life but try to minimize it in my hunting.

I can look back on every single thing I did at age 25 and compare it against how younger people do it today. Without exception there is 100% chance it is different...changed...and reflective of current times. When I was 18 years old I bought a new 4 cylinder Honda 750 motorcycle because it was the coolest big road bike out there at the time. No way did I want a decrepit-looking Harley from a decrepit old company. I wanted modern. I wanted fast. I bought one of the first Datsun 280Z cars because they were slick, low, modern, quick, fuel-injected and attention-grabbing. Both of those machines are relics of the past. Individuals evolve during their lives. Societies and civilizations evolve to achieve progress...agree or not with that word. It has never not been like that. It will never not continue to happen. And of course those watching it happen instead of making it happen will likely grouse and say it's all headed downhill....down the drain...off a cliff. It's never not been that way too.

TJ

WKR
I believe that's Ishi. Have you read the book or seen the film? In 1865 the same government that wanted to "preserve the union" paid over $1million in bounties for dead Indians.

Odd way of thinking....

Yes I know who it is. The statement wasn't political commentary.

It's called sarcasm, get the joke!

ChrisS

WKR
There's an older hunting book called Trails of Enchantment. It was one of the first, if not the first book, written about hunting deer in the Adirondacks. And it was written by a woman, published under a man's name.

Anyway, one of the chapters starts off about how the current generation (1890s) has it so much easier than the previous ones when it comes to hunting with their fancy new gear like rubber boots ...

Gr8bawana

WKR
I haven't thought of it much Brad, but I bet it's a many reasons and none of them point to modern gear not making it easier.

The first one that pops up is old timers worked harder at it.
More game.
Less hunters
The whole state could be hunted on one tag.

What's hard is using old gear and methods in today's hunting. I know, i've done it both ways and i'll take the old days anytime.

Today's generation of "look at me" and instant gratification can't be bothered to take the time to learn how to do things, such as sharpen a real knife. Game cameras, especially the transmitting ones have made it so they won't go there unless they are sure an animal is there.
Today's generation has the attention span of a gnat always flitting from one thing to another and everything must give results NOW ans EASILY.

ljalberta

WKR
This thread and a couple others recently remind me of the Seinfeld episode "The Contest". Fall is close...

Today's generation of "look at me" and instant gratification can't be bothered to take the time to learn how to do things, such as sharpen a real knife. Game cameras, especially the transmitting ones have made it so they won't go there unless they are sure an animal is there.
Today's generation has the attention span of a gnat always flitting from one thing to another and everything must give results NOW ans EASILY.

Nothing like a sweeping generalization about an entire demographic to really help a conversation.

Nothing like a sweeping generalization about an entire demographic to really help a conversation.

This can be done to the other side of the spectrum by saying they're a bunch of old farts looking at the past through rose colored glasses. The older they get, the better they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woods89

WKR
This thread has been entertaining to say the least.........

This stuff always makes me think of all the pictures I have seen of recently deceased sheep, guide, and client. Usually the client is kitted out to the nines and the guide looks like he bought his clothes at a thrift store. I think I've even seen some sheep guides in blue jeans. If anyone could justify a full set of technical camo gear it would be them! That helps me not overthink the gear aspect.

It's so easy for me to be idealogically pure, though, because I can't afford expensive camo after the grocery bill gets paid.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was more thinking of how aggravated everyone was getting due to a lack of activity (i.e. Hunting).

Naaaaaa.......just good ole bantering back and forth. No aggravation. But people do tend to get offended MUCH easier these days than people used to.

Just normal bantering from 30 years ago would probably get us arrested these days. Times are a changing......and not for the better. Except for the trophy potential for elk for the average Joe.......more now than any other time in history I'm willing to bet.

Gr8bawana

WKR
I just think it's funny how many guys equate overpriced camo and coolers and fancy gadgets with skill, knowledge and experience.