The Long Night

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure many of you have had The Long Night.

Not my first rodeo, but they are never easy; arrow placement looked good but he did not drop in sight.

Will get out to see if I can find him in the morning. Biggest whitetail I've ever shot at.

Sleep will be light to nonexistent.

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck, always best to wait. Sounds like you'll find him.

mi650

WKR
I'm sure many of you have had The Long Night.

Not my first rodeo, but they are never easy; arrow placement looked good but he did not drop in sight.

Will get out to see if I can find him in the morning. Biggest whitetail I've ever shot at.

Sleep will be light to nonexistent.
Yep, BTDT. How does the blood look?

I haven't lost one to coyotes yet, but a couple friends have. I try my best to find them before leaving them out overnight.

OP
roosterdown

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Slept some. Light in 90 minutes. He was bleeding nicely from both sides. Bubbly blood - at least one lung for sure. Likely liver too. Rained overnight, which complicates things...however I did not want to bump him if he was not yet expired. This is a very big whitetail by anyone's standards.

Slept some. Light in 90 minutes. He was bleeding nicely from both sides. Bubbly blood - at least one lung for sure. Likely liver too. Rained overnight, which complicates things...however I did not want to bump him if he was not yet expired. This is a very big whitetail by anyone's standards.
He should be down pretty close then! And we expect pics once you find him

Good luck this morning, and hoping to see some pics!

Perhaps this belongs in another thread, sorry OP, but I really hate what the hunting industry has done with this notion of leaving them overnight. It's gotten a little out of hand.

I'm in the south, you leave a deer over night here and you've more than likely consigned that meat to rot. Up until a couple of years ago, you would have never heard anyone leaving one overnight unless they absolutely knew it was a horrible shot and recovery would likely require a follow up shot, if the deer was found at all.

Now, we are letting them lie if they don't fall within sight? I'm not harping on you OP. I'm mad at the way things are turning. But as free advice, to anyone who will listen, from a guy who tracks a lot of deer in the dark, if you've got good blood from a good shot, you don't have to go home and have a sleepless night. Grab a flashlight and go get your deer.

Rich M

WKR
Nice buck!

Good call on letting him sit. You’da been pretty stressed if you bumped and lost him.