The Gohunt Effect

1jeds

FNG
Never understood why people pay for subscriptions when everything you need to know is free and easily accessible.

Because time is a more valuable asset than money in my opinion. I don't think everything requires a subscription or to be paid for, but certain things I am fine paying.

"Most people spend their time trying to save money, when they should be spending their money to save time" (to be used elsewhere)

Right. Im sure you tag out every year too. You must not have ever drawn a real elk tag in a primo area of a primo state. Sorry for your luck.

lol, oh I usually tag out. Ill even add 851 thats a great OTC archery unit too.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I'm 49 and NEVER drawn a bull tag in my life. I'm 100% used to the let down and just kill em otc.

Because time is a more valuable asset than money in my opinion. I don't think everything requires a subscription or to be paid for, but certain things I am fine paying.

"Most people spend their time trying to save money, when they should be spending their money to save time" (to be used elsewhere)
+1

Money well spent. If for no other reason than to avoid the units du jour.

Rich M

WKR
I was given a unit to apply for and the required points went from 1 to 5+ in 3 years, enough that i went on a guided hunt instead of wasting my life waiting. GoHunt definitely had a hand.

taskswap

WKR
83 in Colorado and its OTC archery!!!
Was this a joke post? (I'm bad at sensing that.) We own land in 83, and don't even hunt there ourselves - it's almost completely private and half the unit burned out in a massive fire 5 years ago. It's rare to have much luck there unless you pay Trinchera their high trespass fee.

I've seen this fad effect in action myself but never worried about it much. Next year the fad will be a different zone...

I am just glad that the units I like to hunt down show up in their hit list of units. YouTube videos do more damage than anything in my opinion.

I can't wait to see what damage the video of that Colorado second season mule deer hunt did. The guy might have just as well told everyone what unit he was hunting....

Hnthrdr

WKR
I am just glad that the units I like to hunt down show up in their hit list of units. YouTube videos do more damage than anything in my opinion.

I can't wait to see what damage the video of that Colorado second season mule deer hunt did. The guy might have just as well told everyone what unit he was hunting....
Look at what their YouTube videos did to the OTC Az tags… just about destroyed that opportunity for res and non res alike

Was this a joke post? (I'm bad at sensing that.) We own land in 83, and don't even hunt there ourselves - it's almost completely private and half the unit burned out in a massive fire 5 years ago. It's rare to have much luck there unless you pay Trinchera their high trespass fee.

I've seen this fad effect in action myself but never worried about it much. Next year the fad will be a different zone...

Yes joke post …..but its still one of the top archery elk units in the state, same with 851. Just not for public land.

fad thing its just that top units are top units and lessor units ebb and flow through the years. CO archery elk changes over last 10 years is prefect example, no body has really changed units, the OTC just turned into left over tag units , and same people are still using them as second choice, while building points in units that still wont exceed 15% success in most years

B&C has been giving everyone the top Units in every state before Gore created the internet.

I just think the whole argument is funny.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR

Just an example of how he wont post his favorite unit to hunt, yet thinks its ok if everyone else does.

As draw results begin to trickle in, it occurred to me that in other industries when a company or product is promoted there is a surge in interest for that product. (such as a GMA) Have any of you noticed a change in draw odds when a particular unit is promoted to be easier to draw blows up due to draw platforms? Do you adjust your draw strategy to less popular areas based on what units the popular media platforms are promoting? Just curious as other products like OnX are playing the game now as well. What are your thoughts?
I haven't noticed that effect much with GOHUNT, I think just having data on draw results, herd numbers, etc. has been a positive thing. However I have noticed a big trend since OnX made all those filters a few years back. When they came out with the filter where you can set how far away from a road/trail an area is, I found more hunters farther back in those areas. This was in both Colorado and Idaho. That being said, from 2014-2018 I can remember hiking at least 3-4 miles in to find elk. 2019 to current it seems I get into more elk within 2 miles from the road. All this e-scouting technology and resources hasn't changed the old rule-get a mile away from the road/trail and you will find elk. All the OnX has done is add more hunters deep and seemed to push animals within a day hike distance. Which is fine because I would much rather sleep in my heated jumping jack camper with a big meal each night rather than my bivy sack 6 miles deep. As tasty as Peak refuel meals are they plug me up like a bear in the fall. Just my 2 cents.

LFC911

WKR
I haven't noticed that effect much with GOHUNT, I think just having data on draw results, herd numbers, etc. has been a positive thing. However I have noticed a big trend since OnX made all those filters a few years back. When they came out with the filter where you can set how far away from a road/trail an area is, I found more hunters farther back in those areas. This was in both Colorado and Idaho. That being said, from 2014-2018 I can remember hiking at least 3-4 miles in to find elk. 2019 to current it seems I get into more elk within 2 miles from the road. All this e-scouting technology and resources hasn't changed the old rule-get a mile away from the road/trail and you will find elk. All the OnX has done is add more hunters deep and seemed to push animals within a day hike distance. Which is fine because I would much rather sleep in my heated jumping jack camper with a big meal each night rather than my bivy sack 6 miles deep. As tasty as Peak refuel meals are they plug me up like a bear in the fall. Just my 2 cents.
Welcome to the 'slide!

I don't know how one could isolate "the GoHunt effect" from anything else. Generally speaking, more people are applying for less tags, and that will induce point creep. One could blame Mark Zuckerberg (or Al Gore even!) as much as GoHunt and their peers.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I don't know how one could isolate "the GoHunt effect" from anything else. Generally speaking, more people are applying for less tags, and that will induce point creep. One could blame Mark Zuckerberg (or Al Gore even!) as much as GoHunt and their peers.

Its actually extremely simple and obvious. There's a clear and overwhelming upward trend in western hunting applicants starting in 2014/2015 when these services started along with ME and Newberg platforms. It wasnt when the internet was invented in the 90s, or facebook in the early 2000's. Gohunt/OnX and SM influencers catapulted demand. Its one thing to not have a problem with this, but denying it is rather illogical.

Its actually extremely simple and obvious. There's a clear and overwhelming upward trend in western hunting applicants starting in 2014/2015 when these services started along with ME and Newberg platforms. It wasnt when the internet was invented in the 90s, or facebook in the early 2000's. Gohunt/OnX and SM influencers catapulted demand. Its one thing to not have a problem with this, but denying it is rather illogical.

Please demonstrate how you untangle GoHunt from ME, Newberg, the Gritty Bowmen and other topic relevant podcasts, Born and Raised and others putting their hunts on YouTube, etc etc. It all got going at about the same time. Since it's so simple and obvious, I predict your retort will be clear and complete and supported with data.