The G.O.A.T of upland

z987k

WKR
I like hunting and really like eating them. We got 6 the other day on a dedicated hunt. They can be so weird. In one area you can almost pick them up and in others you can't get within 75 yards and a 22 is the only option. Really good eyesight.
In the winter I routinely have them scare the crap out of me when they flush into my face on skis or a sled.

WRO

WKR
Capercaillie are the GOAT of upland. They are the largest grouse species. A single bird can cost between $7500 in the Austrian alps to $4000 in Sweden.

Hymalian snowcock would like a place at the table

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojave

WKR
Hymalian snowcock would like a place at the table

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the snowcock is a way harder bird to get a hold of.

That and only one place and very few mountain ranges in Nevada to do it.

OP
Sierra Hunter
I think the snowcock is a way harder bird to get a hold of.

That and only one place and very few mountain ranges in Nevada to do it.
I’d be curious to hear from someone that’s done both, I’d think there’s someone here. WTP in the lower 48 and HSC in NV.
Also the capercaille isn’t even close IMO, cost and size are variables that don’t matter much to me. I’m more of a habitat and habits kinda guy, otherwise we’d start adding guans and occelated turkeys to the convo

Mojave

WKR
Blackgrouse is a sheep hunt in the Alps. I did it in May. My hunt report is on these pages.

Blackgrouse in Scandinavia and Russia is just a bird hunt, maybe on skis.

Capercailie in either place is a forest hunt.

Snowcock in Nevada is a sheep hunt.

Ptarmigan in the lower 48 are the GOAT of upland for two reasons, they’re gorgeous, cooperative and only found in pristine habitat, plus you hunt them in goat country and they may the least hunted of our upland species(that you hunt with a dog for you guys that say snowcock)!

With my first child due in just over a week, my wife—being the amazing woman she is—let me slip away for a quick two-day hunt. This is my third year chasing white-tailed ptarmigan, and after last year’s success, I wanted to get back out there, and chase those high alpine birds.

Day one started early. Left the house at 4 a.m., made the long drive, and got to the mountain at about 10 a.m. I knew this would be tough, most of the hiking would be between 10,000 and 12,000 feet. Thirteen miles later, exhausted and without a single bird sighting, we headed back to camp and crashed hard.

Day two, we were back at it around 8:30 or 9:00 a.m., hoping for better luck. We were back into the wilderness about 8 or so miles, and still striking out other than a feather and some droppings. Then,l the weather started to turn, thunder, snow we were again packing it in.

That’s when we stumbled on a covey of ptarmigan , and just like that, the hard miles melted away. A few shots later, Nellie and I had our two bird limit. It was an incredible feeling—especially after 28 miles of hiking for me, and about 45 miles for Nellie.

This upland hunt isn’t for everyone, but for me, the white-tailed ptarmigan represents the GOAT of upland species. The challenge, the terrain, the miles—it all makes the reward that much better. Stoked to have gotten it done two years in a row. We’re smoked and an our way home to wait for the biggest challenge ever, being a father!
Rock Ptarmigan. Congratulations! That’s awesome!!

Wish we had ptarmigan here in Idaho. Not sure why we don't - maybe our mountains are not high enough.
You do have some. You just don't have hunting, nor has idfg ever introduced them (which is how most of the L48 states with WTP for them).

I love hearing folks say that chukar are better. Yep. Absolutely. Ptarmigan hunting is terrible and nobody should ever do it.