The Front Range

WKR
Wyoming seems to be somewhat insulated for now but I can't imagine there won't be a major development initiative there in the near future.
The tech companies are building computer infrastructure "farms" aka data centers, as fast as they can right now around Cheyenne. Tech companies like the cost of doing business here, the cool and dry air (cheaper to cool computers) and our cost of living is low compared to many areas.

Microsoft had one data center as of last year but I believe 3 more are currently being built. Meta and Google are targeting the area too.

They're bringing good jobs, but still sort of blue collar compared to the software engineer types that will still be located elsewhere, including Front Range areas.

Stalker69

WKR
We moved here from Ohio in 2020 and quickly saw that it isn’t just housing that’s more expensive out here—everything is! Garbage service, chicken feed, hay, kids sports, groceries, gas, chipotle burritos, you name it and that was before inflation hit. Some of that stuff cost 3x as much as it did in Ohio.

Edit: There's no question it was worth moving out here from Ohio.
Ohio must suck. I live and grew up in colorado, and I don't see how people can afford to live here. I am getting to the point where moving out is strongly being considered.

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
Ohio must suck. I live and grew up in colorado, and I don't see how people can afford to live here. I am getting to the point where moving out is strongly being considered.

Sad. I love Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluefish

WKR
I lived in co for 25 years and moved back to the Midwest 2 years ago. Really like small town living Vs front range co. 20 years ago co was great, but it’s become CA East politically and the woods/mtns are over run with people.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I lived in co for 25 years and moved back to the Midwest 2 years ago. Really like small town living Vs front range co. 20 years ago co was great, but it’s become CA East politically and the woods/mtns are over run with people.
Accurate assessment

Hnthrdr

WKR
Town of Palisade is hiring a full time fire position, just saying…
Man that is super tempting! You are correct that is the right slope! But fortunately/ unfortunately my wife is the real breadwinner and a small business owner so we are anchored for a while. We have a plan to get out though. Love Palisade!

OP
T
Sorry y'all that I've been unresponsive to this thread.

I'll give an update.

I ended up taking the job and moving out here. I took those of y'all's advice and decided to live close to work. I'm in Lakewood, 5 minutes away from my office so I can't complain about that. And I'm really enjoying the job. Unfortunately after those two comments I don't have many other good things to say.

For those of y'all that know the area I'm near the corners of Sheridan and Colfax, what a shit hole. I honestly think I'd rather do that commute down from Cheyenne to work than live in this Denver-Lakewood area (And yes I know how outrageous that sounds, I've done the drive a few times and the traffic is atrocious). I'm paying around $2,350 a month for a tiny apartment in a bad part of town, thank God I brought a girl out here to split rent with me as I wouldn't be able to afford it on my own. Even with both our incomes we're still barely scraping by (but some how I still have money to spend on points, and apps).

I've really enjoyed my time out in the NW corner of Colorado, and in the non ski towns once you get out of the front range, and feel at home on the Eastern Plains. I feel as if I'm a minority here, I certainly am in my interests/hobbies and political beliefs in the area I'm currently living in. I've never met so many screwed up people in my life, the rainbow mafia was out in full force in the month of June. But, every month is pride month in the Denver metro area. To the Native Coloradans, don't take offense by the statement I made about "screwed up people", I've liked the vast majority of natives I've met. But it seems like this place was invaded by Californians and every odd ball who didn't quite fit in where they were from and moved here for the legal weed, 14ers, diversity, or whatever else.

I haven't decided if I regret moving out here or not, prior to this I was at a dead end job in a factory and now I have room to grow in a career in natural resources; something I care deeply about. Good thing is my lease is up next June and I'm with the federal government and can go wherever, possibly the western slope, back east, or another rocky mountain state and keep my same benefits and all that. One things for damn sure I won't be sticking around the Denver metro area.

I appreciate everyone who offered their advice in this thread, I have read through it all as y'all have left comments. My apologies for the unresponsiveness on my part.

My advice to anyone whose contemplating the move to this area down the road and comes across this thread: think long and hard about the decision. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Loo.wii

WKR
Sorry y'all that I've been unresponsive to this thread.

I'll give an update.

I ended up taking the job and moving out here. I took those of y'all's advice and decided to live close to work. I'm in Lakewood, 5 minutes away from my office so I can't complain about that. And I'm really enjoying the job. Unfortunately after those two comments I don't have many other good things to say.

For those of y'all that know the area I'm near the corners of Sheridan and Colfax, what a shit hole. I honestly think I'd rather do that commute down from Cheyenne to work than live in this Denver-Lakewood area (And yes I know how outrageous that sounds, I've done the drive a few times and the traffic is atrocious). I'm paying around $2,350 a month for a tiny apartment in a bad part of town, thank God I brought a girl out here to split rent with me as I wouldn't be able to afford it on my own. Even with both our incomes we're still barely scraping by (but some how I still have money to spend on points, and apps).

I've really enjoyed my time out in the NW corner of Colorado, and in the non ski towns once you get out of the front range, and feel at home on the Eastern Plains. I feel as if I'm a minority here, I certainly am in my interests/hobbies and political beliefs in the area I'm currently living in. I've never met so many screwed up people in my life, the rainbow mafia was out in full force in the month of June. But, every month is pride month in the Denver metro area. To the Native Coloradans, don't take offense by the statement I made about "screwed up people", I've liked the vast majority of natives I've met. But it seems like this place was invaded by Californians and every odd ball who didn't quite fit in where they were from and moved here for the legal weed, 14ers, diversity, or whatever else.

I haven't decided if I regret moving out here or not, prior to this I was at a dead end job in a factory and now I have room to grow in a career in natural resources; something I care deeply about. Good thing is my lease is up next June and I'm with the federal government and can go wherever, possibly the western slope, back east, or another rocky mountain state and keep my same benefits and all that. One things for damn sure I won't be sticking around the Denver metro area.

I appreciate everyone who offered their advice in this thread, I have read through it all as y'all have left comments. My apologies for the unresponsiveness on my part.

My advice to anyone whose contemplating the move to this area down the road and comes across this thread: think long and hard about the decision. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Lol
You played yourself by moving anywhere near Colfax.

The drive would never be worth it!!
Spending 20 hours a week on the road would deteriorate your well being. Ask me how I know.
I recently bought near the airport and I have had a completely different experience. That being said different strokes for different folks. If the Denver area ends up growing on you, don’t take anything less than a GS12 equivalent salary for your next position. I can’t imagine how people survive on less than 90k here.
I also have to add my obligatory recommendation to get the **** away from colfax.
The only time I go to the city is to get an old fashioned otherwise I’m in the woods or on a range.

Sure the front range is weird but so is any place with any sort of functioning economy and desirable amenities. Lots more people have economic opportunity here than bumfukistan Wyoming.

Lmk if you’d want to do go to the archery range some time.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would break that lease and move almost anywhere else in the metro area. That area will/is giving you just one negative perspective of the area. Hopefully you can can find a way to move and experience the area from a better perspective.

lak2004

WKR
What's your job if you don't mind me asking? Lots of positions starting to get flown all over CO.

I grew up in Littleton and don't miss the area since it's gotten saturated, but everywhere else has too. You're definitely in one of the worse parts of that city though as you know.

Hnthrdr

WKR
That is a pretty honest and accurate assessment. Just another native here who wishes more people like you would have moved here instead of the tsunami of weirdos this state received.

The meth/crackheads at colfax and Sheridan are bad, then again most of colfax is awful. I could tell you some wild stuff I’ve seen on the fax. Good luck in your future endeavors. Really most of the front range sucks unless you have the coin to move to golden, Morrison, evergreen but then again it’s all been over run by yuppies. Western slope seems like it hasn’t been totally corrupted, if you get the chance I highly recommend it. I also really like the south platte river corridor lots more salt of the earth people when the majority of folks are connected to farming or ranching

squirrel

WKR
Some interesting perspectives in this one.

"nice small town compared to Chicago and NYC" was probably the best.

Today's CO you choose which part of the septic system to live in...

Denver = the turd chamber of the tank

N-S-E = the second chamber

West slope is the leach field, where the other two go to clean up. But one wouldn't want to fill your water bottle from any of them

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
Colfax is the skidmark of Denver... A mile north or south in most parts of town and you might change your opinion. I'm in Wheat Ridge and cannot complain. They are building a lot of housing Ward and 52nd, seems saturated and pricing may be affordable. I work right there and definitely a nicer vibe and the gateway to the mountains.

Hope you stay, we need more reasonably minded people in the voting population!