The evolution of hunting the backcountry... Have you noticed it?

I've been on hunting websites and forums for 12+ years now and have noticed in the last 5-7 years an ever increasing desire of hunters to get into the backcountry and hunt farther and farther away from roads... Have you noticed this in your hunting areas? Places like WA it has gotten pretty bad where it seems everyone is throwing on a backpack and hitting a trailhead for the high hunt. In hunting Idaho the last few years we haven't noticed very many people in the backcountry. In WA once the October rifle season rolls around it clears out quite a bit, but in September there are some crowds. I'm not sure if it's because I hangout on websites like this one where 90%+ of the people are backpacking in some way shape or form, or if there really has been a race to the backcountry.

Thoughts?

Mike

Ethan S.

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree, and would say Colorado is one of the places it has really taken off. It's not a bad thing though.

Oh-without a doubt, backcountry hunting is the Gucci, in thing for sure.
My 1st high buck/backpack hunt in was in 1991 and there was one other car at the trailhead. Its sure not like that anymore. I don't hunt the early hunt anymore, but I was told by a buddy there were close to 20 cars last year. I don't know if they were all hunters, but that's just too many people.
I know a person can still get away from the crowds, but its getting harder.

ckleeves

WKR
I think there has definitely been an increase in certain areas. Places that we didn't see a single person 10 years ago now have multiple camps all through archery season. Rifle season I wouldn't say much of increase.

High country archery deer hunting has gained the most popularity by far. I'm going back to deer hunting the sage if it gets much more crowded lol.

shaun

WKR
I think there has definitely been an increase in certain areas. Places that we didn't see a single person 10 years ago now have multiple camps all through archery season. Rifle season I wouldn't say much of increase.

High country archery deer hunting has gained the most popularity by far. I'm going back to deer hunting the sage if it gets much more crowded lol.

You have nothin to worry about haha

littlebuf

Banned
its because of these web sites. im always a little conflicted about these forums. I love them because there all about what I love to do, I hate them because they tend to make what was once not crowded, crowded. predator hunting is a good example, there was a time when you could just about count on having the woods to your self for some calling in the winter, now everybody has a fox pro and sometimes it looks as bad as gen rifle season out there in January. it is what it is, every where you look right now its backcountry something or other. oh well, just go deeper than the next guy

If you don't want crowds, go hunt in Idaho's wilderness areas where the grizzlies and wolves are aplenty! Keeps the wannabes in the truck or near it! Colorado you'll have crowds for sure. I would venture to guess its because of the lack of grizzlies, wolves, and its close proximity to more populated states (Midwestern hunters, texas, etc.)

jmez

WKR
It isn't just Idaho, hunt any wilderness area that has grizzlies and you eliminate a ton of competition.

Last year in Co we only saw a couple other hunters, they only stuck around a couple days. Year before we hunted 10 days and never saw another hunter.

kaboku68

WKR
Less popular where I go. There used to be more hard core old cusses. Most of old breed have bit the bullet. A lot of people fly into the Brooks or motor their rovers into Alaska Range. I don't see as many hunters as I used to.

I figure I am gonna to do it till I turn up daisies.

I'll gather ther are all sorts of combinations depending on how open the country is or how hard it is to get around the mountain to name a couple but I tend to see a lot less people the farther I get away from trail systems or roads still. If I bushwhack off trail a few miles I see a lot less folks. Most folks that do backpack tend to pitch camp not far from trails unless it is open country.

OP
HellsCanyon
Great responses all, I do feel like there are still plenty of ways to get away from the crowds. I also think that some people who just try out backpack hunting often think it's as simple as throwing on a backpack and soon find out they really don't have the desire to do what it takes. At least that's what I tell myself... ;)

Mike

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
I agree HellsCanyon i've seen an increase in it around here. I've done it my whole life my dad hated crowds and always went back in there so natually thats how I learned but lately its getting harder and harder to get awayfrom everyone this last year is a perfect example we are up where we have hunted for 10+ years without seeing anyone and low and behold here comes some guy over the hill chatted with him a bit and he was real dissapointed said he figured he would be alone up this far we informed him we had been for years and kinda made plans so not to disrupt eachother but kinda sucks for us now we have to start looking for a new area.

Slim Jim

WKR
Everyone is becoming more health conscious these days and the athlete hunter has become "cool". Television isn't helping any either

TJ

WKR
Thank Cam Hanes and the internet.

sorry, im part of the problem, i didnt grow up doing or been doing it for the last 10+ years.

I guess I am also part of the problem. I didn't start until about six years ago.

A lot of people like to trash Cameron Hanes, but if I ever met him I would thank him for what he has done.
For me it was and idea, I think I CAN DO THIS. And you know, I can, and love every minute of it.

Hardstalk

WKR
Ill admit to being part of the trend. Been doing it for only 4 years now. Grew up hunting from the roads and watching the hunting party drink their beer as they watched the sun go down hoping for an animal to show up out of nowhere. As my passion for hunting and wanting to kill more than 2-3 point bucks grew so has my initiative to wander, Educate myself, and go harder. Several years ago I started researching, lurking on forums gathering information about how the consistent hunters bag good bucks. The largest consensus stated to go deep. Be in shape. And if no one wants to join you go alone. I am that guy. The one that unknowingly wanders into your honey hole hoping to be alone. There is a certain edequate of the hills. I glass for hunters and camps before I glass for deer. If im alone in the area I hunt. If not I move on in hope of my own honey hole. In reality its all public land. But respect for others spots is a necessity for people just jumping on the bandwagon.

Ive also influenced several buddies to do the same. Each year the trend grows.