The evolution of hunting the backcountry... Have you noticed it?

A lot of people trash Cameron Hanes, but in all actuality any of us who just picked up this backcountry hunting thing in the past decade should really be thanking him. You may not like his workouts, his running, his beastmode mantra and his under armour commercials but he still does what we do. I'm sure his book has helped a few of us as well. If I ever meet him I'd shake his hand and say thanks.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I complain about it too, but when I think about it:

I think it is a good thing. It brought together a great community like Rokslide. It gets people out in the wild places of the Earth. It gets people healthy and fit.

I like to hunt in solitude as much as the next guy, but when I see somebody in deep, I know they put the effort into getting there too.

The reality is the hard places to get to and hunt are still hard, and most folks won't get there. The majority are still hunting out of the truck.

I have not noticed an increase of back country hunters in the areas I hunt over the past 10 years. I don't think there are as many people willing to put in the time and work to do it. I believe there are a lot of talkers but when it actually comes down to it they don't have the stones for it.

A lot of people trash Cameron Hanes, but in all actuality any of us who just picked up this backcountry hunting thing in the past decade should really be thanking him. You may not like his workouts, his running, his beastmode mantra and his under armour commercials but he still does what we do. I'm sure his book has helped a few of us as well. If I ever meet him I'd shake his hand and say thanks.

+1 for me. He is inspirational and an encouraging person in my book. I've been backpacking for 37 years now and his book and words of encouragement are inspiring to me at least.

I didn't even know about backcountry bow hunting until I found his book. I would do the same.

OP
HellsCanyon
While we all like to be alone in the back country, I know of a father/son that hunt the WA high hunt every year and seems like they always have some nice bucks in their sights. They almost always count on other hunters for some success and have learned their spot for the past 7-8 years and have it down pat. I too have gotten disappointed when coming into an area to hunt and see other hunters, but I always try to tell myself "They worked hard to get here too, and maybe I can use them for my advantage". If possible I try to make a meeting with them to see what their game plan is and if they seem friendly enough to try and work out separate plans to where we do not interfere with each others hunt.

Last season this cost my good friend a good buck though... we weren't too far in for the general hunt in WA (his tag not mine) and spotted 2 nice 160"+ bucks in a far off basin. We watch them bed in some small clumps of trees and headed that direction with the plan of me doing a scent drive for him. We got to the edge of the drainage and low n behold there are 2 other hunters on the ridgeline within 200 yards of where the bucks bedded. I snuck up to them and started a conversation in hushed tones. They hadn't a clue there were any bucks close by and hadn't seen any. When I informed them of the bucks we'd seen and how I wanted to go about it they quickly said they didn't think that was a good idea and we should sit and wait till dark. I reluctantly agreed out of courtesy and we sat there until dark and never saw those bucks again. Oh well that's public land hunting and especially hunting close to a well used trail...

Mike

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure his book has helped a few of us as well. If I ever meet him I'd shake his hand and say thanks.

I have spent a lot of time fishing the backcountry over the years but only started bowhunting elk in 2007. Cameron Hanes' book was helpful in making the transition to bivy hunting. Lots of useful information. As far as the trend towards more people in the backcountry, I can still find solitude where I hunt. The few people I have met back there I still keep in touch with. Nice people with similar interests. It's public land designated for anyone to enjoy.

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
After rereading my post I didn't mean I had been doing this longer than anyone else I will whole heartedly agree most people you meet back in there are polite and not wanting to interfere. just stating that it has increased recent years and is becomming harder and harder to not see another human when hunting. It has however brought together groups like rokslide that is I feel the biggest wealth of information available today.

2rocky

WKR
SDHNTR has a good point. Cam has made the athlete-hunter more attractive to people. I will credit his writing with my increased interest. But at the same time "extreme outdoor sports" like rock climbing, mountain biking, trail running, long distance hiking and obstacle racing have probably increased at the same rate.

No doubt more media focused on wilderness hunting piques people's interest. But folks were doing backpack hunts before there were hunting backpacks. More are doing it now for sure..

littlebuf

Banned
its still hard not to long for the day when someone shot a monster buck or bull the entire world didn't know about it 20 seconds later. not exactly on topic but kind of the same symptom were talking about. woods just seemed bigger I guess. I know statistically there's probably less of us out there now but it doesn't feel that way

We are dealing with limited space, a growing population, and a growing interest in the out-a-doors.

IMHO, a shared appreciation for wilderness, and outdoor life, is a good problem to have, better than suburbia running a highway through your backyard preserve.

The below image doesn't illustrate growth, but it does show the sheer mass of the industry in economic terms:

Screen Shot 2013-04-03 at 11.28.11 AM.jpg

I think it is becoming harder to be truly alone in the wilderness due to these factors.

I've been on hunting websites and forums for 12+ years now and have noticed in the last 5-7 years an ever increasing desire of hunters to get into the backcountry and hunt farther and farther away from roads...

Thoughts?

Mike

Here in Alaska, I think that the number of backpack hunters is actually sliding. Looking specifically at sheep hunters, which is our main backpack hunted game animal, the number of hunters has been on a generally downhill trend for 20 years (per F&G data), which is counter to our steadily rising population. Yeah, sheep get a lot of play on various forums, but when it comes time to lace boots and put the pack in it turns out most people would rather be fishing.

If you discount the backpack hunters, they yes there is a strong desire to get away from roads, but for the vast majority of people that means boat, aircraft, or ATV transportation. Moose just don't lend themselves to backpacking very far.

Yk

It's definitely a double edged sword I have seen the increase as well. The Internet and all the technology has really changed it, with these type of forums, google earth, and people like can that inspire these type of hints and you have a recipe for less solitude in the back country.

With the jump in popularity, I have started to use discretion with not only who gets the invite but also who I converse with about points of interest in the wilderness. This is for preservation of culture and tradition in part, and in part a necessary selfish act. I am on the fence about publicly posting geographical specifics in this regard, whether it is on the Rokslide or otherwise.

klxracer92

Lil-Rokslider
Like said before this is double edged sword. There will always be the pros and cons. I will say I am part of this new "trend". Cam Hanes , Aaron Snyder, David Long have all encouraged me to try backpacking. I am trying to prove that southern CA can produce some good deer also. This will be my very first year backpacking I don't know if I will be able to hunt from my backpack but I will definitely make some short trips this year. With that being said, I am not a fan of hunting from the truck or only hiking for a couple of minutes from the truck. I love hunting the desert and when ever I was 10+ miles from the main road, I've never seen other people. There isn't much "hardcore" hunters that want to put in the work. I have only talked to one other hunter that has hunted from his backpack for over 20 years. My dad grew up hunting from the truck and doing short deer runs, I am trying to get him to try this new style. I have also spent countless hours reading forum's, books and watching videos to try and learn as much as I can.

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
Books? Internet? Nope. The credit goes to Technological advancement and Uncle Sam. Without all of the satellites orbiting the earth providing info for G P S! few people would venture so far off the road. Some sure. It would take a long time to get to know one area, let alone a half dozen. It seems like the majority of people in the wilderness these days are still plugged in to the 'outside' world.

I suspect G P S along with less disposable income in our economy has made it hard on outfitters.

muleymemories

Lil-Rokslider
SDHNTR has a good point. Cam has made the athlete-hunter more attractive to people. I will credit his writing with my increased interest. But at the same time "extreme outdoor sports" like rock climbing, mountain biking, trail running, long distance hiking and obstacle racing have probably increased at the same rate.

No doubt more media focused on wilderness hunting piques people's interest. But folks were doing backpack hunts before there were hunting backpacks. More are doing it now for sure..

I agree, I still have nightmares about sleeping on the ground in a cheap 5lb coleman sleeping bag!! I left one in the highcountry one year because it was easier just to buy a new one...

We all know it takes a lot of mental and physical dedication to hunt the back country and be successful. I've seem plenty of guys give 50% and come home empty handed. I've never seen them return to those same area's. So I believe the hardcore guys/gals that truly want to be successful will continue to better themselves while the wannabe's will fade rather quickly!!:)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Here in Alaska, I think that the number of backpack hunters is actually sliding. Looking specifically at sheep hunters, which is our main backpack hunted game animal, the number of hunters has been on a generally downhill trend for 20 years (per F&G data), which is counter to our steadily rising population. Yeah, sheep get a lot of play on various forums, but when it comes time to lace boots and put the pack in it turns out most people would rather be fishing.

If you discount the backpack hunters, they yes there is a strong desire to get away from roads, but for the vast majority of people that means boat, aircraft, or ATV transportation. Moose just don't lend themselves to backpacking very far.

Yk

Seems to be my observation as well. On my 3 sheep hunts I went on last year, each was about a week long give or take a day, I only saw one other person. Only one of these hunts was a fly in. The other two were off hiking in off the road. The year before that I went on 4 sheep hunts and only saw moose hunters in the valley's below on one hunt. The rest I never saw another person in the glass and these were all off the road system as well no fly ins.

I think social media, forums, and the internet in general at times gives the illusion there is a LOT more people out there backpack hunting in Alaska at least, but in reality I think its the same or less people actually hunting its just easier to here the stories that you'd never hear or know about before. If this was twenty-five years ago I'd be led to believe on only one other person was out there hunting sheep besides me. :)

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The evolving media has made the biggest impact in my mind. It can take only minutes now for people to know about a kill. Live hunts anyone....