The death of the retail store

On another occasion, l bought a 10lb can of mountain house chicken that was marked on sale. I got home and realized that they overcharged me. So I went back to ask for the difference to be refunded.

The fella at the customer service counter tells me "we don't return food." I re-explain that I don't want to return the chicken, I just want the $12 (whatever) difference back. Mind you, I had highlighted the receipt and taped it next to the sticker on the can...

Guy calls his manager, "uh, I got a guy who wants to return some chicken."

Looks at me like I'm the idiot and starts performing some complex mental math.

Then, writes me a gift card for more than the original price. I took the chicken, the card, and left.

I hear ya. Getting that Hard back catalog was legit. It sat around the house like decoration lol
You know you dropped some coin if you got the hard back! I remember ours sitting on the coffee table too. And eastmans hunting magazine. I’d go through it and say “I’d shoot this one…and this one…”. I was a kid and the last page had the kids grip and grins. Brings back some memories! 😊

I drew for an exotic hunt in Texas, requires use of a muzzleloader or shotgun with slugs, had a 1187 20 slug gun, checked 20 academy stores online in Tx,Ok and Mo along a trip route, 6 said were in stock,only 2 actually had them and less quantity than online. Was in Iowa, went to Brownells store in Grinnell after online said 20 boxes,in store computer said in stock but out of stock. Went to Fleet Farm in Ankeny as an afterthought had 20 different items with at least thirty boxes of each.
I've had the good fortune to do that same hunt.
Shotgun sabot slugs are VERY dependent on location. Just not worth carrying much stock in locations that don't have a shotgun/straightwall requirement.

Bought a Garmin 73sv graph at Sportsman's last year on sale. Went to install it in my boat and found out there wasn't a power cable (it was the display model and the salesman had misplaced the power cable). When I went back to the store to get it, a different representative told me that the guy who sold it to me was the only one who knew where the power cable was and that he'd left on vacation for a week. I asked if they could just grab a power cord for me from a different unit box. I was told no, and asked why. This dingus looked me dead in the eyes and told me "because then that one wouldn't have a power cord." I then had to wait for Dingus #1 to get back from vacation before I could head out and figure out how deep water is.

You can't fix stupid.

It’s funny…way back in the day I worked at Intermountain Outdoors here in Idaho, then Sportmans opened up and all the owners said it was our superior customer service that would keep our customers coming back - they didn’t. Then many years later I worked at Sportsman’s when Cabelas opened up - Sportsman’s said the same thing: our superior customer service would retain customers - it didn’t. Now Scheels opens up…I wonder what Cabelas and Sportsman’s are telling their employees these days?
Intermountain Outdoors... I thought that was the greatest place in the world (Vista store).

Reactions: ODB
About 5 years ago or so, I read an article about some lady in the North East somewhere. A convenience store/gas station place. The guy behind the counter had a line of people and he was being indifferent to the line of people and clearly could care less. Lady say's, "you're being rude and not giving good service". Guy behind the counter say's, "if you want good service, go across the street".

We're in a different world now.

I drew for an exotic hunt in Texas, requires use of a muzzleloader or shotgun with slugs, had a 1187 20 slug gun, checked 20 academy stores online in Tx,Ok and Mo along a trip route, 6 said were in stock,only 2 actually had them and less quantity than online. Was in Iowa, went to Brownells store in Grinnell after online said 20 boxes,in store computer said in stock but out of stock. Went to Fleet Farm in Ankeny as an afterthought had 20 different items with at least thirty boxes of each.
I went into fleet farm last week. Huge selection of guns and ammo. Price on TSS was $2 less than scheels and $10 less than the local shop. Local shop tends to be on the pricey side, but always has a decent selection.

I remember looking forward to the cabelas catalogs. Rip out the order form in the middle and submit your order. That was terrible, but I spent a hell of a lot less before I could click, buy, and play with it in 48 hours!
I was overwhelmed at all the fishing lures they used to have in the fishing catalog. Ordered lots of them, most didn't work, lol. My coffee table, in my single days, was filled with all their various catalogs when I lived in AK, back when Cabela's club card was the cool thing. I still have a little knife I received once with my card. Haven't stopped at a Cabela's in years now.

I went into fleet farm last week. Huge selection of guns and ammo. Price on TSS was $2 less than scheels and $10 less than the local shop. Local shop tends to be on the pricey side, but always has a decent selection.
My local fleet farm is always moving stuff around. It’s like a game they play to keep you in the store longer and make you “see” more things to impulsively buy. I’m in my local one (beaver dam) atleast once a week. Some things they have great selections of, like 300wsm ammo. But then other stuff they don’t have in house, like a simple multi tool or have it all the way across the store with products that don’t make sense. But I guess that’s my fault for having expectations of common sense. Overall it’s one of the better stores, even as poor as it has become.

Retail has become an interesting environment for sure. Between reduced stock/inventory (inventory is money $$$), worker attitudes and/or minimal staffing, and frequent shortages of certain items, frustrating and maddening has become the norm when shopping.

On the other side, those that work in retail have to put up with a lot of "stuff". Working retail in college was what motivated me to push forward. Dealing with all the "Karens and Kens" out there just looking to make their mark. All the retail theft - from every day shoplifters to the mob scene smash, grab, and run group. Bad managers with little to no training. Etc etc...

It's a mess out there in retail land.

For me with sporting goods/hunting/fishing/camping items, I tend to have the best luck at Scheels or Murdochs. The first Scheels I went to was in Eau Claire, WI. Got a lot of reloading stuff and deer rifle ammo there.

I have a love/hate relationship with Amazon. I rarely find a quality and/or name brand item for less than the same item at retail. I do appreciate not having to spend my time and money going to the store though so in that way it's worth it for me. I do hate wading through pages of low quality Chinese communist knock-off goods, shady sellers, and Amazon's "suggestions" to find what I'm looking for despite being specific in my search.

Intermountain Outdoors... I thought that was the greatest place in the world (Vista store).

I moved to Idaho in 1999 - no job prospects, no cell phone, no nothing. I saw an ad for Intermountain on the TV (remember Jerry Sweet?) and drove over to the Meridian store. I was working within a week. Toward the end of my time there I worked at the Vista store - archery department at both places.

I can't believe no one commented on this. :sick:

It's a new thing he is trying to bring to market. When one kid wants chicken nuggs and the other kid wants fish sticks, you air fry some Turkarp Strips* (lightly breaded in organic panko) and they both are elated.

Edit--> I was told they are strips and not stars so they have the versatility for use in a sandwich, taco, or stand a lone finger meal.

Last edited:
The Cabelas and BP stores are great to bring kids to. I buy a few little trinket type things in store but thats about it. Finding knowledgeable sales staff on something like archery is rare from some of the conversations I’ve overheard.

Maybe I’m the Unicorn but I buy most hunting stuff online. I like checking reviews- either on sites like Rokslide or customer reviews on the website before buying something.

Back