"The Case for Destroying Old Forest Roads"

Weldor

WKR
Yeah, there's assholes everywhere. The Tonto National Forest tried to boulder a rode behind the ranch where I live and all the assholes from town, in their quads, Razors and even some trucks, climbed around the barrier and continued ruining the place. Jerkoffs all.
Tonto has turned into a dump. FS just paved a large section of the Control road. travel trailers are left in the same spot all summer and fall. People think it's their private camp. FS does nothing. Many neighbors filed written compliants, nothing. So much for removing roads. After they logged out part of it , they just left the landings. They turned into parking places and camps, the place is overrun with toyhaulers. In othet words Yes I agree Tonto is trashed.

It's a huge waste of money in my opinion. I'm all for closing down old logging roads, but there are more economical ways to do it. Add a gate, or boulders, heck even tear out the first 100 yards of the road. Why spend the money to tear out 2 mile of road, when the access can be eliminated with a few hours of work.
You are clearly not familiar with the capability of flat-brimmed Utah man in a Rzr with a non-resident tag in Idaho.

Well, Mr. Head pecker, I been hearing their stuff since 4th grade (about 50 years now).
If you think they wouldnt keep you out of the woods all together, then I cant explain it
to you.
The radical left would LOVE to shut the roads down.
You've been hearing it, and we're still in the woods.

Your generation is actually the the ones complaining the loudest about how many people are in the woods.

It's actually been proposed in the Global Biodiversity Assessment.

Pretty wild stuff. But certain people actually believe in this stuff.

Certain people believe all the crazy stuff you hear. Doesn't mean it has any business in a logical conversation.

I could be wrong though. What NF have "they" closed or are trying to close to walk in?

I been hearing their stuff since 4th grade (about 50 years now).
Any day now then.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Well, Mr. Head pecker, I been hearing their stuff since 4th grade (about 50 years now).
If you think they wouldnt keep you out of the woods all together, then I cant explain it
to you.
The radical left would LOVE to shut the roads down.
Who’s they and give 1 example. What NF has been closed to walking in?

It’s all starting to make sense to me now. On a federal level, the forest service doesn’t suck at maintaining their permanent infrastructure, they just have a long term re-wilding goal.
That article has some valid points and there are probably places and circumstances in which road reclamation really needs to be done, but it also heavily speaks to “scientists” justifying their point of view anywhere they can. If you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail. I can see identifying areas and doing the projects, but I can also see large areas it’s not going to matter, all roads aren’t bad roads. Nuance needs to be applied.

It’s all starting to make sense to me now. On a federal level, the forest service doesn’t suck at maintaining their permanent infrastructure, they just have a long term re-wilding goal.
That article has some valid points and there are probably places and circumstances in which road reclamation really needs to be done, but it also heavily speaks to “scientists” justifying their point of view anywhere they can. If you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail. I can see identifying areas and doing the projects, but I can also see large areas it’s not going to matter, all roads aren’t bad roads. Nuance needs to be applied.
Yep.

Flip side is true as well though.

How many hunters claim to enjoy wild and natural places, but also want to see them managed for maximum population of their preferred game species?

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Who’s they and give 1 example. What NF has been closed to walking in?
It's not that it has been done, it's the fact that entities, wildlife organizations, ngo's, etc want to achieve that.

The same folks claiming it's "hyperbole" or "fear mongering" because the agenda hasn't been implemented are the same people that are conversely upset about the "project 2025" and other fringe anti public land plans. Ironic huh...?

Go read up on The Wildlands Project, Global Biodiversity Assessment, etc. Look at the groups funding that "research"......they are real and have a real agenda.

Weldor

WKR
Not to be a smart a__, but when did they start managing the NF? Everytime I have made contact with that entity which is frequent, they sitting at their desk or working remote. No LE at all. Usually have to contact region management in Albuquerque or go through my states Governor's office to get a response.