The best all around 243 bullet

Any factory ammo options for 1.8 twist for shooting long range ish? I’ve only shot sako gamehead 100grain and it seems to shoot well, just wondering if there’s anything heavier without hand loading.

Attachments

• IMG_8564.jpeg
    IMG_8564.jpeg
    454.5 KB · Views: 31
Another vote for the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips here. I have had no issues with them at all, and I've taken moose with them.

Also, they look pretty cool lol.

I'll second MightyMitch. Sako 100gr Gamehead is my go to load for 10 twist 243. I've killed more deer than I'll admit (depradation) with these. Shot an entire herd at a range of 373 to just over 400 one night. One shot kills. I would not hesitate on a bull elk out to 400 with these

6cm barrel incoming and I'm ordering the 105 Berger EHs and the 95gr BT because I think the history is cool on those. Not sure how the 7.5 twist will do with the 95s but we will see. It's an 18" barrel for thick woods so I'm not overly concerned with a high BC.

There seems to be an ever growing selection of solid choices In 6mm which is awesome. I remember when I got my first rifle, a .243 model 100, the only thing it shot was 100gr core lokts and I've absolutely hammered some deer with it. I think that's all everyone used down here. I'd be willing to say I've tracked far less deer with my .243 than the vast majority of the many other cartridges I shoot.

Another vote for 100gr btsp interlock. Shoot really well out of my 1:10 twist .243 tc venture with a max load of imr 4831. Sst’s work to but are more destructive to meat and don’t hold up as well if bone is hit.

Thanks, I’m on the fence between a 6ARC with a 20” barrel and 243 with an 18” barrel (already have a 6.5cm). To get that FPS are you loading them pretty hot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn’t consider that a hot load for the arc. If you already have a 6.5 creed I’d go with the arc personally. It’ll widen your range a little more than a .243 and a 6.5 creed

I have two .243s. A Rem Model 7 and a Tikka T3 (10” twist). The Rem isn’t picky about bullet weight, I believe it is a 9” twist. For deer hunting, generally use 100 grain loads.

The Tikka prefers 85-95 grain bullets. Was planning to handload, but it shoots Federal Trophy Copper 85 grain factory loads like match ammo. Consistent 1/2” groups at 100, excellent bullet performance also. Have found that with .243s, penetration is key. The mono copper bullets are in a different league.

Back