The 6UM

I will shoot a 25-284 just because it's not a 6mm or 6.5mm. Yes I know it doesn't make sense...still don't care 😁
don’t listen to em bad mouth the 1/4bore lol. I’m shooting a 25-284 and I have a 6.5saum that I’m pretty sure I’ll rebarrel to a 25saum. Possibly a 25UM if they make the reamer lol. I’ve got some 117AHmrs loaded to test out and looking forward to trying the 134 eldm

don’t listen to em bad mouth the 1/4bore lol. I’m shooting a 25-284 and I have a 6.5saum that I’m pretty sure I’ll rebarrel to a 25saum. Possibly a 25UM if they make the reamer lol. I’ve got some 117AHmrs loaded to test out and looking forward to trying the 134 eldm
I haven't shot the 25 yet but very much so looking forward to it. Just waiting on a barrel!

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
25UM is not in the works. The fact is someone will make a good 120ish bullet for a 6mm and make a 25 pointless 🤣

25UM is not in the works. The fact is someone will make a good 120ish bullet for a 6mm and make a 25 pointless 🤣
That’s not the way I see it. 257 is just a better all around diameter to shoot high bc 120-135 grain bullets. 120 6mm sounds cool but then you probably need a 6 or 6.5 twist barrel and a magnum case get any speed out of it. Then You run into over spinning lighter stuff
But that’s just like my half assed unscientific opinion

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
That’s not the way I see it. 257 is just a better all around diameter to shoot high bc 120-135 grain bullets. 120 6mm sounds cool but then you probably need a 6 or 6.5 twist barrel and a magnum case get any speed out of it. Then You run into over spinning lighter stuff
6UM will spin it fine in a 1/7 probably even a 1/8.

I’m not anti 25 but the industry is.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

A 120gr 6mm will have a higher BC than a 120gr 25cal, and will stabilize in a 1-7” fine. So you go 130gr 25cal, and get increased recoil. Not many people want more tissue damage than 6mm’s can create, so the extra recoil isn’t a great trade off.

6mm’s should be in the low to mid .6 G1 BC. The issue isn’t a magical weight number, it’s a solid BC with terminal performance. A 115gr TMK for instance will be high .5 bc most likely based on other bullets in the line. A 120gr’ish TMK will make .6 G1, and will have tremendous terminal effects.

A 120gr 6mm will have a higher BC than a 120gr 25cal, and will stabilize in a 1-7” fine. So you go 130gr 25cal, and get increased recoil. Not many people want more tissue damage than 6mm’s can create, so the extra recoil isn’t a great trade off.

6mm’s should be in the low to mid .6 G1 BC. The issue isn’t a magical weight number, it’s a solid BC with terminal performance. A 115gr TMK for instance will be high .5 bc most likely based on other bullets in the line. A 120gr’ish TMK will make .6 G1, and will have tremendous terminal effects.
A 120tmk sounds pretty cool, I hope they make it and I hope it’s not as hard to get as the 77tmks.

By the time a mid .6 6mm bullet hits the market I’ll be ready for a rebarrel. Not holding my breath

I've poo-pooed the quarter bores a lot over the years but they sure seem like a great bullet diameter/weight for modest creedmoor sized cases. Buck the wind better than most 6's (seems like the DTACs might be an exception though). Will have better barrel life. Less recoil than the 147+ 6.5s and a fair bit flatter.

Are the blackjack bullets not a thing anymore? Not good on game? Seems like if there are blackjack bullets, 133/135 bergers, and the new ELDm actually available, there are some great options out there.

No denying the #'s and recoil argument for the 6UM, I can't get excited about something that overbore though.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I've poo-pooed the quarter bores a lot over the years but they sure seem like a great bullet diameter/weight for modest creedmoor sized cases. Buck the wind better than most 6's (seems like the DTACs might be an exception though). Will have better barrel life. Less recoil than the 147+ 6.5s and a fair bit flatter.

Are the blackjack bullets not a thing anymore? Not good on game? Seems like if there are blackjack bullets, 133/135 bergers, and the new ELDm actually available, there are some great options out there.

No denying the #'s and recoil argument for the 6UM, I can't get excited about something that overbore though.

I don't get too wrapped up in the overbore conversation, and yes, I pay for my barrels. This 6UM barrel won't have a long life it will be the FF barrel very soon. But I do want to burn down another and see the real-life round count. But it did get me thinking about the most overbore rifle I have been around. My cousins build two 25 Ultra Mags. They pushed a 100-grain Barnes bullet at well over 4000 FPS, and the barrel life was around 250.

Last edited:

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider

How much more recoil do you think you would really notice if you went from a 120gr 6mm to a 133gr 25cal in the same case? I built a 25prc last year to run the 133 bergers. If there had been a 120gr 6mm bullet I would have built a 6saum or 6prc for it. I also had to pay extra to order a 25cal barrel from carbonsix, which was a downside. I personally would like a 25UM so I could go with an even shorter barrel then my 25prc and still have good velocity. I could settle for a 6UM.

Last edited:

Blackjack is extinct, they stole a bunch of money from guys myself included with backorders that will never go out.

Bergers have been the only game in town, luckily they seem to shoot well for myself and most guys and have been pretty available. Having the ELDM as an option will be great I’ve got some on pre order to try.