The 6UM

amassi

WKR
How much more recoil do you think you would really notice if you went from a 120gr 6mm to a 133gr 25cal in the same case? I built a 25prc last year to run the 133 bergers. If there had been a 120gr 6mm bullet I would have built a 6saum or 6prc for it. I also had to pay extra to order a 25cal barrel from carbonsix, which was a downside. I personally would like a 25UM so I could go with an even shorter barrel then my 25prc and still have good velocity. I could settle for a 6UM.
Looks like about 2# more recoil from same cartridge

Everyone that has a bravo needs to email them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I don't own a Bravo (yet) but I emailed them. Also asked about factory Tikka mags. Response below.

"We are looking into a lightweight chassis, but I don’t know if it will be a Bravo style or not. We have no plans for one that takes factory mags, but I will pass it along.

Thanks!"

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks. That’s nothing, especially with a good muzzle brake.

No, it’s not a large difference. Then again, going to a 140 or 147gr 6.5mm is just a couple ft-lbs more as well…. And you are right back where you started.

There is nothing wrong with 25cal. If someone likes them- great. However, by the time someone is looking at something like the 6UM, it would seem they are trying to squeeze out everything they can. I haven’t met anyone that thinks they want more tissue destruction than what the 6mm’s are doing, so there is no advantage to going larger. That’s all.

There is something else to the 6mm, and that’s the rebated boattail of the DTAC. While I do not give much credence to “barrel burner”, because so few people will actually ever shoot out a barrel in their life- especially a large cartridge, the rebated boattail of the DTAC should result in a bit longer usable barrel life.

I just sent them an email too, maybe we can get somewhere with this. I'd love to see the bravo lighter and offered in a long action!
I don't own a Bravo (yet) but I emailed them. Also asked about factory Tikka mags. Response below.

"We are looking into a lightweight chassis, but I don’t know if it will be a Bravo style or not. We have no plans for one that takes factory mags, but I will pass it along.

Thanks!"

25UM is not in the works. The fact is someone will make a good 120ish bullet for a 6mm and make a 25 pointless 🤣
I'm not so sure anyone is going to make that magical 120 grain bullet, as much as I'd love to see it. Not soon enough to satisfy my lack of patience!
Sierra has something great going with the TMK, but they're too incompetent to produce anything at all right now. I'm not sure we can expect them to catch up, much less innovate, without a radical overhaul of their current leadership.
Berger or Hornady might do it if they get enough interest. Their current closest offerings are the 115 or 109 from Berger and the 110 or 109 from Hornady. If they were interested in offering something around 120 grains, we'd be over a year out from seeing them as prototypes.
Any thoughts on the 115 Berger HVLD or 110 A Tip? A Tip looks great on paper, but would it tend to have the same terminal issues as the other caliber/weight offerings seem to have? For 90% of my use I'd much prefer a fragmenting bullet to what the DTAC seems to be doing at extended range.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I'm not so sure anyone is going to make that magical 120 grain bullet, as much as I'd love to see it. Not soon enough to satisfy my lack of patience!
Sierra has something great going with the TMK, but they're too incompetent to produce anything at all right now. I'm not sure we can expect them to catch up, much less innovate, without a radical overhaul of their current leadership.
Berger or Hornady might do it if they get enough interest. Their current closest offerings are the 115 or 109 from Berger and the 110 or 109 from Hornady. If they were interested in offering something around 120 grains, we'd be over a year out from seeing them as prototypes.
Any thoughts on the 115 Berger HVLD or 110 A Tip? A Tip looks great on paper, but would it tend to have the same terminal issues as the other caliber/weight offerings seem to have? For 90% of my use I'd much prefer a fragmenting bullet to what the DTAC seems to be doing at extended range.

Nothing a little money couldn't fix.;)

A TIps don't like that kind of speed. 115 Bergers would be an option.

I wonder what a Noseringed SMK would do.

True that! I've considered making my own bullets, but I have too many other side projects going.
The 115 HVLD is probably a good option despite the lackluster BC.
Someone needs to find out what a nose ringed 110 SMK will do. I'd test them once I have a rifle in hand. Do they sell the nose ring tool separate?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

eoperator

WKR
Someone needs to find out what a nose ringed 110 SMK will do. I'd test them once I have a rifle in hand. Do they sell the nose ring tool separate?
I have thought of doing this but sierra's supply issues are a real bummer.

David tubb permanently rents nosering tool for $570, but it is private use only you have to sign a contract.

amassi

WKR

Isn't the Dtac made by sierra? I seem to remember some of the white box dtacs had sierra codes on the tag

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
The other possible option would be a CEB Lazer. Anyone who has their ear want to request a 100+ grain Lazer?
I reached out to them at least a year ago asking about a 105-120gr bullet and unless things changed I doubt it will happen. The lasher line of bullets only go down to 6.5.

I don't want a mono. It's like fighting with one hand behind your back at longer ranges.
Definitely not a first choice, though not having to worry about spinning them apart is nice. I'd like to believe that the Lazers can still fragment down below 1500 FPS but I haven't seen any terminal data to prove it. They were touted as a potential solution to the lack of terminal performance most monos exhibit but there's not been a lot of terminal data since.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
a9d58c822fbf2d54b4daa3e81519938b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Definitely not a first choice, though not having to worry about spinning them apart is nice. I'd like to believe that the Lazers can still fragment down below 1500 FPS but I haven't seen any terminal data to prove it. They were touted as a potential solution to the lack of terminal performance most monos exhibit but there's not been a lot of terminal data since.

You can control RPM with twist rate. As for Lazors, even if they fragment the wound they create is nothing comparable to a lead core, long for caliber, jacketed fragmenting bullet.

And, besides that, the issue with DTAC’s is mainly availability. If people get over the idea that what a bullet looks like has anything to do with how it kills- the DTAC kills well. Well enough that if there were never a 120gr TMK for instance, I would still be happy with it. The reason for the TMK is larger wounds (not that most people want larger than a DTAC), and a shorter neck length, aka- an earlier upset.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
The reason for the TMK is larger wounds (not that most people want larger than a DTAC), and a shorter neck length, aka- an earlier upset.

I should say- “a larger wound size earlier in the wound channel”. The DTAC creates a large wound already.

You can control RPM with twist rate. As for Lazors, even if they fragment the wound they create is nothing comparable to a lead core, long for caliber, jacketed fragmenting bullet.

And, besides that, the issue with DTAC’s is mainly availability. If people get over the idea that what a bullet looks like has anything to do with how it kills, the DTAC kills well.
What are your thoughts on using the DTAC down near the 1800 fps mark, or even a bit lower? I may be trying to stretch this a bit far, but I think it's certainly capable with the right bullet. Maybe I'm just apprehensive about the way the DTAC performs being so differently from the ELD/Berger/TMKs I've been shooting for years now, but my first preference is definitely for fragmentation vs tumbling.

ETA: I forgot entirely about the Barnes 112 Match Burner. Looks like a good option as well.

Last edited: