The 6.8 Western, By Jesse Werner

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Some dude on the Internet said there's more and that makes it true. And if you question that "fact", you run the risk of getting in trouble for hurting that individual's feelings.

Know how something is actually good? It is when the WKRs bash it. Look at all the WKR-hate on the 6.5 CM. And now the 6.5 PRC is mediocre.

Two things

You are a WKR

I don’t hate the 6.5CM .. I hate the people shooting it… big difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sled

WKR
The 6.8 western sure does make the 270wsm look good. Both of those make the 7prc look even better.

No. It would be in stock and sell out. Then new would show up. However I dont know if it was honest folks buying it or re-sellers these days. Local Cabelas had a new batch of 165 ablr the other day. Curious if it will be gone next time there

6.8W is doing well. Does not take away from PRC rounds in any way. It is a compliment actually given the similarities in design. For 100 years the 270 has been very popular and a top seller. More popular than any 7mm individually. The 270 wsm was second most popular of the short mags. The new
Military round is a 6.8. I dont see why it is hard to comprehend a fast twist 270 may end up doing well

Lou
Everyone knows how them govvie contracts work, 6.8 won't replace anything, just like the SCAR did not replace anything. Always fighting the last war we didn't win.

Unckebob

WKR
I am not talking about number of manufacturers, I am talking about availability. More people may offer 6.5 prc, but it was not being made. Winchester did a much better job putting out batches of 6.8W than Hornady (or anybody else) did during the ammo crunch. Things are loosening up now so see PRC ammo coming back, but it was not there this time last year and 6.8W was is my point. So, who cares if say Lapua makes 6.5prc brass if they never do a run.

I will also comment that the “premium” brass guys make brass for cartridges where they think can get folks to pay 2-5 bucks a piece. Has nothing to do with popular. That is why you can buy mostly dead rounds like the 7 saum or 7 rum from adg but not 7 rem mag.

I am not saying the 6.8W is going to be more or less popular than any PRC round. Even if not as popular as 6.5 prc or whatever does not mean it still wont be popular. Seems to be catching on ok as Win / Browning selling guns/ammo fast as they can make it.

Lou

Out of curiosity, I took a look at Browning/Winchester's ammo offerings. Right now, their lightest factory ammo is over 160g. As of today, the 6.8W cannot do what made the 270 Win so popular for over 100 years - 130g bullets going 3,200 fps and there is no load data to help you roll your own.

While Hornady does not currently offer lighter factory ammo in the 7 PRC, they have published load data going down to 139g bullets fired at nearly 3,400 fps. It can do the 270 job and it can fire heavies faster than the 6.8W can.

In many ways, the 6.5PRC more closely (than the 6.8 Western) replicates what made the 270 popular. Light fast bullets and reasonable recoil.

Last edited:

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
I would have a 6.8W barrel right now if
(a) other ammo companies made cartridges for it
(b) other rifle companies chambered for it
(c) Good, plentiful 270 heavy for caliber bullets were plentiful.

When that happens, I'll probably get one.
Well, there may be more component bullets available that you realize. Now whether they're in stock at the moment is another story. You have the Berger 170's of course, Sierra Tipped Gameking 175's, Nosler's 165 LRAB, and Nosler 170 ballistic tips to name a few. Browning and Winchester loaded ammo has several more flavors in the 170-ish grain range but I don't believe those are available as component bullets...yet.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Hornady will drive the 7 PRC, why the 6.5 xx whatever is so popular, Hornady ammo production which is on the shelves along with bullets for reloaders. What's the #1 selling rifle caliber past few years? It's not because Hornady magically created a new mythical cartridge.

People fail to realize factory ammo drives cartridge adoption after marketing, and there is little to no ammo for the 6.8, it's dead on arrival.
It's certainly not dead on arrival. A 3 minute search just turned up quite a bit of loaded ammo available, actually. Lots of 162gr copper impact and a couple other flavors of 170 grain at the moment. It ebbs and flows right now just like most of the other "new" cartridges.

Sled

WKR
It's certainly not dead on arrival. A 3 minute search just turned up quite a bit of loaded ammo available, actually. Lots of 162gr copper impact and a couple other flavors of 170 grain at the moment. It ebbs and flows right now just like most of the other "new" cartridges.
The only reason it gained any traction was timing and marketing. Marketing is weak but worked at first. The real reason was releasing it around the time of the COVID bump. It was the only ammo on the shelves because no one had a rifle chambered in it. Now people have the rifles with no quality ammo to put through it and they're begging brass manufacturers to make their rifles more than a safe queen.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
The only reason it gained any traction was timing and marketing. Marketing is weak but worked at first. The real reason was releasing it around the time of the COVID bump. It was the only ammo on the shelves because no one had a rifle chambered in it. Now people have the rifles with no quality ammo to put through it and they're begging brass manufacturers to make their rifles more than a safe queen.
Sounds like you may have more of an axe to grind here? Either way, it doesn't matter to me. No quality ammo? I just pointed out there's a decent selection available right now for someone to go buy. I mean...I don't know what you want here? Don't buy one

Sled

WKR
Sounds like you may have more of an axe to grind here? Either way, it doesn't matter to me. No quality ammo? I just pointed out there's a decent selection available right now for someone to go buy. I mean...I don't know what you want here? Don't buy one

I keep my axe sharp. Either we have different definitions of quality or there are new manufacturers making brass from the 6.8 western. Last I saw it was only Winchester.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
Out of curiosity, I took a look at Browning/Winchester's ammo offerings. Right now, their lightest factory ammo is over 160g. As of today, the 6.8W cannot do what made the 270 Win so popular for over 100 years - 130g bullets going 3,200 fps and there is no load data to help you roll your own.

While Hornady does not currently offer lighter factory ammo in the 7 PRC, they have published load data going down to 139g bullets fired at nearly 3,400 fps. It can do the 270 job and it can fire heavies faster than the 6.8W can.

In many ways, the 6.5PRC more closely (than the 6.8 Western) replicates what made the 270 popular. Light fast bullets and reasonable recoil.

I won’t argue on the 6.5prc. It is a modern 270. Shooting high bc 130-150gr bullets so does same up close but a bit better at longer ranges.

Hodgdon has a lot of 6.8W load data published for both traditional and heavy 270 bullets in 6.8W. So does the latest lyman manual. So the load data is there for 6.8 if want to shoot lighter bullets.

Just like the 6.5 prc is a modern incarnation of the 270; I look at the 6.8W as a modern incarnation of the 30-06. 150-175gr bullets at similar velocity but higher bc. Just a bit more weight for heavier game than 270/6.5prc like the old 06 while doing better at long range than old 06 due to high bc Both do not have the recoil of the 7prc or 300 prc which I think is attractive for a light weight hunting rifle

Lou

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
I keep my axe sharp. Either we have different definitions of quality or there are new manufacturers making brass from the 6.8 western. Last I saw it was only Winchester.
While I'm not a fan of Winchester brass, it has held up well once I culled out a few pieces that were defective from the manufacturing process. I've yet to loosen a primer pocket even in a few hot rounds in pressure testing.

I've got up to 12 firings on a few of these cases with annealing every firing and bumping shoulders to a minimum. I'd love to have me some ADG, but there's no way brass would be deal breaker for me after what I've seen this little cartridge do.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
Well, there may be more component bullets available that you realize. Now whether they're in stock at the moment is another story. You have the Berger 170's of course, Sierra Tipped Gameking 175's, Nosler's 165 LRAB, and Nosler 170 ballistic tips to name a few. Browning and Winchester loaded ammo has several more flavors in the 170-ish grain range but I don't believe those are available as component bullets...yet.
On top of these Hammer has quite a few heavy monos for fast twist in their lineup. I have some 156 to try but not got around to it yet. Federal announced a 155 terminal ascent last year but never seen it. Very interesting are the badlands bulldozers - a 140 with .65 bc and 150 with .710 bc. Try those next. I also saw barnes is releasing a 150 lrx for 1-8 .277s this shot show. So lot of hunting options anyway

Lou

Mjmaida

FNG
Just bought a 6.8 western Browning X-Bolt hells canyon McMillan in left hand and I love it shoots sub moa easy and have taken it to 5 inch plates at 300 yards so far. Got it 3 weeks ago with 7 boxes of factory ammo and I’m in love with the quality from a high end factory rifle like this. I have no worries about this caliber not getting enough traction considering I could reload my brass and by bullets for the next 20 years with the gun.

ShaneC

FNG
Just bought a 6.8 western Browning X-Bolt hells canyon McMillan in left hand and I love it shoots sub moa easy and have taken it to 5 inch plates at 300 yards so far. Got it 3 weeks ago with 7 boxes of factory ammo and I’m in love with the quality from a high end factory rifle like this. I have no worries about this caliber not getting enough traction considering I could reload my brass and by bullets for the next 20 years with the gun.
What factory ammo are you using?

MJB

WKR
I have the X bolt HC LR MAX IN 6.8W with a new trigger spring......it's the bomb!
Shot two boxes of the factory lead and was impressed with factory loads run through it.

I'll be using tubs finally finish this summer to dial it in like I've done on my 06 & 270win, it's over kill for hunting but it's fun offhanding a yote at over 700yds.

I will be loading the hammers 162gr
Once I pick a powder

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
I have the X bolt HC LR MAX IN 6.8W with a new trigger spring......it's the bomb!
Shot two boxes of the factory lead and was impressed with factory loads run through it.

I'll be using tubs finally finish this summer to dial it in like I've done on my 06 & 270win, it's over kill for hunting but it's fun offhanding a yote at over 700yds.

I will be loading the hammers 162gr
Once I pick a powder
Just curious why you'd use Tubb's final finish?

Mjmaida

FNG
Before I put the TiPro brake on it just using the worthless factory Browning brake, it was pretty stout. Of course, that was pressure testing with no scope on it either. The extra couple pounds would make a big difference at bringing recoil down. I have not shot a regular .270 so I can't say how they compare. With this TiPro1 on it, I'd say it's similar to .243 without a brake. It's a pleasure to shoot
You think I should upgrade to that brake? I have the recoil hawg on there right now it came with.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
The 6.8 western sure does make the 270wsm look good. Both of those make the 7prc look even better.
The 6.8 will outperform the .270WSM in it's poorly designed SAAMI form. Not talking custom guns/chambers here. I touched on this in the article. And no, the 7PRC is not a fair comparison to the 6.8 I feel. I think the 6.5 PRC sure is.