The 22UM

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks for explaining that, I appreciate it. So, conceptually, the higher the arc a bullet needs to travel to hit at a certain distance, the narrower/shorter the danger zone is? As in, at 700 or 900 yds, etc, a .308 will have a narrower danger zone than something flatter shooting, like a .300WM or .22UM?

Exactly.

The main functional purpose is in something like rutting deer where they are constantly chasing and changing distances rapidly.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
So in theory, @Formidilosus... Could a guy take a factory 22" or 20" 8 twist .223 Tikka barrel, cut to 18" and thread, spin onto a Tikka action, have UM do some gunsmithing, and make this all work? Essentially a "factory tikka" 22 UM?

That’s exactly what this one is. Magnum bolt face, 223 barrel rechambered and threaded. We’ll see how it performs.

Exactly.

The main functional purpose is in something like rutting deer where they are constantly chasing and changing distances rapidly.

I didn't know this term existed, but it really nails the why behind my preference for small, very fast, flat-shooting cartridges on things that move a lot or are just fast, like antelope and especially coyotes. The hits just happen more easily. Until your explanation above I tied it to having the furthest MPBR, and the bullet just getting there before they could move too far off of point-of-aim - but that didn't explain why it still always seemed easier to hit with those same cartridges at distances beyond MPBR too, especially with movers quartering-to and quartering away. Danger zone explains it perfectly.

Those comparative danger zones between 6.5PRC and possible velocities of .22UM were eye-opening; a 130-yard danger zone at 500yds would be such an immense advantage...

I just went to the JBM ballistics website shown in your screenshot and tried to get similar danger zone data for a 30-06 load, but frankly it was way beyond my present skill level. If you don't mind...what would the danger zone be for a 165gr .308 bullet at 2850 mv, BC of .470, zeroed at 200yds, at 4500ft altitude?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just went to the JBM ballistics website shown in your screenshot and tried to get similar danger zone data for a 30-06 load, but frankly it was way beyond my present skill level. If you don't mind...what would the danger zone be for a 165gr .308 bullet at 2850 mv, BC of .470, zeroed at 200yds, at 4500ft altitude?
Just select danger space at the bottom of the calc, its preloaded for a 5" radius on impact (ie 10" vitals). https://jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

What distance you're zero'd at doesn't matter for this calc, its only looking at the the distance in front/behind your target that you're 5" high an 5" low respectively from your correct aim point. I swagged your atmosphere at 23inHg (didn't look it up). At 500yd you're about 465-529yd with that assumption.

Just select danger space at the bottom of the calc, its preloaded for a 5" radius on impact (ie 10" vitals). https://jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

What distance you're zero'd at doesn't matter for this calc, its only looking at the the distance in front/behind your target that you're 5" high an 5" low respectively from your correct aim point. I swagged your atmosphere at 23inHg (didn't look it up). At 500yd you're about 465-529yd with that assumption.

That's awesome, thank you. Missed the checkbox for danger zone entirely. Went in and messed with it a bit, and at 500yds, the danger zone for that 30-06 load for me is about 70yds. At 1000 yards it drops to a 20 yd window.

I think the 22 redline which is very similar to this cartridge found good success with n570 burn rate powders.