The 22 creedmoor thread

id_jon

WKR
I tried Staball Match 39 grains was just under 3400 with 75 eldm SRP brass. I was getting over 100 fps faster with Varget so I didn't try any further. Looks to run + or - within 1 grain of Varget on other cartidges.
I'm shooting 85.5s and 88s, which I think the Staball Match HD is more suited for.

Last edited:

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
I'm shooting 85.5s and 88s, which I think the Staball Match is more suited for.
Yeah. I was just trying about any powder I had on hand except my RL26 don't want to sacrifice it. Lol the Staball powders are cheap an widely available it seems. It did better than the 6.5 Staball for me anyways. That match powder is about as fine as it gets.

id_jon

WKR
Yeah. I was just trying about any powder I had on hand except my RL26 don't want to sacrifice it. Lol the Staball powders are cheap an widely available it seems. It did better than the 6.5 Staball for me anyways. That match powder is about as fine as it gets.
Staball 6.5 in 6.5cm has been great for me, and like $100 cheaper per 8lb jug compared to the H powders I use.

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
Staball 6.5 in 6.5cm has been great for me, and like $100 cheaper per 8lb jug compared to the H powders I use.
Yeah that's why I wanted to try it before I bought more Varget. I was back an forth an missed it on sale like a dummy

Trackselk

WKR
I’ve got close to 800 rounds on this barrel and have only cleaned it once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going to back this load off a little , and maybe it has to do with the R17 powder? I got the supplies to quickly remove carbon rings now at least

id_jon

WKR
Prior to cleaning, avg velocity was 2954, with an ES of 78 over 15 shots.

Scrubbed it down to bare metal, same exact load, in almost the same exact outside temp. I excluded the first shot, since I knew it would be biggest outlier. Going to track every round possible with the garmin and see if I can figure out when exactly it starts to speed up. I think @Lawnboi might be on to something about cleaning every 100 for this cartridge. I had to scrub for a loooong time to get it down to bare metal.
Screenshot_20240117-150650.jpg

Still grouping as expected, however quite a significant zero shift. Though I pulled and remounted the suppressor, as well as pulling the action from the stock, as well as changing geometry of the stock. So honestly I could see all those factors combined explaining this.

Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-17 13_16_06.161900.png.jpg

Has anyone observed cleaning shifting zero?

Juan_ID

WKR
Prior to cleaning, avg velocity was 2954, with an ES of 78 over 15 shots.

Scrubbed it down to bare metal, same exact load, in almost the same exact outside temp. I excluded the first shot, since I knew it would be biggest outlier. Going to track every round possible with the garmin and see if I can figure out when exactly it starts to speed up. I think @Lawnboi might be on to something about cleaning every 100 for this cartridge. I had to scrub for a loooong time to get it down to bare metal.
View attachment 658828

Still grouping as expected, however quite a significant zero shift. Though I pulled and remounted the suppressor, as well as pulling the action from the stock, as well as changing geometry of the stock. So honestly I could see all those factors combined explaining this.

View attachment 658830

Has anyone observed cleaning shifting zero?
Cleaning every 100 rounds??
1705596676414.gif

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Honestly if this cartridge demands it, I'll probably just abandon it. Going to order a PVA 22cm barrel at some point this year and plan on not cleaning, but I'm going to be keeping an eye on velocity.

It doesn’t demand it. I’m around 7-8 that never get cleaned.

As for your rifle, why didn’t you reduce the powder to bring the MV back where it was? That most likely would have worked.

As for your rifle, why didn’t you reduce the powder to bring the MV back where it was? That most likely would have worked.

It sounds to me like it does. The velocity climbed significantly over the course of many rounds without cleaning, then dropped significantly after cleaning. That suggests there was buildup causing increased pressure that may never have stabilized. Why would one cut their powder charge and have to figure out what to cut it to in order to deal with a dynamic issue, when cleaning it is just as easy and no change to powder charge is needed?

270quest

WKR
This past week, Picked up 200 pieces of brass, 5 more pounds of h4350, and 200 80grain ELDXs....Just waiting to recieve the rifle back from Kampfelds.

I am really hoping the rifle likes the 80s because I feel like that would make a great deer option that would make me mentally feel better about possibly using it on an elk.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It sounds to me like it does. The velocity climbed significantly over the course of many rounds without cleaning, then dropped significantly after cleaning. That suggests there was buildup causing increased pressure that may never have stabilized. Why would one cut their powder charge and have to figure out what to cut it to in order to deal with a dynamic issue, when cleaning it is just as easy and no change to powder charge is needed?

The cartridge doesn’t demand cleaning- that’s a one off. In any case, for anyone that actually shoots, cleaning every 100 rounds is a pain in the ass. Constant maintenance, zero shifts, worrying, fussing.. yeah no.

id_jon

WKR

I suspect the barrel is the problem in my case, it has been more erratic than any other gun I've had, and I have 750ish rounds on it. Honestly I didn't even think to drop the charge, I'll keep that in mind for when it speeds up. Like I say, I'm going to monitor every shot possible with the garmin, since I can pretty easily.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
@id_jon

I am a cleaner cause I have had a couple do that during the time I wasn’t cleaning. I hate cleaning, I hate having to confirm velocity an all that comes with it but Iv gotten down to a pretty decent routine, especially with my match guns, to where if I do a cleaning NOT to bare metal velocity stabilizes to what it was prior and zero is largely uneffected. Example would be my last 6 creed barrel, I never touched it more than a tenth through the whole barrel.

I almost never clean to bare metal because it’s a pain. I don’t even understand how some guys are getting a shiny throat after a lot of rounds, it just never gets there for me. Am I doing it wrong I don’t know but anymore I run a patch of bore tech eliminator down the tube, jam a brush with a patch soaked in C4 in the neck/freebore and let it sit overnight. Next day I’ll patch it dry, clean my chamber and go on to shooting. I’ll bore scope every once in a while but Iv found if I keep up on the above and don’t let it get crazy I don’t have issues. My barrels seem to remain more stable through their life.

I’m not a believer in either or, I clean because it’s not hard and iv been bit once. I do think that if you’re not going to clean you need to commit, Eva use after a thousand rounds it’s a lot of work to get anything done in that first few inches of barrel.

id_jon

WKR
@id_jon

I am a cleaner cause I have had a couple do that during the time I wasn’t cleaning. I hate cleaning, I hate having to confirm velocity an all that comes with it but Iv gotten down to a pretty decent routine, especially with my match guns, to where if I do a cleaning NOT to bare metal velocity stabilizes to what it was prior and zero is largely uneffected. Example would be my last 6 creed barrel, I never touched it more than a tenth through the whole barrel.

I almost never clean to bare metal because it’s a pain. I don’t even understand how some guys are getting a shiny throat after a lot of rounds, it just never gets there for me. Am I doing it wrong I don’t know but anymore I run a patch of bore tech eliminator down the tube, jam a brush with a patch soaked in C4 in the neck/freebore and let it sit overnight. Next day I’ll patch it dry, clean my chamber and go on to shooting. I’ll bore scope every once in a while but Iv found if I keep up on the above and don’t let it get crazy I don’t have issues. My barrels seem to remain more stable through their life.

I’m not a believer in either or, I clean because it’s not hard and iv been bit once. I do think that if you’re not going to clean you need to commit, Eva use after a thousand rounds it’s a lot of work to get anything done in that first few inches of barrel.
Your routine sounds super reasonable. I kind of figured that cleaning more often would mean the task itself is much less work than trying to clean to bare metal after 3-400. It can be done, but it is not fun. Like I say, I'm monitoring speed, so if it speeds up when I'm between loadings, I'll try dropping charge, and if I still have a bunch of ammo loaded, I'll clean using your routine, and see how it goes.

rousseb

FNG
Anybody here shooting the 62 grain ELD – VT bullet out of a 16 1/2 inch barrel what velocities are you getting? Also, what twist?

id_jon

WKR
Less than 40 rounds in after cleaning, ES went to 125 and I had a few in a row with crazy bolt lift. I'm retiring this barrel, 764 total rounds.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Less than 40 rounds in after cleaning, ES went to 125 and I had a few in a row with crazy bolt lift. I'm retiring this barrel, 764 total rounds.
Going to try another one? I’ll be happy if I get 800-1000 out of mine. I wonder if a shorter throat would help with barrel life?