The 22 creedmoor thread

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
Iv seen barrels not speed up, and iv seen them speed up significantly around 200 round. So it really depends.
10 4. I backed my grains of a hair just incase it did speed up some but was still fast an accurate so didn't hurt anything

Just shot a few rounds out of the 22 Creed to test the SRP brass in the cold. Truck says -22*, closest town says -18*. I’ll call it -20*. The rifle and ammo rode in the back of the truck for 25 minutes. Then sat for another 30 minutes in the truck. I called that good. If it wasn’t at ambient temp yet it had to be close.

Alpha 22 Creed SRP
CCI 450’s
H1000
80.5 Bergers

I shot 7 times. Zero hangfires. Average velocity was 6 fps slower. I didn’t write down the temp on the day I originally chrono’d it. I would say it was in the 60’s-70’s though. Was mainly testing for hangfires though.

Just shot a few rounds out of the 22 Creed to test the SRP brass in the cold. Truck says -22*, closest town says -18*. I’ll call it -20*. The rifle and ammo rode in the back of the truck for 25 minutes. Then sat for another 30 minutes in the truck. I called that good. If it wasn’t at ambient temp yet it had to be close.

Alpha 22 Creed SRP
CCI 450’s
H1000
80.5 Bergers

I shot 7 times. Zero hangfires. Average velocity was 6 fps slower. I didn’t write down the temp on the day I originally chrono’d it. I would say it was in the 60’s-70’s though. Was mainly testing for hangfires though.
I shot some rounds yesterday at -2 on the new Garmin c1 and had es of 2 and no hangfires, but was shooting varget and hornady 62 eld vt

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m guessing the hang fire issue has a lot to do with powder density. Seems like personally and from a few others the problem arises when there is some space left open in the case.

I shot some rounds yesterday at -2 on the new Garmin c1 and had es of 2 and no hangfires, but was shooting varget and hornady 62 eld vt

SRP or LRP brass? And what brand?

I’m guessing the hang fire issue has a lot to do with powder density. Seems like personally and from a few others the problem arises when there is some space left open in the case.
Yea I was hoping with a full case and 450’s there wouldn’t be a problem. I’ve read that Alpha supposedly has a larger flash hole in their SRP brass so maybe that helps also if true.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
SRP or LRP brass? And what brand?

Yea I was hoping with a full case and 450’s there wouldn’t be a problem. I’ve read that Alpha supposedly has a larger flash hole in their SRP brass so maybe that helps also if true.
I’m not positive if the larger flash hole helps or hurts. I have shot a lot of SRP lapua without issue in 6 and 6.5, even down to 39g of h4350. The 22 creed alpha SRP with 38g of h4350 gave me hang fires.

I had some hangfires with cfe223 and 6.5x47
Wasn’t terrible but you could tell there was very slight delay. Some say flash hole size makes a difference

Alpha 22 Creed SRP
CCI 450’s
H1000
80.5 Bergers

The hangfires I’ve had in my 22 cm happened with H4350 amd superformance. Alpha SRP brass and CCI 450’s. 4350 was last winter about 10-15° temps and the super was warmer temps over the summer. Have tried several other powders the same time as the 4350 without issues. Settled hybrid 100v. That powder has been good. Actually 2 different barrels and both liked that powder the best, different charge weights though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

id_jon

WKR
Velocity is climbing still, and way more spread than I like. Not sure if it's always had this much spread and I just didn't know since I didn't have the garmin xero, or if it's due to the barrel wearing. I'm at 720ish rounds through it, been 3-400 since cleaned last. Going to scrub it out and see if that changes things. Groups are still right around 1.2"
Screenshot_20240115-155909.jpg

Trackselk

WKR
Wow, 3-400 and no pressure from a carbon ring? I get maybe 50-70, but I'm running right up next to max pressure so I wonder if that's the main reason I have to clean so often?

id_jon

WKR
Wow, 3-400 and no pressure from a carbon ring? I get maybe 50-70, but I'm running right up next to max pressure so I wonder if that's the main reason I have to clean so often?
I'm 2 grains over hodgdons max. Last time I cleaned I was starting to get some bolt lift, it was also 100 degrees out. I'm going to play with Staball Match HD instead of 4831sc, see how that does.

Last edited:

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 2 grains over hodgdons max. Last time I cleaned I was starting to get some bolt lift, it was also 100 degrees out. I'm going to play with Staball Match instead of 4831sc, see how that does.
I tried Staball Match 39 grains was just under 3400 with 75 eldm SRP brass. I was getting over 100 fps faster with Varget so I didn't try any further. Looks to run + or - within 1 grain of Varget on other cartidges.