The 22 creedmoor thread

That's a sign to not mess with it if you gotta be soo particular to get it to go. And if it is abnormally slow compared to most others, this barrel won't stay here long.
Yeah, it was an absolute hammer in the accuracy department. Probably the most accurate barrel I’ve had. But it was about 100fps slower than it should be. Could also have been a die issue or who knows what. And my 22 creedmoors have all been finicky with pressure/velocity, not so much accuracy..just to clarify. The PBB barrels I’ve had have all shot accurately just not very fast.

AKG

FNG
I had a 25-284 from PBB that ran pretty slow. They took it back and casted the chamber and it was “perfect”. The barrel was very accurate but ran slow for sure so I just kept shooting and it did speed up a bit. Make sure your chamber is completely free of solvent, and make sure the bore is completely dry and free of any solvent. Like do not clean it and if you do, run isopropyl patches and then several dry patches. I’ve had two barrels from them speed up like 100fps after 75-100 rounds FWIW. Also I’ve had 22 creed barrels and both have been somewhat finicky and aligned closer with hogdon/Peterson data rather than what dudes are posting on the internet. Curious what speeds you’re seeing.
Thanks for the info, I've been using a bore guide with rubber oring while cleaning during break-in and swabbing chamber after to ensure the chamber is dry but didn't use alcohol. Peterson, hodgdon data vs my results that I checked and recorded are attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240104-183821.png
    Screenshot_20240104-183821.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20240104-183753.png
    Screenshot_20240104-183753.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20240104-183727.png
    Screenshot_20240104-183727.png
    211.7 KB · Views: 43
Thanks for the info, I've been using a bore guide with rubber oring while cleaning during break-in and swabbing chamber after to ensure the chamber is dry but didn't use alcohol. Peterson, hodgdon data vs my results that I checked and recorded are attached.
Did you work up to max or just comparing directly to their data?

AKG

FNG
Did you work up to max or just comparing directly to their data?
I started all tests lowered than their max and worked up. H4350 prior to getting my Labradar back I started low and went up until I had some cratering and swipe but no issues with bolt lift. H4831 I also started low but not bottom end loads and worked up to compressed loads, never had an issue with cratering or swipe. I had ignition issues with superformance and the srp brass so didn't try any other ball powders. I have some 80's on hand id tried in my 22-250 but didn't try them as I was already having velocity issues. I seated the 77 tmk and 62 eld-vt so boat tail was at neck shoulder. The color coding on the pics I attached was just to make it easier to compare my results with the most closely related published data.

Gotcha. Try with a good clean chamber and make sure to get the bore free of any traces of solvent and maybe give it 50-75 rounds to break in a little

Reactions: AKG
OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Fwiw Iv seen barrels speed up almost 200 fps over the first 200 rounds.

I wouldn’t count it out until it’s broken in.

That said mine makes that velocity with lower charges, at 16”.

AKG

FNG
I did a short ladder with superformance, 62 eldvt, alpha lrp, Winchester lrm primers. This load was about 100 fps faster than the 4831sc at the highest charge I tried. Still about 300 fps slower than hodgdon data with a 1.3 grains more powder than their max. 400 fps slower than their load with an equal powder charge. I'll have to go back through my notes but I've probably run 70 rounds through this barrel.

id_jon

WKR
I've been trending high at distance lately with my 22cm. Finally got a Garmin xero, so shot with that today. Last time I chrono'd was recently after cleaning around the 500 round mark, avg 2850, today around the 700 round mark, avg 2920. Accuracy is still fine. Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-05 15_01_32.203303.png.jpg

If I start blowing primers or gaining even more speed, I'll scrub it, until then I'm going to adjust my velocity in AB and run with it.

I did a short ladder with superformance, 62 eldvt, alpha lrp, Winchester lrm primers. This load was about 100 fps faster than the 4831sc at the highest charge I tried. Still about 300 fps slower than hodgdon data with a 1.3 grains more powder than their max. 400 fps slower than their load with an equal powder charge. I'll have to go back through my notes but I've probably run 70 rounds through this barrel.

I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but what are the specs on your gun?

AKG

FNG
Hodgdon and Peterson both utilized a 24" barrel in developing their load data. I don't think that I've seen hornady load data yet for the 22cm. I expected a variance in velocity due to the 22" barrel I have compared to 24" test barrel+ a potential difference due to random differences between barrels, specific brass and bullets used that may or may not stack in favor of higher/lower velocity . The reduced velocity with this setup is about twice what I would have considered within a normal range of variability.
I found it. Has anyone confirmed what barrel length Hornady is using for their data?

Thanks for sharing your load notes. I received my Peterson large rifle brass this week and will be trying Superformance with 88gr ELDM again tomorrow. Based on my past experience and your data, I don’t have high hopes, but will certainly share my results.

As expected, underwhelming speed. Accuracy was great, speed was not.

16.5” 1:8 barrel (Tikka 223 originally)
Peterson LRP Brass
CCI 34 primer (magnum)
88gr ELD-M
39.3 gr Superformance (guesstimate right around max Hodgdon book load)
2660 fps average

Based on Hodgdon’s data, this load should produce somewhere around 3050 fps out of a 24” barrel, so I would have expected 2750-2800 fps.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
As expected, underwhelming speed. Accuracy was great, speed was not.

16.5” 1:8 barrel (Tikka 223 originally)
Peterson LRP Brass
CCI 34 primer (magnum)
88gr ELD-M
39.3 gr Superformance (guesstimate right around max Hodgdon book load)
2660 fps average

Based on Hodgdon’s data, this load should produce somewhere around 3050 fps out of a 24” barrel, so I would have expected 2750-2800 fps.
How many rounds? You may be there once it speeds up

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
How many rounds does it typically take? I'm 125 or so on my Tikka barrel.