The 22 creedmoor thread

Mark5868

FNG
Hope Hornady provides load data and they offer factory loads lighter then 80 grain bullets.

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
Hope Hornady provides load data and they offer factory loads lighter then 80 grain bullets.

I listened to their entire release and my understanding was it’s not going to be an industry wide release. Horizon firearms is the only retailer and specd out the 80s and 1:8.
There’s load data out now from hodgdon and Peterson

Mark5868

FNG
The previous load data wasn’t SAMI spec’d unless it just happens to fall with in the specs of what the new SAMI specs happen to be.

So, what are the SAMI specs for this round? I bet its gonna be anemic compared to what many guys on the internet are loading.

amassi

WKR
The previous load data wasn’t SAMI spec’d unless it just happens to fall with in the specs of what the new SAMI specs happen to be.

So, what are the SAMI specs for this round? I bet its gonna be anemic compared to what many guys on the internet are loading.

All the hodgdon is under saami . 2 of the Peterson are 500psi over saami.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
The 80 eldx sounds interesting for 223. But with the 88 available I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t want to take advantage of the BC if you have the twist in a creedmoor. Atleast those are my thoughts considering it as a big game bullet.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
The 80 eldx sounds interesting for 223. But with the 88 available I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t want to take advantage of the BC if you have the twist in a creedmoor. Atleast those are my thoughts considering it as a big game bullet.

The issue is MV at 60k’ish PSI. 22” barrel, 88gr ELD-M at below 65,000psi is 3,000-3,100fps. The 80gr can be closer to 3,200-3,250fps from same.
You can easily load to pressures high enough to get 3,200+fps from the 88’s, and do it safely. But, it is above 65k.

I don’t agree with them on the 1-8” twist and 80’s as the bullet, but I also am killing things bigger than Texas deer with it and in more wind. Horizon wanted the muzzle velocity and doesn’t understand why anyone would want to go heavier than 80gr. Unfortunately the 80gr ELD-X won’t fit in most 223 mags… so the TMK is still the one.

What's the scoop on this 80 ELDx you folks are talking about. Google shows nothing.

amassi

WKR
What's the scoop on this 80 ELDx you folks are talking about. Google shows nothing.

Per the podcast Hornady developed it specifically for horizon firearms and the saami 22cm launch. Sounds like it gives up bc to the 80 eld-m

There is pre order loaded ammo on the 22creedmoor.com site- no data like mv or bc

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Per the podcast Hornady developed it specifically for horizon firearms and the saami 22cm launch. Sounds like it gives up bc to the 80 eld-m

There is pre order loaded ammo on the 22creedmoor.com site- no data like mv or bc

The BC is nearly identical to the 80gr ELD-M.

SouthPaw

WKR
Here is the 80g ELDM in the Waters Mag loaded right off the lands in my 223 Tikka, OAL = 2.42. Managed 2800fps in my 20" barrel with very compressed load of Varget. Extending the freebore another 100 thou would easily still fit in the mag, and allow more room for powder.

Attachments

• 80g eldm waters mag.jpg
    80g eldm waters mag.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 80
  • 80g eldm 223 ladder.jpg
    80g eldm 223 ladder.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 78

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Given the wounding of the 88, do you see a role for eld-x other than Hornady/Horizon having a “hunting” round?

Yes and no. For those that don’t understand why the heavier bullet such as the 88’s are better, it makes sense. There’s already been one person in this thread wishing for light weight bullets in 22CM factory ammo. For them to have SAMMI’d it for 88’s would have meant a 1-7” twist, and that would have caused issues with lighter bullets. Horizon made the 22CM with one foot in the old belief, and one foot in high BC.

I do think for quite a few people, the 80gr makes sense.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
The issue is MV at 60k’ish PSI. 22” barrel, 88gr ELD-M at below 65,000psi is 3,000-3,100fps. The 80gr can be closer to 3,200-3,250fps from same.
You can easily load to pressures high enough to get 3,200+fps from the 88’s, and do it safely. But, it is above 65k.

I don’t agree with them on the 1-8” twist and 80’s as the bullet, but I also am killing things bigger than Texas deer with it and in more wind. Horizon wanted the muzzle velocity and doesn’t understand why anyone would want to go heavier than 80gr. Unfortunately the 80gr ELD-X won’t fit in most 223 mags… so the TMK is still the one.
I think it’s neat that they have made a 22 cal big game bullet, really not much on the market regardless of the knowledge of how bullets work. Might open some eyes.

The appeal of the 22 creed for me was all wind performance. I wanted the lowest recoil, with the highest wind number I could get. Still want to try a 6 creed in a short hunting rifle to see the difference, maybe when I get a tag for an anti 22 cal state.

I have a little extra room in my magazines and going to give the 80 Eldx a try in my 223.