The 1 Thing You Learned- Rifles

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Lower magnification when practice shooting. I was intent on making the smallest groupings possible and using the highest magnification. Lower magnification makes getting on target faster. I was at the lowest setting when I took my shot.

I worked on visualizing the vital hit spots (I’d only been bird hunting prior to this) so when it did come time it was instinctive as possible. If I saw a picture or elk sized animal (a cow for example) I would try and see where I would aim. I didn’t want to get focused on a “sub-moa“ target.... probably sounds funny to an experienced hunter, but goes along with being on target FAST.

Also, make sure your guide/buddy/hunting partner doesnt get too excited and yell at you to take the shot.

Very good thread.
You brought up a great point I haven't seen covered yet. Practicing with your partner or spotter is key. People have so many different communication styles, and it would be helpful to be in sync with your partner before the pressure of game time. I've had spotters yelling at me before, not because they were mad, but because they got excited and that was their communication style. It rattled me at a time when I needed the opposite. Could have been avoided by following your tip 👍

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll have to think about 1 thing but must reply that I'm so damn impressed by your picture. People like you prove that there are no excuses in life. You're an inspiration to me....maybe that's my 1 thing.

Great thread you made.
Thank you so much! If you're ever looking for a pick me up, I've got lots of videos on my other website that you might like 😊 www.jakefrenchinspires.com

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Spend your money on your feet, backpack, and exercise routine. I’ve had several friends spend a ton on rifles and never get to the point to make a shot because their lungs , feet , or back go out.
And to add on to your excellent point, make sure to practice shooting while you are exercising and winded. We don't want to make the 1st time we do this to be in the field when an animal is in the scope!

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've killed more coyotes then anything else with a rifle. One thing I've notice in the last few years is that I'm able to pull off way more running shots if I'm shooting a fast bullet. I would take my .204 @3800fps over my .243 @2900 any day of the week. A also quit flip flopping back and forth between calibers for day/night guns...nice only having to bring 1 box of ammo along for a day/night hunt
Fear the man with 1 gun, He probably knows how to use it

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I built up a monopod this year today and with my new set of 12x50 Razor binos, I saw soooo many more animals than last year. I originally started with a shooting monopod that the rubber/plastic fork broke off of, a $5 ball head I found on ebay, and the outdoorsman mount. I switched to a 6 piece collapsible monopod that now fits in the waterbottle pocket on the side of my pack. It also doubles as a walking stick or lay the monopod over 90 degrees and it has a little saddle to lay my rifle on.

View attachment 242710
Adding stability lets us see so many more animals moving instead of the landscape because of our wobbles

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Oh yea! I hunt the rainforest of AK primarily. The fundamentals include firearm stabilization first! I'm running for a rest or hitting the deck with my pack. I also know the limits of my off hand shooting. Inside 100yrds and I'm steady eddy with a functional margin of error.
I used to fall into the trap of erring on the side of a bigger gun to make up for mistakes in shooting. Like all the experts before us, they were right when they emphasized shot placement above all else

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thumb goes on the same side as your trigger finger when shooting over 200 yards.

For years I struggled to shoot consistent groups and didn't feel comfortable shooting a deer beyond 300. Attended a leadership seminar and spoke to a Navy Seal sniper who told me to stop gripping with my thumb laid over the top.

One of those things that's so simple I still can't believe I didn't think of it myself.
I've been seeing more and more people in the PRS scene doing this. Is this a new technique, or did most of us just grow up with the wrong technique?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I switched to a Single Focal Plane scope this year and forgot to adjust the parallax knob on my first shot at a buck.. Ended up getting him but definitely a lesson learned.
How much do you think are forgetting to adjust your parallax threw your shot off?

I've been seeing more and more people in the PRS scene doing this. Is this a new technique, or did most of us just grow up with the wrong technique?

I do not think this is new, if I had to guess this is intuitive or known to precision shooters.

For us hunters, I think we train ourselves to hold tight and be ready to bring the gun up quick for jump-shots, waterfowl, etc. -- at least, I know that's true for me.

Good article on it: https://blog.gritrsports.com/parallel-thumb-placement/

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
How much do you think are forgetting to adjust your parallax threw your shot off?
Well it was set at 100 and the shot was 490yrds. At that distance and with that difference between adjustment and actual range, I can easily 'move the cross hairs' several inches in any direction within the objective.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I do not think this is new, if I had to guess this is intuitive or known to precision shooters.

For us hunters, I think we train ourselves to hold tight and be ready to bring the gun up quick for jump-shots, waterfowl, etc. -- at least, I know that's true for me.

Good article on it: https://blog.gritrsports.com/parallel-thumb-placement/
Maybe because hunting rifles tend to kick more than heavier precision rifles, we trained ourselves to grip them more. Thanks for the article, it's terrific!

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well it was set at 100 and the shot was 490yrds. At that distance and with that difference between adjustment and actual range, I can easily 'move the cross hairs' several inches in any direction within the objective.
Has anyone else tested this? Might be interesting to do a formal test and write an article about it for Rokslide next summer 😁

EastMT

WKR
Take the firing pin out of your bolt and check your ammo to make sure it closes, factory or reloads. I had my die move a bit and didn’t bump the shoulder enough on the last half. Got to the middle of sheep country and had 5 of 10 bullets were tough to close the bolt.

Still probably usable but not ideal, always check!

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Take the firing pin out of your bolt and check your ammo to make sure it closes, factory or reloads. I had my die move a bit and didn’t bump the shoulder enough on the last half. Got to the middle of sheep country and had 5 of 10 bullets were tough to close the bolt.

Still probably usable but not ideal, always check!
Great tip that could save your hunt!

JakeSCH

WKR
When you grab a box of factory ammo, verify that they aren't spent cartridges before you leave the house. Did that one like 6 years ago, luckily it was a local hunt. I just came back home and went to sleep.

That's a fantastic tip that I've never heard of! A friend of mine has a wife who often has trouble finding the animal in the scope, so I will tell her about this 👍
Have you gotten your rifle out and tried it? I was gobsmacked the first time I did.

With regard to horses, My pack horse wrecked my Scope by smacking his pack against a tree. I will carry a rifle in a scabbard, but I no longer trust a packhorse with it.