The 1 Thing You Learned- ELK

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hire a good outfitter 😂

Let’s face it, it’s tough to find let alone kill a real monster, I’ve spent decades hunting elk, and I live in elk country, spent countless hours preparing, planning, scouting etc. there’s always something that gets in the way, I know I’m not alone.

I’m older now and wanted that experience once in my life, so I decided to bite the bullet and hire a really good outfitter, worth every penny.

View attachment 375829
Plus the lessons you learn from them can be applied to every hunt you do on your own

Gerbdog

WKR
I'm surprised that Western hunters don't go to the lengths that Eastern whitetail hunters do to control our smell
Good question... always been told, and in my experience, always true, if your upwind of the elk you've already lost the game... maybe its the hunting style vs. eastern whitetail hunting? Western elk hunting your (often, i know some guys are tree standing elk on a regular basis) moving and getting yourself in a position to be downwind of the elk.

I reckon anything to conceal your smell can only help though, i just dont tend to go that extra length. I'll put clothes through a scentless wash before i go, toss it in a huge ziplock, and make sure it gets to the hunting spot smell free but.... heck.... after day 4 i smell. Period. Aint no washing machine around.

Probably has more to do with that i spose.... no washing machines to be had, and these western elk hunts are often week - 2 week long events.... your not going home every evening and de-scenting your hunting gear

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good question... always been told, and in my experience, always true, if your upwind of the elk you've already lost the game... maybe its the hunting style vs. eastern whitetail hunting? Western elk hunting your (often, i know some guys are tree standing elk on a regular basis) moving and getting yourself in a position to be downwind of the elk.

I reckon anything to conceal your smell can only help though, i just dont tend to go that extra length. I'll put clothes through a scentless wash before i go, toss it in a huge ziplock, and make sure it gets to the hunting spot smell free but.... heck.... after day 4 i smell. Period. Aint no washing machine around.

Probably has more to do with that i spose.... no washing machines to be had, and these western elk hunts are often week - 2 week long events.... your not going home every evening and de-scenting your hunting gear
I think we just move around so much more here in the West that getting down into something is often more important than extreme scent control. The most successful hunters I know go hunting in the same clothes they go logging in that smells like diesel and chainsaws lol

There's something to be said for chainsaws and diesel. The animals are used to it. A chainsaw never hurt them and neither did a logger carrying it. Campfires as well are a part of the smells throughout the year in western states. Sitting around the campfire at night puts a nice odor in the clothes and it's something the animals smell year around. Not saying to go out and stand by a campfire, I just don't fear smells as much as it's made out to be, lol. But I will rub my feet in deer or elk sign and every once in a while pick some up and rub it on my pant legs.

I've had mule deer walk up to where I was sitting by a rock and reached out and touch their nose with a gun barrel as they were grazing the ground between my feet. I've had cow elk within 5 feet, little old me sitting on a hill in a root ball hole from blowdown where I was watching a large meadow. Their (straight toward me) travel line from 400 yards away, took them out of sight at the base of the hill and I was sure I was gonna have to shoot in self-defense. The lead cow passed first, two calves then the cow at the rear stopped, turned her head as her rear end was even with me. From that distance she looked straight into my soul. At that point she very well knew I was there. They continued on their line over the hill and out of sight. Only had a bull tag that year, filled it the next day from the same spot.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There's something to be said for chainsaws and diesel. The animals are used to it. A chainsaw never hurt them and neither did a logger carrying it. Campfires as well are a part of the smells throughout the year in western states. Sitting around the campfire at night puts a nice odor in the clothes and it's something the animals smell year around. Not saying to go out and stand by a campfire, I just don't fear smells as much as it's made out to be, lol. But I will rub my feet in deer or elk sign and every once in a while pick some up and rub it on my pant legs.

I've had mule deer walk up to where I was sitting by a rock and reached out and touch their nose with a gun barrel as they were grazing the ground between my feet. I've had cow elk within 5 feet, little old me sitting on a hill in a root ball hole from blowdown where I was watching a large meadow. Their (straight toward me) travel line from 400 yards away, took them out of sight at the base of the hill and I was sure I was gonna have to shoot in self-defense. The lead cow passed first, two calves then the cow at the rear stopped, turned her head as her rear end was even with me. From that distance she looked straight into my soul. At that point she very well knew I was there. They continued on their line over the hill and out of sight. Only had a bull tag that year, filled it the next day from the same spot.
I've got friends who shot elk off the skidder and ranch pickups. I think you're right that even though wild animals are extremely sensitive to human smells, except industrial ones they're used to. I can see it know....buy the new Scent Blocker diesel version 😂

DeePow

FNG
I'm still fairly new to the archery elk game, but "slow your ass down" is definitely my lesson from this year. Blew some good opportunities by being too aggressive, especially trying to close the distance on a bugle. I was right on estimating where the bull was... but didn't count on the cow that was 100-150 yards closer. Totally busted, and she took the herd with her.
Always beware of the lead cow. Their senses are more keen and they guide the group

I don't know that the lead cow's senses are more keen, she's just the old girl on the mountain that's been alive long enough to know how to use them. 👍

PRC_GUY

WKR
One thing I learned from elk hunting the last 2 years.
1. The rugged mountains kicked my butt
2. I consider Elk is just like mountain gosh, they disappear so fast.
3. Enjoy the unlimited outdoors and don’t stress myself even I didn’t shoot.

lavashine

FNG
"One" thing I learned from elk hunting: youtube, books, tv, rokslide etc. are awesome resources and definitely give an average Joe like me a head-start but.... NOTHING taught me more than my first few days solo elk hunting with my bow in the mountains! I screwed up sooooooooo much!

I am going to add another one. Take the first shot you have that is within your capabilities. I am not saying take a bad shot, or to push a shot through something, or take a bad angle. I am saying a Bull at 45 yards broad side stopped and bugling, coming to a wallow on a string and the wallow your sitting at is 32 yards away. You wait for him to get a little closer and then the wind swirls, and he is gone. That's a tough learning experience. I will always pass on a bad shot, bad angle or too much brush. Last thing I will do is take a chance at wounding one. But I have made the mistake of not taking the opportunity given a few times too many, waiting for a closer opportunity. Know your capabilities and if the opportunity arrives within that range, take it.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One thing I learned from elk hunting the last 2 years.
1. The rugged mountains kicked my butt
2. I consider Elk is just like mountain gosh, they disappear so fast.
3. Enjoy the unlimited outdoors and don’t stress myself even I didn’t shoot.
You're right on with #3. The company I work with (Spartan Precision Equipment) is based in England. Through talking with them it has really sunk in how lucky we are. Even if our public land isn't always the best, they don't even have the option!

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
"One" thing I learned from elk hunting: youtube, books, tv, rokslide etc. are awesome resources and definitely give an average Joe like me a head-start but.... NOTHING taught me more than my first few days solo elk hunting with my bow in the mountains! I screwed up sooooooooo much!
That's why I'm a huge advocate of not waiting forever for a trophy tag if you don't have much elk experience. You'll learn so much more by just getting out there, and you'll be way more prepared for if you ever do draw a trophy tag

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am going to add another one. Take the first shot you have that is within your capabilities. I am not saying take a bad shot, or to push a shot through something, or take a bad angle. I am saying a Bull at 45 yards broad side stopped and bugling, coming to a wallow on a string and the wallow your sitting at is 32 yards away. You wait for him to get a little closer and then the wind swirls, and he is gone. That's a tough learning experience. I will always pass on a bad shot, bad angle or too much brush. Last thing I will do is take a chance at wounding one. But I have made the mistake of not taking the opportunity given a few times too many, waiting for a closer opportunity. Know your capabilities and if the opportunity arrives within that range, take it.
Sounds like a valuable lesson learned the hard way

To add on to your excellent ideas, practice shooting after doing some short sprints. We often forget that we are usually out of breath when trying to make a shot
So many good tips on this thread!

This is one i learned the hard way in my still novice hunting experience: there's no bench and perfect conditions (distance, angle, set-up, surroundings etc.) in the field.

To prep for next season, i'm taking my shooting practice into the bush with a metal gong. Planning to hike and get out of breath and shoot from different positions and angles.