The 1 Thing You Learned- ELK

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
The biggest thing I have learned is that sound woodsmanship is perhaps the least discussed and most important skill an elk hunter can possess.

Knowing how to read sign, spot game, understand basic animal behavior/anatomy, blood trail, and interpret wind/weather all play a pivotal role in continually finding success on the mountain. Woodsmanship is becoming a lost art that cannot be replaced by an app, forum or YouTube video.

The cool thing is you don’t have to live in the mountain west to hone these abilities. While the Rockies present major challenges (for many of the reasons already stated) field craft/woodsmanship can be developed in hunting situations all over the country.

as cliche as it sounds, attitude, effort, persistence, and irrational optimism is the secret sauce hunting anything..... mastering the basics, and refining your strategy regionally..... it all becomes more natural with experience. i think trying to emulate others holds people back. of the guys that consistently fill tags hunting anything, everyone has their own style...... i have never met anyone who relies on outside information/copying other successful hunters who is a consistent killer.... maybe there are some out there, but i haven't met one.... same thing fishing. the more names they drop, the less stuff they seem to kill.

never ever become one dimensional.... a lot of the influencers are pretty one dimensional, but being versatile is always a benefit in the woods. calling is not the best way to kill most bulls most days, some days calling may be the only way to kill a particular bull.... recognizing that and having a lot of tools in the tool box is always good. i understand some don't want to kill a bull unless they bugle it in, but if that's not you, don't rely on the tube as your only option.

don't get caught up in assumptions, especially second hand assumptions. assumptions in the woods will make you less effective. i prefer hunting alone, and feel i'm more effective/efficient lone wolf.... the ONLY downside period is when a bull hits the ground, but it's certainly worth it to me. i also have a couple solid hunting buddies that will often help too, knowing from that point, i will hunt with them the rest of the season returning the favor (i'll do that whether they help me pack a bull or not)

i was lucky, and had no mentors, nobody to show me the ropes... i had a steep learning curve early, but lessons learned were my lessons, and stuck. forced me to form my own style, knowing why i do everything i do, not learning bad habits from others.... if you're new to the game, and don't have anyone to go with, consider it a blessing, you'll figure it out.... might seem intimidating, but it's not a big deal if a little common sense is applied, especially these days with all of the tools and resources..... consider the source of advice you listen to, you are better off figuring things out on your own vs taking advice from someone who has killed one elk in 8 seasons (or whatever) nothing wrong with that, you just may not want to take their word as gospel, i see a lot of that type of info shared on the internet... all advice isn't good advice to follow

Zappaman

WKR
Maybe already said... but leave the house and "baggage" behind.

Go hunting with the full expectation of enjoying the hunt regardless of the outcome. This certainly means being prepared for all facets of what's to come: financial, camp/hiking gear/food, knowing your weapon, being in good health, and all the time remembering good planning will still meet (many unknown) challenges that WILL come up on every hunt. SH!T happens, but the way you DEAL with it is what counts (to yourself AND to other hunters you might be hunting with).

Some guys I hunt with are just who they are (I am too)... they get "bitchy" if it starts raining, pissed about a missed shot, or they just aren't into it (for whatever reason)- but ONLY for a short time- they they (I) move on. We all deal with SOME of that (hunting and in life in general). But I'm going to hunt and have a good time- despite whatever happens- and be glad I'm there (even when the going gets tough).

I tend to hunt with the same few guys because despite the "downer" moments (we all have them)-- we work it out (and move on after a SHORT while)... all having a good time with whatever the field give us to work with.

After a dozen elk hunts over they years... GUESS what we remember the most? - getting rained on for four days, absolute dumb-ass mistakes we (each/all) made, and some of the FUNNY stuff that JUST HAPPENED when we were out there. We fly fish each year and tell all those stories and laugh our asses off!

I solo hunt deer when I can because it's JUST me in my county where it's easier to pack-out the same day and have a deer hanging when I go to sleep. But for Elk, I enjoy putting in with our group because we all have the same ethics and attitudes (*bases on years of ranching and wilderness biology in our pasts).

I am a lucky person with the hunting buddies I have, or when solo because I HAVE FUN-- THAT is what it's all about to me.

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
A couple buddies and I hunted our first LE unit and learned a ton. If I had to pick the most important thing I learned was get the wind right and close the distance on rutting animals. I probably spent 3 hours of that hunt in a super excited this is about to happen zone but a tree branch covering vitals led to no shot the take 1 more step and your mine to straight up running elk at 40 yards. Knowing when to play the thermals is also critical basic stuff.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We’ve had an outstanding response from all of you on these “1 Thing You Learned” series. I just created a new forum thread about hard lessons learned about choosing scopes for hunting.

Head over to this link if you’d like to share one thing you learned about scopes, horror stories, or want to learn a secret for making the most out of your hard work in the field!

DSC8095_2048x.jpg

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So many good tips on this thread!

This is one i learned the hard way in my still novice hunting experience: there's no bench and perfect conditions (distance, angle, set-up, surroundings etc.) in the field.

To prep for next season, i'm taking my shooting practice into the bush with a metal gong. Planning to hike and get out of breath and shoot from different positions and angles.
I'm going to try doing this as well. If I can find any ammo...

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A couple buddies and I hunted our first LE unit and learned a ton. If I had to pick the most important thing I learned was get the wind right and close the distance on rutting animals. I probably spent 3 hours of that hunt in a super excited this is about to happen zone but a tree branch covering vitals led to no shot the take 1 more step and your mine to straight up running elk at 40 yards. Knowing when to play the thermals is also critical basic stuff.
That one branch in the way is the most frustrating thing in the world! Good point about the thermals. I don't think people who haven't hunted in the steep mountains appreciate appreciate this variable enough

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Elk is tough, there are a large number of elk was shot each year and could not find them. Make sure you take a good placement shot.
And I would add to use a tough bullet. I believe bullet construction is more important than the cartridge it's fired from

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The biggest thing I have learned is that sound woodsmanship is perhaps the least discussed and most important skill an elk hunter can possess.

Knowing how to read sign, spot game, understand basic animal behavior/anatomy, blood trail, and interpret wind/weather all play a pivotal role in continually finding success on the mountain. Woodsmanship is becoming a lost art that cannot be replaced by an app, forum or YouTube video.

The cool thing is you don’t have to live in the mountain west to hone these abilities. While the Rockies present major challenges (for many of the reasons already stated) field craft/woodsmanship can be developed in hunting situations all over the country.
I think learning animal behavior is the toughest part of woodsmanship. This is why I believe in getting out there and hunting as much as possible, even if it's not in trophy units

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
as cliche as it sounds, attitude, effort, persistence, and irrational optimism is the secret sauce hunting anything..... mastering the basics, and refining your strategy regionally..... it all becomes more natural with experience. i think trying to emulate others holds people back. of the guys that consistently fill tags hunting anything, everyone has their own style...... i have never met anyone who relies on outside information/copying other successful hunters who is a consistent killer.... maybe there are some out there, but i haven't met one.... same thing fishing. the more names they drop, the less stuff they seem to kill.

never ever become one dimensional.... a lot of the influencers are pretty one dimensional, but being versatile is always a benefit in the woods. calling is not the best way to kill most bulls most days, some days calling may be the only way to kill a particular bull.... recognizing that and having a lot of tools in the tool box is always good. i understand some don't want to kill a bull unless they bugle it in, but if that's not you, don't rely on the tube as your only option.

don't get caught up in assumptions, especially second hand assumptions. assumptions in the woods will make you less effective. i prefer hunting alone, and feel i'm more effective/efficient lone wolf.... the ONLY downside period is when a bull hits the ground, but it's certainly worth it to me. i also have a couple solid hunting buddies that will often help too, knowing from that point, i will hunt with them the rest of the season returning the favor (i'll do that whether they help me pack a bull or not)

i was lucky, and had no mentors, nobody to show me the ropes... i had a steep learning curve early, but lessons learned were my lessons, and stuck. forced me to form my own style, knowing why i do everything i do, not learning bad habits from others.... if you're new to the game, and don't have anyone to go with, consider it a blessing, you'll figure it out.... might seem intimidating, but it's not a big deal if a little common sense is applied, especially these days with all of the tools and resources..... consider the source of advice you listen to, you are better off figuring things out on your own vs taking advice from someone who has killed one elk in 8 seasons (or whatever) nothing wrong with that, you just may not want to take their word as gospel, i see a lot of that type of info shared on the internet... all advice isn't good advice to follow
Couldn't agree more about the attitude part. Here's a whole article I wrote for Rokslide on it https://www.rokslide.com/could-attitude-be-a-hunters-most-valuable-tool/

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Maybe already said... but leave the house and "baggage" behind.

Go hunting with the full expectation of enjoying the hunt regardless of the outcome. This certainly means being prepared for all facets of what's to come: financial, camp/hiking gear/food, knowing your weapon, being in good health, and all the time remembering good planning will still meet (many unknown) challenges that WILL come up on every hunt. SH!T happens, but the way you DEAL with it is what counts (to yourself AND to other hunters you might be hunting with).

Some guys I hunt with are just who they are (I am too)... they get "bitchy" if it starts raining, pissed about a missed shot, or they just aren't into it (for whatever reason)- but ONLY for a short time- they they (I) move on. We all deal with SOME of that (hunting and in life in general). But I'm going to hunt and have a good time- despite whatever happens- and be glad I'm there (even when the going gets tough).

I tend to hunt with the same few guys because despite the "downer" moments (we all have them)-- we work it out (and move on after a SHORT while)... all having a good time with whatever the field give us to work with.

After a dozen elk hunts over they years... GUESS what we remember the most? - getting rained on for four days, absolute dumb-ass mistakes we (each/all) made, and some of the FUNNY stuff that JUST HAPPENED when we were out there. We fly fish each year and tell all those stories and laugh our asses off!

I solo hunt deer when I can because it's JUST me in my county where it's easier to pack-out the same day and have a deer hanging when I go to sleep. But for Elk, I enjoy putting in with our group because we all have the same ethics and attitudes (*bases on years of ranching and wilderness biology in our pasts).

I am a lucky person with the hunting buddies I have, or when solo because I HAVE FUN-- THAT is what it's all about to me.
You're totally right, these days it's ultimately about fun. We're lucky enough that we don't absolutely have to hunt for food to make the difference between living and dying. Even though we place a ton of pressure on ourselves, remembering to enjoy the experience will make everything better

Only hunt with people that you know have the same mindset and expectation as you.

The next is to not treat elk hunting like deer hunting in that you can get away with more movement and noise than what you can deer hunting.

joel_sledz

Lil-Rokslider
Slow play. Slow play. Slow play. Coyote the herd until they make a mistake (unless you have a caller). Too many times I’ve jumped the gun and went in on them and busted them out.

BBob

WKR
Two things: When it’s time to move run don’t walk. Get on their nose and not on their tail. I’m coming from run and gun archery rut hunts but they’d apply elsewhere too.

TWill_61

FNG
Two things I’ve learned in two trips. (Well there may be more packed into this)

2016- Access is key depending on the season your hunting. Know if it’s a hiking trail unit, an atv unit, or other. First ever elk trip and I knew nothing. I just assumed you hoped on a trail like you see on tv and before too long you’d be into elk. Except that it was 2nd rifle season…and it was still warm. Hiked 2-3 miles and thought I was far enough back. Not even close. Hunted them like deer and tried to be stealthy. Didn’t cover nearly enough ground. The only elk I saw that trip was on a rainy day when I decided to climb up a mountain on the opposite side the trail was on. Only saw them for a split second. I said if I go back I’m gonna go during archery and figure out how to access better.

2019- Went to a draw unit with a bow in hand. Brought an atv because it was definitely a unit where you needed them to get in deep enough. So I did better on access. And I got into elk with the help of a guy I met on Facebook. I searched for the unit I was going to and some guy mentioned he’d planned to hunt that unit. We updated each other on how we were doing. Day 3 he messaged me saying he shot a cow but there were bulls all around. I asked him if he needed help packing out his cow and he was certainly happy. It was quite the experience cutting up and packing it up to the atv trail. Came back the very next day and cow called my way into a screaming herd bull. Ran into his harem of 7 cows and tried to shoot one of them but wasn’t quite close enough.

And here’s the lesson. I returned to that same location at least 3-4 more times. I got married to that spot and that encounter. Never saw or heard another elk on that spot. I had the most success hunting with a buddy who’d been there multiple times before. Twice we got into bugles. Yet every other hunt I kept coming back to that one spot. I left a day early and that buddy who was staying longer shot a 7x7 the next night.

So 3 things:
Understand access- Use Google earth, buy trail maps, ask locals and game wardens about trails

Make friends- Maybe they won’t be as helpful as that one guy was. Most are protective of their spots and rightfully so.

Don’t Get Tunnel Vision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Only hunt with people that you know have the same mindset and expectation as you.

The next is to not treat elk hunting like deer hunting in that you can get away with more movement and noise than what you can deer hunting.
Nothing ruins a hunt more than finding out the person you've just committed to spending a couple days with gives up really easy or is more about drinking beer and eating donuts