The 1 Thing You Learned- ANTELOPE

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think most of us make a mistake over and over again. We go on a hunt, but don’t make the effort to think critically about 1 thing we learned and will do different next time.

Think about it, how often do magazines write about a hunt, but fail to single out an action item to change in the future? Just 1 thing, maybe something you learned about antelope behavior, your rifle setup, clothing, camping system. We can consume all the information we want, but if we don’t change anything, did it really do us any good?

I’d like to start a series of discussions to get us in the habit of reviewing our hunt, and share highlights about the 1 thing we learned on a particular topic. To start, 1 thing I learned about hunting antelope in Wyoming and Montana is that wind can impact your trip unlike any other hunt you’ve been on. Even though I grew up in central Oregon where there are plenty of windfarms, I’ve never seen anything like what you find in the above states. On my first trip to Wyoming 6 years ago, the guy I was with told me to hold on the tail of the antelope I was shooting at 340 yards away. He was right, that wind had to be going 30 mph and the call was perfect. 3 years ago I got to hunt with my brother in central Montana, and half the trip was spent in the hotel room because the wind was blowing too hard to hunt. I didn’t even know that was a thing, but we tried driving around and all the animals were hunkered down out of sight. From these experiences I learned to get way better at reading wind, and build extra days into the trip to account for extreme weather I’m just not used to.

So how about you, what is one thing you have learned about antelope? (include pictures if possible)

20141001_121230.jpg

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve seen this in two areas I have hunted quite a bit, so not sure how valid the conclusion is. But where water is scarce and the population pretty good, it seems each area herd has its water hole time window. I have used that to relocate a buck more than once.
Interesting, I've never thought about it like that. I wonder if it's all part of them setting up their territories? Have you found this only applies during the rut, or any time of year?

Tmac

WKR
Interesting, I've never thought about it like that. I wonder if it's all part of them setting up their territories? Have you found this only applies during the rut, or any time of year?
It was always pre-rut into the rut. The bigger males were with the females, so your theory might be it. No idea. But one area was in S Cent. OR, the other SE MT. Have not run into those conditions elsewhere, so no idea if this is normal or a random deal.

Know the topography and property well, specifically where fences/gates are. They WILL find the easiest way to escape, be it a missing lower wire in a fence or an open gate. You can predict where they will go and what range your shot will be at. If you do sneak into range unnoticed, always be ready for a quick shot, they like to move. These apply to archery/rifle spot and stalk, water holes are for patient people...

j_volt

WKR
This is tough to narrow down to just one...

• For getting tags -> Just go. I worried for years about which unit. Just go.
  • For field judging -> Phoneskopes help if you don't have much experience.
  • For finding goats -> it seems that everyone on Rokslide mentions getting away from the roads. That's great, but much of the antelope habitat is littered with roads and your truck moves a lot faster than your feet. However, by getting out of the truck 10-150 yards to glass can make all the difference.
  • For shooting -> being able to shoot far is preferred. My last antelope was shot at 310 yards, and that felt close based on the Wyoming topography.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It was always pre-rut into the rut. The bigger males were with the females, so your theory might be it. No idea. But one area was in S Cent. OR, the other SE MT. Have not run into those conditions elsewhere, so no idea if this is normal or a random deal.
That's one of the toughest parts about hunting antelope, most of us get to do it so infrequently that it's hard to learn patterns

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would say their behavior is still typical for late season. Its just very difficult to get close if you don't have much topography to work with.
I've run into that problem being confined to a wheelchair. I hunt from a pickup truck now, which makes getting close tough. Any out of the box ideas on how to fool them from a truck?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Know the topography and property well, specifically where fences/gates are. They WILL find the easiest way to escape, be it a missing lower wire in a fence or an open gate. You can predict where they will go and what range your shot will be at. If you do sneak into range unnoticed, always be ready for a quick shot, they like to move. These apply to archery/rifle spot and stalk, water holes are for patient people...
Have you ever heard of people making escape routes for antelope? I'm thinking like making some low spots in the fence, or constructing some kind of structure to funnel them to a strategic spot. People put in this kind of effort for whitetails in the East, so I'm just wondering if anyone does this for antelope in the West?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This is tough to narrow down to just one...

• For getting tags -> Just go. I worried for years about which unit. Just go.
  • For field judging -> Phoneskopes help if you don't have much experience.
  • For finding goats -> it seems that everyone on Rokslide mentions getting away from the roads. That's great, but much of the antelope habitat is littered with roads and your truck moves a lot faster than your feet. However, by getting out of the truck 10-150 yards to glass can make all the difference.
  • For shooting -> being able to shoot far is preferred. My last antelope was shot at 310 yards, and that felt close based on the Wyoming topography.
These are terrific suggestions! Couldn't agree more with your suggestion to just go.

Have you ever heard of people making escape routes for antelope? I'm thinking like making some low spots in the fence, or constructing some kind of structure to funnel them to a strategic spot. People put in this kind of effort for whitetails in the East, so I'm just wondering if anyone does this for antelope in the West?
Yes - but intentionally is not needed nor is it practical for most people, myself included. One day of scouting public land (or knowing the land owner) will reveal their travel route and which gates are open. They pattern like whitetails and only range a few miles. Often when spooked they will circle back within the hour, pending the amount of hunting pressure of course.

Also, carry black gloves, use their eyesight against them. Goes along with the curiosity comment above. I got busted by a large group with no terrain to hide and just held my hands (black gloves) up next to my head as horns, and the whole group came to 400 yards, twice. Still couldn't get a good shot off quick enough (again they dont stand still long after hunting season opens).

Yes - but intentionally is not needed nor is it practical for most people, myself included. One day of scouting public land (or knowing the land owner) will reveal their travel route and which gates are open. They pattern like whitetails and only range a few miles. Often when spooked they will circle back within the hour, pending the amount of hunting pressure of course.

Also, carry black gloves, use their eyesight against them. Goes along with the curiosity comment above. I got busted by a large group with no terrain to hide and just held my hands (black gloves) up next to my head as horns, and the whole group came to 400 yards, twice. Still couldn't get a good shot off quick enough (again they dont stand still long after hunting season opens).
I like the black glove idea. I will have to use that one, thanks! We also have filled a few tags sitting at wire crossings. The last Nebraska antelope I took, looked liked a Mt. Lion had raked his back, as he had spent so much time crossing under the fence.

TXCO

WKR
If you care about score, look for mass. As mentioned, phoneskopes help.

Get the hide off quick to avoid hair slip. Even a tarp while field processing can help in the heat by providing shade.

They can be fairly territorial and you dont have to chase or push them. If tey arent spooked they'll usually come back later that day or the next.

Have fun!

Biggie

FNG
Scout two days and have your buck picked out for opening morning. Get there a couple hours early to beat the crowd and shoot him. Otherwise things get considerably tougher every hour that passes.