Texas school shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWOHTR

WKR
If we had to take a consequence for killing a school shooter and risk loosing our own lives to save one person, we would all do it in a heartbeat.
It is unfortunate that there have been numerous instances of people's actions contradicting their words regarding this. The police officer who ran for cover in the shooting a few years ago, Sailors nowadays who "vapor lock" in the moment of truth and won't press the FIRE AUTHORIZE button to shoot down an incoming missile (yep this happened in 2016 in the Navy...Bab al Mandeb strait), to the person who runs the other direction when a small fire needs to be put out.

Ten Bears

WKR
OK, I'll bite here and play some devil's advocate.

What prescriptions are they on? Zoloft, 50mg. Diagnosed with depression and anxiety.
What’s their home life like? Stable.
What were the warning signs? Loved "the army." Always drew army tanks and drawings. Liked to dress in camouflage and military surplus clothing.
Tell us about their family afterward?
What video games and types of media were they involved in? Loved playing the Grand Theft Auto, SOCOM, and Metal Gear Solid series video games. Thoroughly enjoyed computer real-time strategy games.

The above answers trip 3 of 5 of your warning signs - that's 60%. Someone might say that person was "highly likely" to commit an act such as a school shooting. How can we ignore such strong warning signs?!

I'll even throw in one more question you didn't pose: "Were firearms accessible in the house?" with an answer of "yes." Now the likelihood goes to 4 of 6 and 66%.

That person I described above...is me. Yet I have never shot up a school or done anything violent. My point is simply that we have warning signs all over the place but how do you assess their validity? And the unfortunate answer is, I do not know. I think about this a lot, and I just don't know.

Someone mentioned the "nuclear family" and I think that has a lot to do with it. Parents assume responsibility for their children and are actively interested in their lives and development. I was fortunate to be raised by loving and responsible parents. Were they perfect, no, but they were loving and taught me a lot. Parenting is not a hands-off profession.

I could go on for hours but instead, I'll say this situation breaks my heart and I do find myself questioning some of my values because of it. I believe it's a "poor mechanic that blames his tools" yet it's hard to sit back and see schools get shot up using these "tools" that are held so near and dear to many people's hearts.

C’mon man. I think we can do better than that.

Almost everyone of these folks have made threats about doing an act like this.

Why weren’t the threats taken seriously.

What responsibilities do mental health professionals have when they see alarming traits or confessions without violating trust ?

Animal kills and mutilation

What drugs exactly are they on ? any commonality ?

Yeah man i get it, a lot of people play video games and are on anti depressants. I am sure we can atleast try to pattern these people. It’s more sensible than trying to blame an object.

Another thing that bothers me is there are algorithms that listen to every word we say or type for advertising/shipping purposes. No one has one for some psycho that’s posting about commuting these atrocities ? And let’s not act like we aren’t being totally spied on already.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
First of all, the death of so many children and others sickens me. It's horrific. I'll also wait to hear more of the details about this event before I make any further comments. Also wanted to share this photo......its from a small school district about an hour from Boise. About half the teachers have taken the training and are armed and the other half elected not to.

Randy20171101_160441.jpg

BuzzH

WKR
C’mon man. I think we can do better than that.

Almost everyone of these folks have made threats about doing an act like this.

Why weren’t the threats taken seriously.

What responsibilities do mental health professionals have when they see alarming traits or confessions without violating trust ?

Animal kills and mutilation

What drugs exactly are they on ? any commonality ?

Yeah man i get it, a lot of people play video games and are on anti depressants. I am sure we can atleast try to pattern these people. It’s more sensible than trying to blame an object.

Another thing that bothers me is there are algorithms that listen to every word we say or type for advertising/shipping purposes. No one has one for some psycho that’s posting about commuting these atrocities ? And let’s not act like we aren’t being totally spied on already.
I'll just leave this here to answer to your question.

While I agree mental health is important, our country, citizens, and elected officials like to talk about it, but not fund it.

Brooks

WKR
Instead of 400 billion spent on securing Ukraine how about we spend that on security jobs for every public school. Well paid former military or other competent individuals who will take the job seriously. Not rent a cops but real competitive jobs with good wages.
Because we have a liberal bunch running the country that will only say gun control is the only thing that will fix the problem. They should have told that to the guy in WI that killed all those people with his car.

Nah, gun lobby will push to arm children instead.

I’m all for responsible gun ownership, but I need license, registration and insurance to drive a Prius. I think we can do better on gun control while not infringing on 2A rights.

Extremists on both ends leave zero room for actionable compromise and reduced gun violence.
You don’t need a license or registration to drive a Prius, the car will drive without either of those. Hell you don’t even need to own the car to operate it. You could steal a car, drive a 100mph without a license (maybe not in a Prius) into a crowd. How does the license and registration thing fit in? Better Mental health care is the right answer. That’s a whole giant thing that’s not real sensational doesn’t make money or get votes so…

Flyjunky

WKR
There have been over 200 people killed in Chicago already this year. Do you notice nobody in our government talks about that? No talk of gun bans because of all these killings. Why? Is it because Chicago is democrat run and already has stiff gun control measures?

Also, I believe the shooter in buffalo was sent to a psych facility last June and only kept there for 36 hours before being released.

Taking mental health seriously, teaching people to speak up if they notice someone’s social media is troubled, fortifying our schools with officers, getting back to values and respect for others would go a long way in this country…but more gun laws won’t do much of anything.

*zap*

WKR
The mayor of chicago just said we need better national gun control laws...

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot, a Democrat whose city is notorious for its high violence rates, also offered her opinion about the school shooting.

"As a nation, we simply cannot allow this to continue. Every single day, children and young people are losing their lives to people who do not value the sanctity of life and take advantage of the unabated presence of firearms in our communities," Lightfoot said in a statement.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
The time to arm our teachers is past due. That the most simple solution in my eyes, arm and train those who are willing. If certain schools don’t arm teacher or have enough teachers who wish to be able to defend themselves and the children then I’d gladly pay more in taxes for multiple armed security guards in my child’s school. This is such a horrific tragedy there are no words. F*ck

4. Kill every single school shooter. Don’t just take them to jail where they’ll end up with food to eat and no bills. Kill them on the spot and let the cameras on them so anyone even thinking about it knows for 100% sure they’ll die.
So if it's okay to ignore the 6th Amendment, does that make it okay to ignore others?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.