Telling someone you have 'ignored' them = name calling?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, I should have drank more coffee before posting. The original post is in the spoiler tab below without edits.

For anyone just coming in. Is telling someone you are ignoring them a form of lashing out, or is it good manners to let someone know you will no long be looking at anything they post?

There was a recent thread that got me to articulate this.

Personally, I think it is, and should face the same consequences.

Don't get me wrong, I think the ignore feature is great, I have used it twice, though no one is on my ignore list at the moment. So don't take this as me disliking the function.

I do think telling someone you are ignoring them is petty and pathetic. It is basically saying "you are a *@%* and I'm not even going to let you respond." Like a toddler screaming "I hate you" then stuffing their fingers in their ears and screaming "lalalalala." In other words, I see it as no different, and perhaps worse, than a personal attack.

Granted, not telling someone takes all the fun out of using the ignore feature. Usually at the point I want to use it, I would really like to say some things I should not, and like the toddler, I just want them to hurt, which is why I really want to tell them.

I also think this form has made me a better person as I have learned to let things go and stay within the rules of acceptable conduct. It has changed my habitual response to people I feel are stupid and those new habits have bleed over into other areas. So, mods, sorry to suggest adding work for you, but I truly appreciate the environment you guys have created.

Last edited:

Rick M.

WKR
I appreciate the ignore feature very much. It’s great to utilize on members who are repeatedly toxic and belligerent in every thread they participate in, or those members who would attempt to make everything political. Ignoring them means I don’t see any of their trash anymore, as if they don’t exist. Makes the forum much more clean and tolerable.

ljalberta

WKR
I think anytime someone gets wound up or has their day affected by a person on the internets, they might need to take a break from the internets. Who cares if someone says they’re going to use the ignore feature.

Don’t let someone you don’t even know live rent free in your head.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I think anytime someone gets wound up or has their day affected by a person on the internets, they might need to take a break from the internets. Who cares if someone says they’re going to use the ignore feature.
Same applies to name calling, that attitude results in places like 24hr CF. Anywhere humans interact rules of decorum are required to avoid chaos, even the worst elements of human societies have rules.
Don’t let someone you don’t even know live rent free in your head.
You are certainly reading way too much into this. But, hey, quant and officious advice is probably the reason the Internet was invented.

svivian

WKR
There was a recent thread that got me to articulate this.

Personally, I think it is, and should face the same consequences.

Don't get me wrong, I think the ignore feature is great, I have used it twice, though no one is on my ignore list at the moment. So don't take this as me disliking the function.

I do think telling someone you are ignoring them is petty and pathetic. It is basically saying "you are a *@%* and I'm not even going to let you respond." Like a toddler screaming "I hate you" then stuffing their fingers in their ears and screaming "lalalalala." In other words, I see it as no different, and perhaps worse, than a personal attack.

Granted, not telling someone takes all the fun out of using the ignore feature. Usually at the point I want to use it, I would really like to say some things I should not, and like the toddler, I just want them to hurt, which is why I really want to tell them.

I also think this form has made me a better person as I have learned to let things go and stay within the rules of acceptable conduct. It has changed my habitual response to people I feel are stupid and those new habits have bleed over into other areas. So, mods, sorry to suggest adding work for you, but I truly appreciate the environment you guys have created.
I love when members put their ignore list on their signature line like a badge of honor....

ljalberta

WKR
I certainly could be reading too far into this. And if so, I apologize.

I would suggest that the following quote below may also be reading too far into things. I would guess that when many people say they are using the ignore feature, it is simply to communicate that they will no longer be seeing certain messages and responding to them, without the added flair below.

It is basically saying "you are a *@%* and I'm not even going to let you respond." Like a toddler screaming "I hate you" then stuffing their fingers in their ears and screaming "lalalalala." In other words, I see it as no different, and perhaps worse, than a personal attack.

Anyways, I will be stepping out of this conversation now, but I shall not be using the ignore feature :).

TFrank

WKR
This is the internet, as far as I am concerned everyone could be/is fake.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I certainly could be reading too far into this. And if so, I apologize.

I would suggest that the following quote below may also be reading too far into things. I would guess that when many people say they are using the ignore feature, it is simply to communicate that they will no longer be seeing certain messages and responding to them, without the added flair below.

Anyways, I will be stepping out of this conversation now, but I shall not be using the ignore feature :).
Very fare observation and excellent reply.

Context is rather important. It is a waste of time, and I don't recommend reading it, but the last several pages of this thread reminded me of kids on a playground. It was fun to watch though (I'm a little ashamed to admit that). https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...ate-party-to-ffl-where-did-i-go-wrong.328680/

*zap*

WKR
too many folks just online to screw with other people. first move is to walk away, second move is acceptance of where you are. if you cannot reach out and touch them they will just keep screwing with you and your karma, just ignore/no response without using any 'feature' is the most freeing mentally. good luck.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
too many folks just online to screw with other people. first move is to walk away, second move is acceptance of where you are. if you cannot reach out and touch them they will just keep screwing with you and your karma, just ignore/no response without using any 'feature' is the most freeing mentally. good luck.
I agree 100%.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I ignored a guy for being rude to me after he provided me the wrong shipping address in a sale. I refunded his money and ate the cost of re routing the package even though he provided the wrong address.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Very fare observation and excellent reply.

Context is rather important. It is a waste of time, and I don't recommend reading it, but the last several pages of this thread reminded me of kids on a playground. It was fun to watch though (I'm a little ashamed to admit that). https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...ate-party-to-ffl-where-did-i-go-wrong.328680/
There's a few folks in there that just need deleted entirely, I couldn't believe that nonsensee when I read it.

I haven't "ignored" anyone yet and just stop reading some of the nonsense, but it just keeps popping up more and more. I would tend to agree telling someone you are now ignoring them seems to be less than productive - typically when this happens, the entire threads just need nuked. To me, it is not worth the time of the moderators to clean that stuff up.

It is fun to watch, to a point, and then the digression into childish insults just gets plain sad.

I have found that most comments have something to offer. Some fill gaps in knowledge while some some fill gaps in understanding. It is my choice to take what I choose and leave the rest.

I have only chosen the ignore tab once. At this point in my life I don't tolerate lectures from idiots very well. They are like phone calls from your ex-wife. Not needed!