Target Panic and Shot Execution in Bowhunting, By Andy May

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Rokslide, I want to introduce you to Andy May, AKA @Ridgerunner7.

Andy May.jpg

Andy is a resident of Michigan and a longtime DIY hunter who took up hunting later in life. With no mentor, Andy learned to hunt through trial and error. He became obsessed with tracking down mature bucks in his pressured home state of Michigan. After years of consistent success, he ventured to other states, from Wyoming to Maryland and everything in between. Andy is a blue-collar guy who works two jobs yet still finds a way to be successful on multiple DIY trips each fall. He has hunted 19 states, all DIY, and has killed 83 bucks. Most of which are trophy antlered and with a bow. Although Andy loves hunting big bucks, challenging himself with new adventures and quality experiences with his friends and family outdoors is the most important thing to him.

Give Andy a warm Rokslide welcome, and check out his article on target panic and shot execution.

Target Panic and Shot Execution in Bowhunting

entropy

FNG
Agree, good article. I still listen to the podcast Andy did with DIY Sportsman about 3 years ago, still lots of great info in that discussion.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Andy, great article. I already added a few pounds to my release and I think it’s helping. Was thinking too much like a rifle hunter that lighter pull is better. I’ve only fired about 60 arrows with more release tension, but less premature fires so far.

Thanks!

Thanks guys. It’s something I struggled with for years and there were guys/resources that helped me. This article is some of that info with some tweaks that helped me personally a little more. Hopefully it can help someone else.

Zdub02

WKR
I'll be revisiting these drills after the way I shot yesterday. Great advice and thanks for the write up.

Good article. Haven't had target panic issues with an index finger release since I learned to shoot one with back tension many years ago.

I still own a Carter Evolution pure back tension release and a Scott hinge release...both are hand held. They helped me "cure" target panic and led to shooting the index finger finger with back tension.

Good article. Haven't had target panic issues with an index finger release since I learned to shoot one with back tension many years ago.

I still own a Carter Evolution pure back tension release and a Scott hinge release...both are hand held. They helped me "cure" target panic and led to shooting the index finger finger with back tension.
I used the same Carter Evolution and a Scott Longhorn Hunter to help me as well years ago.

Amen_R

FNG
Hey Andy do you have a preference between back tension or hinge releases for a suprise shot?

Amen_R

FNG
Also does anyone run a hinge or back tension while hunting or do you guys mostly practive with them in the off season and then switch to a trigger in season?

Mintz

FNG

Hey Andy do you have a preference between back tension or hinge releases for a suprise shot?
I'm actually going back to my hinge for this year. I think I perform best under pressure with a hinge although I don't "punch" any release. Even after all these years I still get pretty jacked up when drawing on an animal and I seem to execute the best shot with a hinge when the nerves are maxed out. With that being said, I've killed a ton of animals with my thumb button with zero issues. I often enjoy trying new things and then I feel a little better when writing about it or giving advice. I used a hinge 100% in 2013, the year after I missed, wounded several animals as a result of target panic and made 3 great shots on 3 big bucks. Not sure why I got away from it. I think you should use the release that you are most comefortable with and the one that helps you execute that perfect shot (not necessarily the release you are most pin point accurate with). The release that helps you perform that good execution is the one that will shine in those adrenaline pumpoing moments when the stakes are high and that pin is dancing around.

Also does anyone run a hinge or back tension while hunting or do you guys mostly practive with them in the off season and then switch to a trigger in season?
I know several great hunters that hunt with a hinge. Many of them have target archery backgrounds. I don't know if its the most ideal for hunting...(shooting in the wind, shooting in cold weather)... but I'm willing to use whatever release I can perform best under pressure with.

Hey Rokslide, I want to introduce you to Andy May, AKA @Ridgerunner7.

View attachment 569478

Andy is a resident of Michigan and a longtime DIY hunter who took up hunting later in life. With no mentor, Andy learned to hunt through trial and error. He became obsessed with tracking down mature bucks in his pressured home state of Michigan. After years of consistent success, he ventured to other states, from Wyoming to Maryland and everything in between. Andy is a blue-collar guy who works two jobs yet still finds a way to be successful on multiple DIY trips each fall. He has hunted 19 states, all DIY, and has killed 83 bucks. Most of which are trophy antlered and with a bow. Although Andy loves hunting big bucks, challenging himself with new adventures and quality experiences with his friends and family outdoors is the most important thing to him.

Give Andy a warm Rokslide welcome, and check out his article on target panic and shot execution.

Target Panic and Shot Execution in Bowhunting
Very nice article!

TAS95

FNG
Great write up! Thanks for the exercise examples that most articles I’ve read seem to lack. Opinions on someone jumping into a tension release very early on? Only 2 weeks into shooting a bow and know I have a problem with shot anticipation from the firearm world

I think a tension release is a great learning tool (especially early on) and, yes you can hunt with it too. Takes some getting use to and some discipline but I know a few guys that use it for hunting. Most however, seem to use it as a tool to learn a good "pull through" execution and an unanticipated shot and then switch back over to to a thumb style or index release. If archers were taught with that type of release right from the beginning I don't think target panic would be a thing. It's those crappy index finger releases 90% of us learned on that was the culprit.