Target Bow for Hunting?

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
A few years ago, I made the switch from a 34" ATA bow to a 28" ATA. My thoughts were that a more compact bow would better suit my hunting style (backpack, spot-in-stalk, etc.). But after shooting my shorter ATA bow, the Mathews VXR 28, I quickly learned that my accuracy had diminished severely. I thought that over time I'd learn how to control it better, but after a couple years I finally had enough and woke up one random morning and drove to my local bow shop. My mind was set on a Mathews TRX 34, a bow with a 34" ATA and 6.5" brace height. The only problem was that my bow shop didn't have one in stock. They only had a TRX 36" with 60# limbs and a TRX 38 G2 with 70# limbs. I really wanted to go with the 34 due to me thinking a 36 was too long for my hunting style, but I also wanted to shoot as much draw weight as possible. So I gave the 38 a test drive and found that the bow didn't seem as long as it did on paper and therefore, I bought it. It wasn't until I already told the shop owner that I'd take it that I realized that it had a 7" brace height and my stomach immediately sank. I thought I had screwed up as this bow wouldn't be capable of producing enough energy for western big game hunting.
After having it setup and testing the new arrows that I wanted to use, I ran the numbers and found that I had PLENTY of energy to kill anything that calls North America home (+/- 67 ft/lbs). This was a relief, but I still wasn't sold on whether I had made a good decision or not, especially when you drop close to 2 grand on a bare bow. So I just prayed about it and left it in God's hands. A couple of months later Rokslide's Cold Bow Challenge came around and I thought that this was a good opportunity to put this thing to the test. I practiced up and the more I practiced, the more my confidence grew. In a short few weeks, my MER (Maximum Effective Range) went from 60 yards to 100 yards and I'll be real and tell you that I'm by no means what I'd consider a great shot.
Once the Cold Bow Challenge rolled around, I called my MER 100 yards with a 8" vital zone. I went 4 for 5 inside the 8" square and 3 of those were within a "Block" target's 6x7 hexagon and the 1 that was outside the 8” block, only missed by a couple inches. I was very pleased with the results, God had answered my prayers, and feel I now have the ultimate hunting bow. Now, the only thing left to do is to actually put an animal down with it. I'll follow up on this thread after the upcoming season and give ya'll my feed back.

81EFA44B-6F15-4EAF-9CA1-7CA099DF444C.jpeg

Last edited:

big44a4

WKR
A few years ago, I made the switch from a 34" ATA bow to a 28" ATA. My thoughts were that a more compact bow would better suit my hunting style (backpack, spot-in-stalk, etc.). But after shooting my shorter ATA bow, the Mathews VXR 28, I quickly learned that my accuracy had diminished severely. I thought that over time I'd learn how to control it better, but after a couple years I finally had enough and woke up one random morning and drove to my local bow shop. My mind was set on a Mathews TRX 34, a bow with a 34" ATA and 6.5" brace height. The only problem was that my bow shop didn't have one in stock. They only had a TRX 36" with 60# limbs and a TRX 38 G2 with 70# limbs. I really wanted to go with the 34 due to me thinking a 36 was too long for my hunting style, but I also wanted to shoot as much draw weight as possible. So I gave the 38 a test drive and found that the bow didn't seem as long as it did on paper and therefore, I bought it. It wasn't until I already told the shop owner that I'd take it that I realized that it had a 7" brace height and my stomach immediately sank. I thought I had screwed up as this bow wouldn't be capable of producing enough energy for western big game hunting.
After having it setup and testing the new arrows that I wanted to use, I ran the numbers and found that I had PLENTY of energy to kill anything that calls North America home (+/- 67 ft/lbs). This was a relief, but I still wasn't sold on whether I had made a good decision or not, especially when you drop close to 2 grand on a bare bow. So I just prayed about it and left it in God's hands. A couple of months later Rokslide's Cold Bow Challenge came around and I thought that this was a good opportunity to put this thing to the test. I practiced up and the more I practiced, the more my confidence went up. In a short few weeks, my MER (Maximum Effective Range) went from 60 yards to 100 yards and I'll be real and tell you that I'm by no means what I'd consider a great shot.
Once the Cold Bow Challenge rolled around, I called my MER 100 yards with a 8" vital zone. I went 4 for 5 inside the 8" square and 3 of those were within a "Block" target's 6x7 hexagon. I was very pleased with the results, God had answered my prayers, and feel I now have the ultimate hunting bow. Now, the only thing left to do is to actually put an animal down with it. I'll follow up on this thread after the upcoming season and give ya'll my feed back.

View attachment 553406

Good shooting, people have hunted with longer bows in the past. A 38” bow isn’t an issue if you aren’t in a ground blind and don’t pack it in on your back. Snyder is hunting with an elite verdict this year which is their target bow of similar size. Looking forward to the post season follow up.

I would totally use a 38 ATA for hunting. As mentioned above, a ground blind would be the only possible concern.

My hunting bow is a Hoyt CRX with a 35 ATA.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Prior to this year, the shortest bow I've ever owned was 36 3/4" ATA, and I've hunted with my 38" PSE Freak for the past 8 years. Compared to a rifle, even my heavy bows are light and compact. I'll carry them wherever I need to go for elk hunting.

Long story short. My ATA "sweet spot" for hunting bows is in the 32"-34" range. Not too long, not too short, not too heavy, not too light. I don't get too hung up on brace height as modern day bow designs are so efficient. Anything in the 6" -7" BH range is okay for me. Comfortable hunting Midwest whitetails (treestand, blinds) to big country Western elk, mule deer, antelope with my Bowtech RealmX.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Compounds have energy to burn when it comes to killing critters…

The 46# recurve I hunted with for a couple years blew an arrow clean through just about everything- inc Moose…and I bet it doesn’t make 40ke. A very efficient BH design turns any arrow into a penetrating monster.

OP
Backcountry_Preacher

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
The 46# recurve I hunted with for a couple years blew an arrow clean through just about everything- inc Moose…and I bet it doesn’t make 40ke. A very efficient BH design turns any arrow into a penetrating monster.

I’ve shot the SEVR 1.5 for the past few years with good success and just started experimenting with the Grim Reaper Hades Fixed. I’d love to hear your thoughts on what a good broadhead is.

TheTone

WKR
My first good hunting bow was 37 a-a, 7 inch brace, 60 lbs and only about 400 grain arrows. I wasn’t worried about hunting anything with it. Accuracy with it was awesome. There are a bunch of current “target” bows I’d be really happy hunting with

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a Hoyt Pro Comp Elite XL in shiny black. 40" AtA, 63 lb at 31" draw. Tack driver. Going to a 3D shoot tomorrow and plan on hunting with it this fall. No issues here!!!!!!

My older son got my Elite Victory 37 also in black. My other son is shooting an anodized red Elite Energy 35. We all plan on hunting with ours.

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished putting together a Darton Veracity 35, it's by no means a real target bow but the way it holds, it's the closest thing I've shot with the intent to hunt with. I'd seriously consider shooting the Tempest 3D for hunting, honestly. As long as I can get an arrow heavier than 420 grains flying faster than 270 fps, I'm very comfortable hunting with it.

Marble

WKR

Thank you for saying that. A lot of guys do not appreciate how much more affective a really sharp, durable broadhead can make an arrow.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’ve never understood the short ATA bows. I think my shortest bow has been my prime CT9 39” and I shot a Martin scepter ll for about 8yrs that was 44”. Ive never been in a situation where I thought I needed a shorter bow.

Marble

WKR
I’ve never understood the short ATA bows. I think my shortest bow has been my prime CT9 39” and I shot a Martin scepter ll for about 8yrs that was 44”. Ive never been in a situation where I thought I needed a shorter bow.
I agree. I've had a few buddies get 29" bows because they fit in their truck, SxS or 4 wheeler better. I wasn't a fan.

After sitting a 34" bow and then something like a 29", it's night and day difference.

JStol5

WKR
I went from a 31 inch Mathews to a 34 inch Bowtech. I will probably never go shorter than 33 or 34 again. I am completely sold on getting longer hunting bows or "target" bows for hunting.

I find that I don't have to work as hard to make good, consistent shots.

OP
Backcountry_Preacher

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
I went from a 31 inch Mathews to a 34 inch Bowtech. I will probably never go shorter than 33 or 34 again. I am completely sold on getting longer hunting bows or "target" bows for hunting.

I find that I don't have to work as hard to make good, consistent shots.

I agree! I can’t see myself going back to a shorter bow anytime in the near future.

Beendare

WKR

I’ve shot the SEVR 1.5 for the past few years with good success and just started experimenting with the Grim Reaper Hades Fixed. I’d love to hear your thoughts on what a good broadhead is.
I’m not taking the bait on that one- grin…..that one is second only to the first rule of fight club….don’t insult another guys BH.

Bowhunters are VERY invested in their choice of BH…shoot what works for you. In my 4 decades of shooting compounds/recurves and every BH type there is and seeing hundreds of critters shot with all of those designs….I have settled on my choice.
Shoot what works for you….a long target bow works fine as do almost all BHs.

Last edited:
OP
Backcountry_Preacher

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not taking the bait on that one- grin…..that one is second only to the first rule of fight club….don’t insult another guys BH.

Bowhunters are VERY invested in their choice of BH…shoot what works for you. In my 4 decades of shooting compounds/recurves and every BH type there is and seeing hundreds of critters shot with all of those designs….I have settled on my choice.
Shoot what works for you.
Wasn’t baiting you up for anything. I just enjoy talking about what everyone is using, especially someone whose been in the game longer than I. I try and take any nugget I can get to see if it’s anything I’d like to try.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I agree. I've had a few buddies get 29" bows because they fit in their truck, SxS or 4 wheeler better. I wasn't a fan.

After sitting a 34" bow and then something like a 29", it's night and day difference.

I got a really good deal on a Triax a few years ago. I have a V3X 33 now and never again will I be shooting a bow as short as that Triax. It was stupid of me to think it would be comfortable with as long as my draw length is.

Beendare

WKR
Wasn’t baiting you up for anything. I just enjoy talking about what everyone is using, especially someone whose been in the game longer than I. I try and take any nugget I can get to see if it’s anything I’d like to try.
I know you had good intentions.…I was just messing around. Its true about guys and their BHs though.

My opinion; everything works from big mechs to 2 blades.
I do think a guy benefits from;
1) total passthru’s,

2) more penetration vs having the arrow stuck in the animal,

3) selecting your BH to compliment your setup

Re #1&2, critters die faster due to complete system failure.….vs the BH advertising convincing guys that its blood on the ground. 2 holes through the chest collapses the lungs faster…
An animal will go faster and further when they have an arrow hanging out of them. I’ve seen a pile of critters hit with a tapered COC 3 blade or a 2 blade that didn’t know they had been hit…they don’t go far and tip over. These heads slide in effortlessly.

#3 a guy shooting a compound over 60# has so much potential arrow energy literally every bow/arrow/bh combo works.

A guy like myself shooting a 50# recurve benefits from using a very efficient BH ( COC 2&3 blades at 2.5 to 1 taper) These BHs max out my arrows performance in a low energy bow.

Big mech heads work….but many are less efficient. The forward openers are much less efficient and have to plow their way in putting a lot of hair, hide and bone against the blade bevel Potentially dulling blades. Animals know they have been hit by these openers. Then tuning…its easy to shoot the efficient fixed heads to BH tune, touch them up and in your quiver. You KNOW that arrow is going to work…no guessing Like with mech heads And an arrow with poor spine that doesn’t show up until you slap a bh on there.

Bottom line….I really like the many advantages to those efficient BH designs especially 2 blades as they are so easy to sharpen and reuse lowering my cost of use to practically nothing…it makes for an easy and effective system.

You asked…..grin

OP
Backcountry_Preacher

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
I know you had good intentions.…I was just messing around. Its true about guys and their BHs though.

My opinion; everything works from big mechs to 2 blades.
I do think a guy benefits from;
1) total passthru’s,

2) more penetration vs having the arrow stuck in the animal,

3) selecting your BH to compliment your setup

Re #1&2, critters die faster due to complete system failure.….vs the BH advertising convincing guys that its blood on the ground. 2 holes through the chest collapses the lungs faster…
An animal will go faster and further when they have an arrow hanging out of them. I’ve seen a pile of critters hit with a tapered COC 3 blade or a 2 blade that didn’t know they had been hit…they don’t go far and tip over. These heads slide in effortlessly.

#3 a guy shooting a compound over 60# has so much potential arrow energy literally every bow/arrow/bh combo works.

A guy like myself shooting a 50# recurve benefits from using a very efficient BH ( COC 2&3 blades at 2.5 to 1 taper) These BHs max out my arrows performance in a low energy bow.

Big mech heads work….but many are less efficient. The forward openers are much less efficient and have to plow their way in putting a lot of hair, hide and bone against the blade bevel Potentially dulling blades. Animals know they have been hit by these openers. Then tuning…its easy to shoot the efficient fixed heads to BH tune, touch them up and in your quiver. You KNOW that arrow is going to work…no guessing Like with mech heads And an arrow with poor spine that doesn’t show up until you slap a bh on there.

Bottom line….I really like the many advantages to those efficient BH designs especially 2 blades as they are so easy to sharpen and reuse lowering my cost of use to practically nothing…it makes for an easy and effective system.

You asked…..grin
I’m glad I asked too haha… I love hearing other’s perspectives. You never know what you might pick up. Thanks for sharing