Talk me out of SG.

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I sold all my first lite stuff except for a few base layers. Now I’m looking to upgrade, I got my eye on SG, Kuiu and Sitka since they are coming out with solid color stuff now. I keep on going back to SG. Any reason why I shouldn’t go with SG? I like my pack and the few other things I got from them.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I sold all my first lite stuff except for a few base layers. Now I’m looking to upgrade, I got my eye on SG, Kuiu and Sitka since they are coming out with solid color stuff now. I keep on going back to SG. Any reason why I shouldn’t go with SG? I like my pack and the few other things I got from them.
Well Kuiu has a really good sale right now.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
What are you looking to get? All new clothing?

Pants: Fjallraven Barents or Vidda Pro
Base Layers: Smartwool or FL
Socks: Smartwool or Darn Tough
Mid Layer: Patagonia R1 Air
Windbreaker/Light Rain: Patagonia Houdini
Puffy: Kifaru LPP synthetic or Nunatak Custom down
Heavy Rain: Swazi Tahr and wax bottom half of Fjallraven pants.

That’s an expensive but bomb proof clothing setup.

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
What are you looking to get? All new clothing?

Pants: Fjallraven Barents or Vidda Pro
Base Layers: Smartwool or FL
Socks: Smartwool or Darn Tough
Mid Layer: Patagonia R1 Air
Windbreaker/Light Rain: Patagonia Houdini
Puffy: Kifaru LPP synthetic or Nunatak Custom down
Heavy Rain: Swazi Tahr and wax bottom half of Fjallraven pants.

That’s an expensive but bomb proof clothing setup.
I got the socks and base layers covered, I didn’t like my outer first lite stuff.

Sadler

WKR
If you’re hunting dry and brushy country, I’d stick with kuiu pants. The SG pants don’t have a mesh backer so everything that falls into your pants goes down your boot.

sr80

WKR
Im a big fan of all the SG apparel. I run a mix of SG and sitka, i did find their DH pants kinda noisey, and prefer the sitka ascent pant over them . But other than that all the other stuff is great. I find their stuff very functionable and durable.

wnelson14

WKR
Why not utilize all. Kuiu pants and midlayers are great, heard great things about SG merino. Born primitives new outdoor line I have high hopes for. With Kuius sale going on I would throw some money at some things and return what you don’t like that seems like a no brainer, I think there labeled return is like $7, that’s nothing when it comes to time and driving somewhere to acquire these items.

Most of what I own is SG, with some Kuiu stuff as well. I can tell you hands down SG customer service and support is far above the rest of them. That alone is worth it for me. I’ve also found their sizing to really work well for me, whereas others have been very hit and miss.

Dunndm

WKR
What is SG?
I use a combo of a few brands. Take the best from each IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claypa

FNG
Stone glacier. I have a some base layers. I really like their merino blend. Not super stretchy. No outerwear yet

I have some of about all of them. Sg and Sitka I use the most. Can’t say enough about sg customer service also. They have been top notch!

Jimss

WKR
I slowly have been switching from Sitka to kuiu. Kuiu pants fit my thin long frame very well. I’ve had great luck with Sitka but it tends to be a little heavier and bulky. If you get a jacket I’d advise pitzips. It’s also nice to have pockets in pants, shirts and jackets that are well thought out for your gear. Nice to have pockets for call even on outer shirts. I also like a vest. Vests can be used as an outer or an inside layer with freedom in arms.

schmalzy

WKR
I bought a set of SG M5 raingear last year for a moose hunt in Alaska, wore it for probably 12 of the 14 days. Absolutely LOVE IT……

No issues wetting out? Any chance you’ve compared it to any of the kuiu stuff?

Thanks

I have 3 merino tops and 1 pair of obsidian pants from first lite. I like them quite a bit but their sizing in the leg length really stinks for someone with a 30” inseam. I just started converting over to solid colors with Kuiu. I have some SG hoodies and shirts and I don’t like the fit at all! They put a seam just under your chest that makes it tighter around the top. I hate that. Reminds me of maternity clothes. Kuiu has a short inseam option that works really well for me and nothing I have from them is tight in the same sizes I always wear. I was avoiding buying Kuiu for a long time but I’m impressed now. I also like Sitka.