Talk me out of or into this rifle

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
If you want the best lightweight get a Rifles inc. I have 2 and they carry and shoot amazing.

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for

-Buy the new rifle, it sounds like it's time for it
and
-The 6.5 is the better answer for the hunt

Have a great hunt, man!

I think you have your target weight correct at 7.5 lbs. have played around going very light (below 7lbs loaded) and it is much harder to pull of the same shot of 8 pound rifle. From your current setup it sounds like you have a taste for premium. If you wanted to keep similar ergonomics in a folding chassis I would go with something like @Ryan Avery just built https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/6um.290585/unread

I would skip a a muzzle brake and go with a short action caliber (6mm would be where I would go) of your choice to keep recoil tolerable and save your hearing in quick shooting situations. After making a stock on a ram they are not always where you left them.

Whatever you decide slap that thing together and get shooting! Best of luck in 2024 and look forward to the after the hunt story/photos.

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
I think you have your target weight correct at 7.5 lbs. have played around going very light (below 7lbs loaded) and it is much harder to pull of the same shot of 8 pound rifle. From your current setup it sounds like you have a taste for premium. If you wanted to keep similar ergonomics in a folding chassis I would go with something like @Ryan Avery just built https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/6um.290585/unread

I would skip a a muzzle brake and go with a short action caliber (6mm would be where I would go) of your choice to keep recoil tolerable and save your hearing in quick shooting situations. After making a stock on a ram they are not always where you left them.

Whatever you decide slap that thing together and get shooting! Best of luck in 2024 and look forward to the after the hunt story/photos.
Haha, my taste for premium is dangerous. I really just want to do it right without regrets. I’m starting to lean towards the VA roadrunner https://vikingarmament.com/va-road-runner/ in 6.5PRC with an 18” barrel and the NF NXS 2.5-10. That should put me at 7.5lbs and will be the little brother to my 300PRC. My thought is between those two builds I should be set for a while! I have concerns with my shooting ability in much lighter than that. I need to be realistic and this old dog is still a bow hunter at heart and there’s only so much time in the day for me to fit in all my hobbies.

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a bigger guy and normally end up being the pack mule on hunts where extra gear of partners, ex-wife, kiddo, find their way into my pack. My favorite moose rifle is a bit hefty and wears some heavy NF glass, but I’d never ever take that rig or any heavy rifle on a sheep hunt. when it comes to sheep hunting, I’m still a newby in comparison to so many in this section of the board, but have taken a few rams myself, helped a few buddies on theirs, as well as my ex and daughter, so not without a basis for preferences in the Dall mountains.

I don’t think you would ever regret going light on your rifle. Never heard a sheep hunter say they wish they’d brought a heavier gun. I agree. I do, however, like my big spotter and most always carry my compact RRS tripod and compact ball head. I enjoy watching sheep and videoing/photographing them through my spotter, and my ex and daughter have both put it to double duty shooting their rams off of it. I’ve left it home only once since adding it to my kit and that was my solo hunt this season. I left the 95mm objective for my 65mm on my spotter and used my old gitzo traveler legs with my smallest RRS head. Being solo I trimmed weight everywhere I could—mostly to bring more food. (big guys gotta eat—and the more lean, the more muscle you’ll burn regardless how much food you bring).

Three days after end of my hunt, my hunting partner and I took my 10yr old daughter in for her hunt—and I carried the 95mm objective again and the RRS tripod. If we had a guide, I’d have left both though. Whether I hunt solo (this year was my first solo sheep hunt), with a partner, or the two times we had a third—we always just bring one spotter and tripod. I personally shoot mostly off my pack or trekking pole. (Admitting this year in a rush I shot my ram off-hand given how close we stalked in on each other, but even at that distance it reminded me why I don’t shoot off-hand—just not good at it regardless of practice)

SwiftShot

WKR
This post pertains to my 2024 NWT Dall hunt with Nahanni Butte outfitters. I’ll also admit I’m pretty new into the rifle game being a 50 year old mostly archery hunter, but I’ve been enjoying the process of learning and shooting more.

I’m currently running a Viking Armament Apex TI in 300 PRC, XLR Element 4.0 Magnesium Chassis, folding stock, Lone Peak Razor TI LAM bolt, Defiance AN TI X Action, Benchmark 22” Carbon Sendero Lite 1:10 Twist, topped with Nightforce NX8 4-32 x50. She weighs in a little over 9lbs and closer to 10lbs with my Tion Dragoon 7.62mm can. Heavy but I enjoy shooting her and it’s really my only option…Unless…..

I’m considering a CA Ridgeline FFT in 6.5PRC 18” barrel, topped with Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42, lightweight Hawkins rings. From my research it looks like this set up will be around 7.5lbs?

So…I know I can man up and take my 300 PRC, I’m in good physical shape living and recreating in CO. But, I also enjoy a lighter pack and do plan on taking my 65mm Swaro spotter and I’d like to take my RRS tripod with anvil head to shoot off of (weighing in at a massive 4lbs and change) that’s still TBD though as I also have a lightweight Slick and Outdoorsman micro pan head.

I appreciate your thoughts epically from those that have direct experience with hunting the NWT (helicopter support) and experience with the CA rifle/weight. THANK YOU
CA all the way.

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Now, for rifles—I’m a gun guy and first to admit I LOVE LOVE having an excuse to spin up another rifle. There are so many great options out there too. Ive had nothing but tiny tight groups from each Barrett Fieldcraft I’ve owned. Im surprised at how smooth and accurate my daughter’s Tikkas each shoot and easy they are on her—granted she shoots suppressed as well. For me personally, I’m a custom gun guy too, so I want what I want and like a solid gunsmith that can build exactly what I want with some helpful guidance as well.

For heavier builds, I’ve loved all the rigs GA Precision has built for me over the last 12-23 years from F-Class to long-range fun guns, including a few hunters as well. They built my first sheep rifle, but it finished quite a bit heavier than they anticipated. I carried it the first season in the Wrangells even though it tipped 8lbs with my NXS compact 2.5-10x42. (favorite hunting scope by the way and have several of them on various rigs). I’ve since replaced that rifle with a Lane Precision built around a MacBros ti action, ultralite manners carbon stock, spiral fluted bartlien 2B barrel cut to 21”. Rifle with Hawkins rings is several ounces shy of 6lbs, but is still weighted down with a NXS 2.5-10x42 as well. I’ve taken 4 rams with this rig and while I’ve also picked up a slew of NULAs, older ULAs and converted Colt Lite rifles that Forbes rebuilt, I still grab that Lane Precision.

Both the Lane and GAP builds were in 6.5 SAUM, which I love, but if rebuilding today, I’d also look to the 6.5PRC just because I could get box ammo if I wanted. I may still build another sheep rifle soon as I admit I do like the potential that 7mm PRC has on a standard action, but just love the 6.5 SAUM as a perfect mix for what is needed on a sheep hunt, especially one where you have a guide to back you up or up here deal with brown furries should a griz decide to pay a visit.

Another great option is the 280AI, especially if you decided to take a NULA for a spin as it will hold 3-down in the magazine and chamber empty for carry. If you go with a larger cases like 6.5 PRC on a NULA it’s only two down, so to carry three rounds, you’d have to roll with one in the chamber which I don’t do. My ex used my Kimber Mtn Ascent in 280AI, amd never even messed with working up a load on that gun as it shot federal premium with the 168 Berger’s into 1/2 moa in her hands off the RRS.

I‘ve owned a couple Gunwerks and a proof as well. They were cool, shot very well, but didn’t hold my fancy enough to keep onto them. That and the one gunwerks paid for several NULAs I lucked into from one gent.

Super stoked for you. Should prove an amazing hunting experience, and with the investment you are making, I’d make sure you go with the tools that will make the most of it. Great boots, great rifle, great glass—and whatever you choose for great photos. And don’t feel bad if you decide to get a new rifle—even an ultralite sheep rig, you can always sell it, and if like many, you‘ll need it again in the future. The sheep bug bites hard—regardless of age, and gives many of us the drive to climb and hit the gym all year long just for those amazing weeks in the sheep mountains.

IMO I'd bring a good spotting scope and phone scope setup. You'll never regret getting good video and pictures. I find it annoying trying to share a spotter especially when you're watching sheep. If you and your guide have a spotter you can both look and talk through what you are seeing in real time.

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Well I pulled the trigger on the Viking Armament Roadrunner 6.5 PRC with 18” barrel. It came down to my confidence in the VA builds, they are less than 2 hours from me and I wanted the folding stock. If I get along with this build I may end up selling my 300PRC. Again, I really appreciate all the feedback and none of the trolling negative comments that seem to come with too many forums these days. Thanks Roksliders! Now I wait.

mritter

FNG
Thanks, I have but will continue for sure as I’m in no huge hurry. I’ve actually not come across much in negative reviews on the Ridgeline FFT or regular Ridgeline. I was just talking to Jim Lancaster and he has the same exact setup in 6.5PRC and loves it. He’s loaned it out to hunters and he says the rifle has over 20 rams down. I would really like to hear your thoughts on it though-sometimes the bad reviews are more helpful than the good ones! Thanks.
If you do that Google Christensen thing you’ll find plenty of good reviews too. I have 3 of them and not a problem with one. My brother in law has two Ridgelines. My two best hunting buddies have Ridgelines. All are great shooting rifles that I’ve witnessed first hand.

Good luck on your hunt.

Depending on your budget, my vote would be to use your Element Chassis, but throw a compatible action in there, along with a 18" prefit carbon barrel that was chambered in whatever you desire and that fits.
Put that NXS 2.5-10 on top, obviously, because there is no better sheep scope made.
Grab a lighter tripod, like a RRS 1 series, but still use the Anvil on top to effectively shoot off of. Bringing along a Kowa 553 or a Swaro ATC would be ideal for a guided hunt, where you want to be able to glass, but don't need to pack the extra weight of a full size spotter. If you want to phone scope though, the wider eyepiece of the ATC will work much better.

Last edited:
I’m almost certain I’ll be in a lighter rifle for this hunt. I’m just in a deep dark rabbit hole of lightweight rifle builds! I’m pretty set on that 7.5lb mark all in minus cartridges. I’m liking the NF NXS 2.5-10x42 at 20.5 OZ. It’ll be a 6.5 PRC and ideally 18” barrel. I came across the Fierce Mountain Reaper and it actually checks a lot if not all of the boxes for me but dang there are some horror stories out there on Fierce as a company. I’m also concerned with fit and finish and if it’ll feel solid.
I’d take the Viking 300 prc. The folding chassis will be a huge advantage on a backpack hunt.

The difference in weight of the two rifles is about a days worth of food. It should not make or break your hunt.

The rifle I took on my dall hunt is damn near the same as your Viking 300 prc. The weight was very well appreciated when it came time to settle the cross hairs on a ram

IMG_1889.jpeg

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
I’d take the Viking 300 prc. The folding chassis will be a huge advantage on a backpack hunt.

The difference in weight of the two rifles is about a days worth of food. It should not make or break your hunt.

The rifle I took on my dall hunt is damn near the same as your Viking 300 prc. The weight was very well appreciated when it came time to settle the cross hairs on a ram

View attachment 547763
Hey! Nice knife! What brand, make and model knife is that? How many inches is the blade? Thanks

Attachments

• B1B48533-460D-45E3-A6BB-FE60A75F2769.jpeg
    B1B48533-460D-45E3-A6BB-FE60A75F2769.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 34
Hey! Nice knife! What brand, make and model knife is that? How many inches is the blade? Thanks
Thanks! I’m a bit of an overpriced gear dork. It is an Arno Bernard Kudu with kudu bone handle. 8” overall length with a 3.5” blade. Cannot say enough good things about it, got me away from my disposable blade addiction.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 39

schmalzy

WKR
Thanks! I’m a bit of an overpriced gear dork. It is an Arno Bernard Kudu with kudu bone handle. 8” overall length with a 3.5” blade. Cannot say enough good things about it, got me away from my disposable blade addiction.

I too am an overpriced gear dork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
Nice!!! What type of Steel material is it S35VN? Thanks for getting back to me. I am going to buy one of these!

Nice!!! What type of Steel material is it S35VN? Thanks for getting back to me. I am going to buy one of these!
Its a newer steel that was designed to be well balanced for toughness and edge retention without being too difficult to hone an edge in the field. I would say that is true. I use a portable WorkSHarp in the field, and i have only touched up the blade with the leather strop so far and it is still as sharp as the day I took it home.

Argali Outdoors uses the steel in some of their knives.