Talk me out of or into this rifle

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
This post pertains to my 2024 NWT Dall hunt with Nahanni Butte outfitters. I’ll also admit I’m pretty new into the rifle game being a 50 year old mostly archery hunter, but I’ve been enjoying the process of learning and shooting more.

I’m currently running a Viking Armament Apex TI in 300 PRC, XLR Element 4.0 Magnesium Chassis, folding stock, Lone Peak Razor TI LAM bolt, Defiance AN TI X Action, Benchmark 22” Carbon Sendero Lite 1:10 Twist, topped with Nightforce NX8 4-32 x50. She weighs in a little over 9lbs and closer to 10lbs with my Tion Dragoon 7.62mm can. Heavy but I enjoy shooting her and it’s really my only option…Unless…..

I’m considering a CA Ridgeline FFT in 6.5PRC 18” barrel, topped with Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42, lightweight Hawkins rings. From my research it looks like this set up will be around 7.5lbs?

So…I know I can man up and take my 300 PRC, I’m in good physical shape living and recreating in CO. But, I also enjoy a lighter pack and do plan on taking my 65mm Swaro spotter and I’d like to take my RRS tripod with anvil head to shoot off of (weighing in at a massive 4lbs and change) that’s still TBD though as I also have a lightweight Slick and Outdoorsman micro pan head.

I appreciate your thoughts epically from those that have direct experience with hunting the NWT (helicopter support) and experience with the CA rifle/weight. THANK YOU

cbeard64

WKR
I have hunted BC and the Yukon several times.
Took a 9 lb. rifle on my first hunt in 2006.
Took a 9 1/2 pound rifle on a desert sheep hunt in AZ in 2014.
Switched to a 7 1/4 lb rifle (total weight scope, sling, loaded) after that.

I would never go back to a heavier rifle. Many will say “it’s only a couple of pounds”, etc., etc. To me, rifle weight is much different than pack weight. That said, I am not a fan of the super ultralights either. 7-8 lbs is the happy medium IMO. But I’m not a strapping mountain athlete like many are - just a regular dude who tries his best to prepare in advance.

As for the details of the setup, that’s personal to you. As long as you like it and shoot it well, that’s all that really matters.

Just my thoughts.

S-3 ranch

WKR
I have hunted BC and the Yukon several times.
Took a 9 lb. rifle on my first hunt in 2006.
Took a 9 1/2 pound rifle on a desert sheep hunt in AZ in 2014.
Switched to a 7 1/4 lb rifle (total weight scope, sling, loaded) after that.

I would never go back to a heavier rifle. Many will say “it’s only a couple of pounds”, etc., etc. To me, rifle weight is much different than pack weight. That said, I am not a fan of the super ultralights either. 7-8 lbs is the happy medium IMO. But I’m not a strapping mountain athlete like many are - just a regular dude who tries his best to prepare in advance.

As for the details of the setup, that’s personal to you. As long as you like it and shoot it well, that’s all that really matters.

Just my thoughts.
Yeah well said
I was packing a 10lbs 300wm all over the place, recently switching to a 7lbs .270 I don’t know if I could go back to 10-11 lbs

OMB

WKR
This post pertains to my 2024 NWT Dall hunt with Nahanni Butte outfitters. I’ll also admit I’m pretty new into the rifle game being a 50 year old mostly archery hunter, but I’ve been enjoying the process of learning and shooting more.

I’m currently running a Viking Armament Apex TI in 300 PRC, XLR Element 4.0 Magnesium Chassis, folding stock, Lone Peak Razor TI LAM bolt, Defiance AN TI X Action, Benchmark 22” Carbon Sendero Lite 1:10 Twist, topped with Nightforce NX8 4-32 x50. She weighs in a little over 9lbs and closer to 10lbs with my Tion Dragoon 7.62mm can. Heavy but I enjoy shooting her and it’s really my only option…Unless…..

I’m considering a CA Ridgeline FFT in 6.5PRC 18” barrel, topped with Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42, lightweight Hawkins rings. From my research it looks like this set up will be around 7.5lbs?

So…I know I can man up and take my 300 PRC, I’m in good physical shape living and recreating in CO. But, I also enjoy a lighter pack and do plan on taking my 65mm Swaro spotter and I’d like to take my RRS tripod with anvil head to shoot off of (weighing in at a massive 4lbs and change) that’s still TBD though as I also have a lightweight Slick and Outdoorsman micro pan head.

I appreciate your thoughts epically from those that have direct experience with hunting the NWT (helicopter support) and experience with the CA rifle/weight. THANK YOU

4-32X scope is absolutely overkill for where you're going and the types of shots you'll have. Obviously won't be able to bring the suppressor, and I would check your overall length with stock folding to make sure it's Canada legal.

I was originally going to take my Ridgeline in 300 WM with a 3-15 on it (8.5 lbs total) and when Covid pushed my hunt, I started fiddling around with a Kimber Montana in 6.5 Creed with a 3-10. 6 pounds flat all in and felt comfortable making shots of a pack out to 500 yards with it, I'm glad I did it. Ended up taking my shot at 140 yards, it's pretty rare to be shooting past 400 yards in the NWT. I wouldn't hesitate to take an FFT Ridgeline, but there's other guns out there in the same weight class to look at too.

I would honestly also drop the tripod and spotter. Your guide is going to have one and generally let you use it to look at whatever you want. Even for just looking at stuff far out, I didn't see a reason to pack one for myself and really happy that I didn't.

S.Clancy

WKR
I hunt with a 9.5 lb Winchester .270 now. I threaten to get rid of it all the time, but it flat out shoots ridiculously well. I bought my GF a lightweight gun, 7lbs scoped and loaded with the idea I could use it when I went on tougher hunts....it sure is nice carrying that lighter gun, but I shoot the heavier one much more accurately over 400 yds. The light guns really show form issues.

TN2shot07

WKR
I wish I could speak to carrying a rifle that heavy sheep hunting but no luck.

I did have the opportunity to shoot one of the ffts in 6.5 prc 2 weeks ago. I think it would be pretty close to ideal to haul around the mountains. We shot it with one of the sig scopes (honestly not sure which one) and the factory radial brake, no issues out to 500 with factory eldx ammo. I’d shoot it without a brake if it was mine but it’d probably be a little snappy. I would happily pick one up if I hadn’t just put together a Model 7

SDHNTR

WKR
No need for a spotter, your guide will have one. No need for a heavy tripod either. There’s almost always rocks in sheep country you can shoot off of with pack. Take a lightweight bipod and small GitLite rear bag if you really feel like you’ll need some support.

I like the idea of a lighter rifle, but not a Christiansen!

You don’t need a new gun. Your .300 wm is plenty light if you ditch the can (which is off the table anyways) and if you really wanted to shave another half pound you could go with a lighter scope. Put a NXS 2.5-10x42 and rock on!

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Having the proper rifle sling system to secure to your backpack and to your body makes the rifle much less of a burden if carrying a 11# vs 8" setup (you need to weigh as will carry so shells, bipod, scope cover, etc).

If you are climbing and hiking with the rifle bouncing on your shoulder with a single strap then that is more tiring than the effect of +3 pounds. My opinion and have done a lot of miles on side hills and uphills and slick footing and mountain-goated up a few rock ledges. Single strap is no bueno. The rifle falls from shoulder to elbow and then rotates smacking something including hard things with the scope or crown of barrel is hit.

schmalzy

WKR
My vote is go lighter. That’s a lot of rifle.

I brought a spotter and tripod on my hunt and would do so again, but also shaved a bunch of weight in other areas. If you’re not super hung up and wanting to glass while your guide glasses I’d leave it as it’s heavy, but I’m 100% glad I brought mine.

Excited for you. I swear the year lead up/train up/gear testing that went on prior to my trip was really enjoyable and made my trip that much better having tested and used everything I brought.

gtriple

WKR
Drop the scope to the NXS 2.5-10X42 and leave the can at home. That'll save you 1-2lbs right there. Probably be around 8lbs. The Ridgeline won't be much lighter.

The XLR folding stock is worth the weight IMO.

For such an expensive hunt, take the rifle you are most confident with, within reason.

bradb

WKR
I would drop the scope to smaller and probably leave the spotter. I shot my Dall and Stone off my RRS anvil, plan to shoot a desert off of it in 18 days. I think you said Can? dont think that can go into Canada so that would drop the weight some.

Scottf270

WKR
I hunted moose with Nahanni Butte twice. There are weight and space restrictions when it comes to the helicopter. Flying time is big money and Jim and Clay try to maximize it.

They are not gonna let a guy bang away at long range. I agree on leaving the spotter and extra weight items behind. Doing this leaves more weight for other items that might actually make your hunt better.

Your best bet is to talk to Jim and let him answer your questions. He is a great guy and is always happy to help. I hope to see him in Nashville in February at SCI.

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
My vote is go lighter. That’s a lot of rifle.

I brought a spotter and tripod on my hunt and would do so again, but also shaved a bunch of weight in other areas. If you’re not super hung up and wanting to glass while your guide glasses I’d leave it as it’s heavy, but I’m 100% glad I brought mine.

Excited for you. I swear the year lead up/train up/gear testing that went on prior to my trip was really enjoyable and made my trip that much better having tested and used everything I brought.
I could not agree more-I love the planning process of each hunt I go on whether it be in my home state or travel hunts. I’m’ pretty sure I’ll be bringing my spotter, I enjoy watching animals do animal things too much to share or wait my turn.

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
I'd do some google research on Christianson.
Thanks, I have but will continue for sure as I’m in no huge hurry. I’ve actually not come across much in negative reviews on the Ridgeline FFT or regular Ridgeline. I was just talking to Jim Lancaster and he has the same exact setup in 6.5PRC and loves it. He’s loaned it out to hunters and he says the rifle has over 20 rams down. I would really like to hear your thoughts on it though-sometimes the bad reviews are more helpful than the good ones! Thanks.

If the rest of your gear is dialed in, get a lighter setup.

If you have a lot of costly stuff to buy, lug the monster around the mountains.

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
If the rest of your gear is dialed in, get a lighter setup.

If you have a lot of costly stuff to buy, lug the monster around the mountains.
I’m pretty dialed in at this point in my hunting career but I’m also a gear junkie so sure I’ll find more kit I “need” before August 2024!