Talk me out of an APR tomahawk

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the market for a new hunting rig
Narrowed down to 7prc based off what calibers I already own

Wants… light weight, carbon barrel, suppressor ready, moa accuracy expected from a custom gun like Apr makes, to spend 5k or so

So the real question, the tomahawk from APR in 7prc with a 22 inch barrel really caught my interest… does anyone want to talk me out of of getting one and getting something else??

Hnthrdr

WKR
Not here to talk you out, but there are probably quite a few options for half the cost that will shoot great if you wanted to save some coin… at a certain point I think there are diminishing cost returns to certain price points of rifle. After 2-3k or so I don’t know that you are going to get much more “accuracy” maybe a little finer fit and finish at least I would hope so, but good action+trigger+barrel+stock. Machining tolerances seem pretty tight these days even in production off the shelf type rifles

OP
hartigjosh

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t disagree with you
Before this I looked at a proof mtr
I think the seekins rifles are a phenomenal bang for buck but want the carbon barrel

Hnthrdr

WKR
Any reason for having to have the CF barrel? I have a couple of rifles with them, they are cool but I can’t say that it makes them magically more accurate than my plain old steel barrels

mt100gr.

WKR
Is 22" your only option? Depending on which suppressor you like and the terrain you hunt you should consider the overall length. I'd be looking at 18".

OP
hartigjosh

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
I could go shorter
Used to 26 in barrels with brakes so I figured 20-22 with suppressor added on

OP
hartigjosh

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
I say go for it if it checks the boxes for you. I’d definitely look at 18-20 if you will shoot suppressed. Robert and crew make some fine sticks over there.
I looked at the muzzle velocity between 24, 22, and 20 inch barrels that some review on YouTube did for the 7prc awhile back and i remember the 20 was still plenty
I got to go back and look now and will reviews with Apr

Their website shows an XLR envy and marksman contour steel barrel but it sounds like you want to modify it significantly.

Putting a carbon barrel in a heavy chassis doesn't make sense.. Do they build them on the element chassis too because that would make more sense than the envy.

Edit: nevermind.. looks like "tomahawk" basically means anything in a chassis config. Something configured like this one linked below would probably work well for what you've described. I'd not go longer than 20" for dedicated suppressed shooting. Price seems good. Not really much fat on that would be trimmed off if you sourced all new parts and assembled with prefit yourself. I'd not spend extra $ for a carbon barrel but understand people think they are cool.

Last edited:
OP
hartigjosh

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
Their website shows an XLR envy and marksman contour steel barrel but it sounds like you want to modify it significantly.

Putting a carbon barrel in a heavy chassis doesn't make sense.. Do they build them on the element chassis too because that would make more sense than the envy.

Edit: nevermind.. looks like "tomahawk" basically means anything in a chassis config. Something configured like this one linked below would probably work well for what you've described. I'd not go longer than 20" for dedicated suppressed shooting. Price seems good. Not really much fat on that would be trimmed off if you sourced all new parts and assembled with prefit yourself. I'd not spend extra $ for a carbon barrel but understand people think they are cool.

I own zero rifles with carbon so just want to try it on the next build that’s all