Dilemma: Semi custom Tikka build on budget vs. 7PRC factory rifle

Yes, but can't tell. A rep for a major retailer that carries most rifle brands (including Tikka) mentioned it to me. We were talking about good value accurate long distance shooting rifles don't require a second mortgage to purchase. I've pretty much boiled down my 7PRC choice to the X-Bolt (suppressor ready, 20") or Tikka (If they come out with a long range version with adjustable stock. That may be too much of a reach for this European rifle maker (Sako/Tikka).
This makes me so happy to hear, really hope it’s early in the year so I can shoot it all summer.

So, I sold my Tikka. I’m still not sure I made the right choice but it was mostly a financial one. I only hunted 2.5 days of rifle season this year and a new stock and barrel were going to be more than I wanted to spend with the considerations I have. If some of the barrel companies and stock companies have significant sales for Black Friday, I may end up regretting it. I am going to wait until after Shot Show to see what shakes out and in what direction things are going before deciding on a rifle. I need a decent workhorse of a rifle that can carry me through the next 5-7 years to see where I go in terms of rifle hunting and shooting. 6.5 PRC, 6.8 Western and 7 PRC are all still in the running. Thank you all that gave input.
Any update on this? After reading the thread, I’m curious to hear how your build may have turned out if you’ve completed it. Apologies if I’ve missed it elsewhere. I’m new to the forums. I’m in a relatively similar position as I’m wanting to begin accumulating components for my own 7 PRC build.

OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
Any update on this? After reading the thread, I’m curious to hear how your build may have turned out if you’ve completed it. Apologies if I’ve missed it elsewhere. I’m new to the forums. I’m in a relatively similar position as I’m wanting to begin accumulating components for my own 7 PRC build.
Welcome. This forum is a great place to soak up information.

So, I sold my Tikka. Then after after hours (days) on Rokslide, I decided to build a semi-custom Tikka. I decided on 6.5 PRC after reading and buying into the shift to lighter calibers. I used the holiday sales to stretch my budget. I purchased a Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15 and a new Tikka 300WM that I sent to CarbonSix for a rebarrel to a 20” 6.5 PRC. I also ordered a Stocky’s VG Hunter. I am still waiting on my barreled action and stock, so I haven’t updated this thread yet. I want to get it all put together and be able to shoot it to see if I made the right decision. Once I’ve had a chance to dial it in, I will report back with a longer post about weights, accuracy and the process of the build. This is my first time dipping my toe into these waters so I am still waiting with bated breath to see how it turns out.

Last edited:

So, I sold my Tikka. Then after after hours (days) on Rokslide, I decided to build a semi-custom Tikka. I decided on 6.5 PRC after reading and buying into the shift to lighter calibers. I used the holiday sales to stretch my budget. I purchased a Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15 and a new Tikka 300WM that I sent to CarbonSix for a rebarrel to a 20” 6.5 PRC. I also ordered a Stocky’s VG Hunter. I am still waiting on my barreled action and stock, so I haven’t updated this thread yet. I want to get it all put together and be able to shoot it to see if I made the right decision. Once I’ve had a chance to dial it in, I will report back with a longer post about weights, accuracy and the process of the build. This is my first time dipping my toe into these waters so I am still waiting with bated breath to see how it turns out.
Congrats! Thanks for the update. I have questions that I will (try to 🤪) wait to ask once you post the full summary so as not to be redundant.

Gila

WKR

Congrats! Very nice rig!

The inlets on the stock are a bit tight, so will most likely need a bit of sanding. I don’t have a Sendero barrel channel but the other two contour profiles are tight. The turrets on the Trijicon HX are a bit stiff out of the box, but should loosen enough after you twist them a few times. The 6.5 PRC is a better choice IMO. Plenty for just about anything you can get a tag for out here. Some hand loaders like the 6.5 x 284 Norma which is a sweet round in a Tikka as well. I went with the 284 Win and stick a 162 eld on top. No factory ammo available for the 284 Win though.

OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! Thanks for the update. I have questions that I will (try to 🤪) wait to ask once you post the full summary so as not to be redundant.
Ask away. Or you can PM me. However, I’m not sure I’m the best person to be answering your questions as this is my first attempt at this. But the nice thing about this place is that others with way more experience are sure to chime in.

Ask away. Or you can PM me. However, I’m not sure I’m the best person to be answering your questions as this is my first attempt at this. But the nice thing about this place is that others with way more experience are sure to chime in.
I’m in a similar position so I think I can definitely benefit from your experience. I would PM but I’m still figuring this out and don’t see that as an available option, perhaps because my account is new and I don’t have enough interactions to activate that feature yet? Either way, look forward to hearing more about the process and the $$ side of things, as much you’re willing to share, when you’ve got it all wrapped up. Thanks again.