Dilemma: Semi custom Tikka build on budget vs. 7PRC factory rifle

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
I have been soaking up Rokslide knowledge for a while but I’m not much of a poster. I now have a dilemma I need advice about. So, I finally created an account in order to seek counsel from the Rokslide Forum knowledge collective.
There have been similar threads about a similar dilemmas but mine differs a little in limited price and platform. I am primarily a bow hunter but took a mule deer a few years ago with a rifle and envision doing more. I am a “one rifle” guy and would like to upgrade my one rifle to extended my effective range. Here are my parameters;

a) I have decided on 7PRC. I would like a 20” or 22” inch barrel. I will hunt suppressed when my can finally gets approved. This will do all I need in terms of range and authority. I will mostly hunt mule deer and elk in Washington and hopefully take an antelope trip in the next few years. I would be perfectly happy with a true 1 MOA gun. I am looking for “easy” accuracy though. I don’t reload and I don’t want to chase the perfect rifle and ammo combo. This is why the tighter tolerances and inherent accuracy of the 7PRC appealed to me. I enjoy shootingrifles but getting to a range to regularly fidget with things is not practical for me at this stage of my life.

b) I put plenty of miles on my boots when hunting but the rifle does not have to be ultralight. I will trade ounces for shootability in multiple positions. A well designed stock or chassis is important. I would like the bare rifle to weigh around 7 lbs., give or take a few ounces.

c) I would like to keep the cost of the rifle below $1,800 ($1,800 in new costs in scenario 2 below). I know this is a beer budget but I have too many hobbies and my kids play too many sports. I already purchased a suppressor and I still need to decide on an optic so this will be, by far, the most expensive firearm I will have ever purchased.

Here are the two options I am contemplating;
1) Purchase a new rifle in 7PRC with the above criteria. Options are something like the Bergara B-14 Squared Crest or the Savage 110 Ultralight. I also think that this year’s Shot Show will yield additonal factory 7PRC options that fit my stipulations.

2) The “one rifle” I am looking to upgrade from is a Tikka T3X in 30-06. I love the buttery smooth action but want to upgrade for a few different reasons. Can I use this for a budget custom build? If I purchase a barrel from Preferred Barrel Blanks and send in my barreled action, they will put the new barrel on it for about $125. Can I just drop that barreled action into a new stock or chassis and be ready to go or are there steps and components that I am missing? My tinkering skills are limited so let’s not overestimatewhat I can do in this process. I know I will need a new bolt with a magnum bolt face (approx. $500), the steel barrel, labor for barrel switch and cerakote (approx. $750 if I go through PBB) and stock/chassis (approx. $600-$800). This puts me at the edge of my budget but I don’t know if there will be components or gunsmith labor that I am overlooking.

The real question is, which option will give me the best rifle for what I desire in my admittedly limited price range? Will I get the “easy accuracy” that I am looking for on the budget rifle without a bunch of tinkering or added expenses? Will it shoot better than the factory rifle with similar reliability?

Before I leave this to the forum, I want to thank those who reply for taking the time to share their knowledge. It is appreciated.

I picked up a Tikka and sent it to McGowen for a new barrel. If I went factory I would get a Browning SR or a CA.

TaperPin

WKR
I enjoy a new barrel as much as the next guy, but you can get 1 moa accuracy with a factory gun. The design of the Tikka bolt face is quite simple and easy for a gunsmith to open up for the larger casehead. Probably $125 to $150 - much cheaper than a replacement bolt.

It’s kind of funny how many Tikkas are getting rebarreled for the 6.5 - take off barrels in magnum calibers are so common someone could have two 7 mag barrels fitted to an existing action for less than a fancy dinner in Vegas.

Ive had several custom hunting rifles. The higher end production guns are good enough for me unless I want that final Nth of accuracy or a specific feature. We're hunting, not bench rest shooting.

I think all Tikka actions are the same length, just different magazines. I rebarreled a 300WM into a 7PRC. You should be able to order up a prefit and screw the new barrel on yourself. Buy a stockys stock and new bottom metal and you've got the rifle you're looking for. There might be a difference I'm the bolt face?

I would stay away from Bergarbage. They've been cranking out some turds lately that will have you wasting ammo and time...

If you can wait until 2024, Tikka is coming out with a 7PRC. Don't know if the stock cheekpiece will be adjustable. I've looked at the Browning X-Bolt LR and there's much I like. Fairly decent stock, adjustable cheekpiece, okay trigger, optional suppressor ready version (20" or 22" threaded barrel). I'm leaning towards the Browning 7PRC X-Bolt suppressor ready with 20" barrel.

BTW, which company did you use to facilitate your "Can" purchase? What was the total cost, Can plus administrative fees?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’d sell current tikka to add to your budget and get a seekins element in your desired caliber.
This is what I would do, 100%. Seekins is as good as a custom, IMO.

I have built DIY and done full custom. The price of a Seekins and quality is too good to pass up if you want a factory cartridge.

OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
If you can wait until 2024, Tikka is coming out with a 7PRC. Don't know if the stock cheekpiece will be adjustable. I've looked at the Browning X-Bolt LR and there's much I like. Fairly decent stock, adjustable cheekpiece, okay trigger, optional suppressor ready version (20" or 22" threaded barrel). I'm leaning towards the Browning 7PRC X-Bolt suppressor ready with 20" barrel.

BTW, which company did you use to facilitate your "Can" purchase? What was the total cost, Can plus administrative fees?
I went with Capitol Armory, mostly because they had a sale on the Silencer Co Harvester Evo that I had decided on. They have been pretty easy to work with so far with no added fees other than the tax stamp, WA sales tax and the shipping cost to have it mailed to your door. I already had a trust so I didn’t need that service.

OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Tikka and sent it to McGowen for a new barrel. If I went factory I would get a Browning SR or a CA.
Can I ask what the total cost was from McGowen and what that included? Did you drop that into a stock or chassis when you got it back or did they do it? How does it shoot?

Can I ask what the total cost was from McGowen and what that included? Did you drop that into a stock or chassis when you got it back or did they do it? How does it shoot?
I have done this with 3 rifles now and they all shot great, although one had to be returned for a bad chamber. Send the action or barreled action and they attach the new barrel. Pricing is on the website depending on what you want. I think mine have been around $600 installed and shipped back to me. Then you can put it in the stock of your choice. There is a thread on them you should probably read as they have a hit or miss reputation. My PRC had to go back as the first round I fired I couldnt get the case out. There was a burr in the chamber. There are a few other places that do the same thing, just search for Tikka prefits.

Spending $500 for a bolt is pretty counter productive when you could just buy another T3X magnum for $650 and then sell your rifle for an easy $500 minimum and be at most $150 more into the correct action and have matching numbers on the bolt and action too.

There’s nothing wrong with your 30-06 though and 7PRC isn’t going to do anything the 06 won’t do inside of 600 yards. If I were me I’d put that money towards a better stock/chassis and optic on the perfectly adequate rifle you already own instead of blowing a bunch of money on a new rifle because the gun rags have everybody convinced they need some flavor of PRC now to go kill shit.

OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
Spending $500 for a bolt is pretty counter productive when you could just buy another T3X magnum for $650 and then sell your rifle for an easy $500 minimum and be at most $150 more into the correct action and have matching numbers on the bolt and action too.

There’s nothing wrong with your 30-06 though and 7PRC isn’t going to do anything the 06 won’t do inside of 600 yards. If I were me I’d put that money towards a better stock/chassis and optic on the perfectly adequate rifle you already own instead of blowing a bunch of money on a new rifle because the gun rags have everybody convinced they need some flavor of PRC now to go kill shit.

OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
In reply to you and PNWGATOR. I like the 30-06 cartridge but I would like to shoot monometal bullets, especially for elk and keep impact velocities above 2,200 fps (Let’s not get in a debate about copper vs lead bullets). Hornady Superformance 165 gr CX ups the muzzle velocity but only stays above 2,200 fps to about 380 yards. Additionally, I haven’t been able to get the accuracy I want with that round in my rifle.

The 7PRC should keep the 160gr Outfitter CX round above 2,200 impact velocity to about 530 yards even with a 20” barrel. That extra 150 yards is with the change to me.

I totally get wanting to shoot copper bullets, you don’t have to convince me. There are better choices than the Hornady bullets though and you’re seriously limiting yourself by assuming that one option will shoot well in your rifle. Given my experience with inconsistencies with Hornady ammo I would not bank of that. Superformance is some of the absolute worst of their lines too.

Barnes loads the LRX for 30-06 and it expands down to like 1650fps which will significantly extend the effective range.

At the very least it would be worth picking up a couple boxes of the Barnes to see how your rifle likes it. If it doesn’t you still have a lot more choices for copper bullets with 06 than you do with 7PRC.

I agree with others that you have absolutely no reason to change to a 7prc. I get that it’s the new cool thing but it is nothing special and ballistics wise it will only shine in 500 yard plus scenarios. With 1800 to spend you should wait and get one of the new rok stocks from stockys that will be coming out in the next few months. Also get your barrel cut down and threaded for your can that’s coming. Then buy a set of um scope rings and a trijicon credo/tenmile or a nightforce shv. If you’re dead set on a rebarrel you will need a new bolt. You can try to trade your bolt on the classifieds here that would be the cheapest option.

OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
I totally get wanting to shoot copper bullets, you don’t have to convince me. There are better choices than the Hornady bullets though and you’re seriously limiting yourself by assuming that one option will shoot well in your rifle. Given my experience with inconsistencies with Hornady ammo I would not bank of that. Superformance is some of the absolute worst of their lines too.

Barnes loads the LRX for 30-06 and it expands down to like 1650fps which will significantly extend the effective range.

At the very least it would be worth picking up a couple boxes of the Barnes to see how your rifle likes it. If it doesn’t you still have a lot more choices for copper bullets with 06 than you do with 7PRC.
Yeah, I agree with most of that but I don’t totally believe the expansion claims with low impact velocities with copper bullets. I would also like to shoot and hunt suppressed and my Tikka is not threaded and has the this stock barrel profile.