Talk me out of a tikka

IDVortex

WKR
Honestly, you shouldn't be talked out of the Tikka, you should be talked out of the cartridge. You need a bigger cartridge shooting higher weight bullets for maximum energy.

grfox92

WKR
Honestly, you shouldn't be talked out of the Tikka, you should be talked out of the cartridge. You need a bigger cartridge shooting higher weight bullets for maximum energy.
Energy? What bullet manufacturers list FT LBs of energy for terminal performance? Please explain?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

I'm trying to fathom how a Ruger American is a throw away rifle - unless you mean that price-wise you might as well replace the rifle when the barrel is shot out. My Tikka is better in every way, but I expect to get a lot of service out of my two Rugers.

grfox92

WKR
I'm trying to fathom how a Ruger American is a throw away rifle - unless you mean that price-wise you might as well replace the rifle when the barrel is shot out. My Tikka is better in every way, but I expect to get a lot of service out of my two Rugers.
Have you ever heard of one being re barreled? How many semi customs have you seen built off a ruger american? Id bet the Ruger American has been the best selling rifle in the country for the last several years.Yet no one is building any custom rifles off of them and there's a reason for it. There is virtually no aftermarket support for a rifle that is sold by the truck load.

I bought into the hype of the RA and bought one. After wasting hundreds of dollars on components and a lot of my valuable time, it got sent back to Ruger and came back with a new barrel and it shoots great now.....when I can get it to feed a round while cycling the bolt. This RA .308 is my primary rifle and it shoots great. But I will never buy another one. It's very accurate right now no doubt, but it's still junky. Ill say it again, Tikka, Howa, Browning, Savage110, are all better options.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

BCD

WKR
Handle a t3x and a Browning x bolt before buying. IMO an x bolt is every bit as good as a T3x in factory form. Lot of people on here agree too. But on the other hand I like my T3x equally well. The only problem I have with my t3x is the action is so smooth that every time I don't believe it cycled a new shell. But every time I'm wrong.
I would take an Xbolt over any Tikka. Much better looking rifle as well. To me Tikka is the ugliest rifle ever made. Not that the looks of a firearm are the most important thing by any means but man they are homely!!

Mcfish

FNG
I would take an Xbolt over any Tikka. Much better looking rifle as well. To me Tikka is the ugliest rifle ever made. Not that the looks of a firearm are the most important thing by any means but man they are homely!!
My Browning triggers aren't nearly as good as my Tikka's. Has Browning improved their triggers much in the last few years? Honest question... I love the fit and finish of my Brownings

Mild thread hijack but went to the nearest Tikka thread.

I know how to pull the barreled action to adjust trigger weight, but anyone have luck simply dropping the magazine and accessing trigger weight screw through that small access opening? I want to increase my poundage 1/2 lb and don’t want to pull action.

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
My Browning triggers aren't nearly as good as my Tikka's. Has Browning improved their triggers much in the last few years? Honest question... I love the fit and finish of my Brownings

No, sadly. In my opinion, they could be doing a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
A $15 trigger spring from MCarbo turns it into one of the best triggers on the market. I think that's why the xbolt is so underrated. It has an awful trigger out of the box. But dropping one of those springs in it turns it into a thing of beauty. And to be honest my Tikka trigger had more creep out of the box. Both triggers needed a new spring and after that cheap upgrade they were amazing.

Reactions: BCD
I’d take a Browning X-Bolt (with a $20 trigger spring upgrade) or Seekins PH2 over a Tikka any day of the week. I’ve had all three now..

The Tikka has more aftermarket comparability and a bombproof reputation, hence the cult like following. That said, they aren’t without their flaws and most people are going to end up spending some additional coin on them to get them configured how they want them.

The Seekins PH2 is the easy button for a sub $2k factory rifle.

Mild thread hijack but went to the nearest Tikka thread.

I know how to pull the barreled action to adjust trigger weight, but anyone have luck simply dropping the magazine and accessing trigger weight screw through that small access opening? I want to increase my poundage 1/2 lb and don’t want to pull action.
Could you drill a hole thru the front of the trigger guard to access it, or use the short end of an Allen wrench to get in there. I don’t have a tikka in front of me to look